all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Geoff Neupert P3 protocol

In a way this is a more structured approach, and a bit more like rehab/prehab protocols, focusing on the earlier development type resets.

For me, this did not work as well as the playful OS approach. But YMMV.
Like both approaches depending on the situation or trainee..

Friend of mine prefers P3 over OS, I'm more of an OS guy

Each position takes around 20 minutes. Therefore if I do all of them it’s an hour. Did all three positions the last two days but it takes too long for me. At some point I just want to go to bed and sleep.

Need to re-read the manual to check the programming. When reading it first time I got it the way that all three positions should be done in one session which takes 20 minutes in total.

Maybe @Geoff Neupert can jump in on that one?
@Tobias Wissmueller ,

You'll only do one level from each position. That should take about 20 minutes or so, once you settle into the "rhythm."

What I've found over the years is that when people first get started, it takes a little while to get used to all the breathing and head control simply because their CNS's are in an overly-excited state. And that takes awhile to normalize/calm down.

I timed myself doing all 3 positions, level 3, and got it done right around 21 minutes.

Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

When I did one of Geoff's exercises and he said something like "do it for 10 breaths" it took me 3 minutes. When I watched a demo of him doing it, the set only took 30 seconds, though :D
Ha! Yeah, I'm not going super-slow.
With mobility work I usually do very slow and controlled outbreaths, probably similar to what @Tobias Wissmueller describes.
I'll do this more for relaxation. But it works great for mobility work too for some people.
That being said, the high rep protocols were too much for me. I overdid it and actually got nasty lower back problems from too many dead bugs. Now I am more cautious and stop early. But as I have said before, I still keep the drills in my rotation (before, during, after, and apart from training..).
I'd argue you won't get "nasty lower back problems from too many dead bugs," but rather too many dead bugs performed incorrectly. This is what gets A LOT of people. I'd go back and re-check your technique on these.

And I'm with you on the high rep protocols, but you want to rebuild those neural pathways, so, as mentally painful as it is, that's why I do them. ;-)

Remember that while you build up the reps, make sure quality does not get compromised.

So for example, the 25/25 deadbugs @Geoff Neupert recommended, I initially would do 5/5+ 1-2 deep breaths, 5/5 etc

Ha! Yeah, I'm not going super-slow.

I'll do this more for relaxation. But it works great for mobility work too for some people.

I'd argue you won't get "nasty lower back problems from too many dead bugs," but rather too many dead bugs performed incorrectly. This is what gets A LOT of people. I'd go back and re-check your technique on these.

And I'm with you on the high rep protocols, but you want to rebuild those neural pathways, so, as mentally painful as it is, that's why I do them. ;-)
Geoff is it normal to feel slightly sore from the diaphragm breathing? I am definitely feeling some
good benefits from this, but I’ve started feeling a little sore I’m my pelvic floor as I do my breaths. Is this to be expected because I’m using muscles that haven’t been used properly in years?

Geoff is it normal to feel slightly sore from the diaphragm breathing? I am definitely feeling some
good benefits from this, but I’ve started feeling a little sore I’m my pelvic floor as I do my breaths. Is this to be expected because I’m using muscles that haven’t been used properly in years?
Not unheard of. Picture a coke can as your abdominal cavity; the diaphragm is the top, your abdominals are the wall, and your pelvic floor is the bottom. As you modify the tension/pressure in the abdominal cavity from what you’re used to by introducing a lot of diaphragmatic breathing it is possible to get sore in a different part of the coke can that needs to adjust to what you’re doing.

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

I hear this.

Can anyone share a favorite dead bug training video?
I also have lower back pressure when I do them. I try rolling my pelvis/hips back so my spine is flat on the ground, but I feel like I'm not doing something correctly.

I agree with the neutral-remark 100%
However, I like to do three things:
- keep both my legs straight. That enables me to work hipflexors on the upper leg's side better.
- putting the bottom leg on the ground and dig the heel into the ground and actively flex the other leg. I feel this way I work more on the deep abs rather than superficial abs
- push my neck into the ground. Packed neck makes me stronger in everything and relaxes the whole spine.

Thanks, Don. That was really helpful.

You seem to have a huge catalog of videos for every topic.... you've shared some other really helpful ones in the past, in response to other queries i've made.
Ted, You're Very Welcome.
The advantage of accumulation over time, which began with clients in 1991.
In this case, being familiar with Stu McGill, who influenced the above video content.

For anyone on the fence about purchasing this program:

I’m a 53 yo overweight man with a sedentary sales job. I have a torn ACL in my left knee from an old American football injury. I also have an issue in my “good knee” from a hiking injury from a couple of years ago. Additionally, I have shoulder issues from over training for a 1 mile open water swim this past summer.

I started the P3 protocol 3 weeks ago with the free version and immediately felt looser and smoother in the squat test. Purchased the program and progressed to Phase 1 Level 3 in 3 weeks.

Last weekend while doing yard work I was able to go up and down the ladder leading with both legs. Usually, I would step up each rung with my right leg first with my left leg following. I never trusted putting all of my body weight on my left knee before.

And after doing Level 3 Side Lying position this week, just last night I was able to sleep through the night without shoulder aches waking me up.

So far so good! Looking forward to the reminder of P3.

Thanks Geoff!

I bought the program on the first of September - I am doing it every day since then. I am currently doing the first three movements with the level 3 variation.

I had a hip surgery last year (impingement) and since then one of my hips rotates and I feel pain in the lower back on the opposite side. I get my hips adjusted by a physical therapist once every 2-3 months and feel good after it until my hip starts to rotate again. I didn‘t find any way to fix this problem by myself. All mobility exercises, stretches etc. don‘t fix it! That‘s why I bought the SJS.
When I do the daily 20 minutes it helps to relax or to warm up and I feel good after it, but my hips didn‘t change until now. I know those 3 weeks are probably not enough to fix a problem that was built up over years.

I will keep you all posted how my hips and my lower back improves, but until now it didn‘t change anything.

Back
Top Bottom