all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??

I have a question on 2.0. It says to use your 10RM. @Geoff Neupert
As I understand it, the 1.X versions can be run consecutively with the same bells.
Now, should one run a new RM test before 2.0 or continue with the bells from 1.1 or 1.2? In other words: Is this supposed to be a fresh 10RM or is it supposed to be a continuation of the first phases - milking the same bells so-to -peak.

As I understand it, the 1.X versions can be run consecutively with the same bells.
Now, should one run a new RM test before 2.0 or continue with the bells from 1.1 or 1.2? In other words: Is this supposed to be a fresh 10RM or is it supposed to be a continuation of the first phases - milking the same bells so-to -peak.
Not Geoff here at all but I'll share how I've been doing the 2.0 in combination with the 1 series. My first run through I did the 2.0 first because I hadn't done many c+p sets with reps above 3 to 5. I figured the ladder system would help "ease" the pain. I went from 2.0 to all the 1 series'. This time through I did the 1.0 first. After the 1.0 , I started the 2.0 and am halfway through it now (I have week 2's Friday workout coming up this morning).

If you only went through the 1 series for all three segments before the 2.0 I think the choice would be yours as to whether to use your original 10 RM after which you could restest. (Bet it becomes a 14 RM or more). Or it could be a time to find a new 10 RM and start over. Finish the 2.0 with the new 10 RM then hit the 1 series again with the heavier weight. I think it's kind of flexible.

Either.

If you've already done several of the 1.X versions, which I think you have, if I've read your question correctly, I suggest going for a NEW 10RM - so use a bigger pair of bells.

If you're starting fresh, use your most recent 10RM or set a new baseline.

I hope that helps.

There is a mental/motivation component too. If I can't find 35 min for a workout at home that I can adjust depending on my physical condition and stress then I am lying to myself.
Excellent point.

I just had the exact same conversation with a client yesterday.

"If you can't find ____ minutes for your workout, then you're lying to yourself. "

The GIANT really works. Background: M53, 5’10”, overweight. By using mostly CICO I have gone from 270lbs (fall of 2019) to 235lbs. I’ve had kettlebells for years (double 12s and 16s) probably for a decade but not done anything with them. Finally decided to use what I have. Since starting in January I have picked up double 20s, 24s and a single 32kg.

Onto the data. I have been using double 16kg. When I started GIANT 1.0 I could barely eke out a DCP RM of 10. At the end of the 4 weeks I was 6lbs lighter and increased my RM to 14. Two days ago I finished GIANT 1.1 and tested my DCP RM. I am now 4lbs lighter than at the end of the first 4 weeks and had a RM of 17!!

Thanks for a great program @Geoff Neupert . I’ve attached my log as well if anybody is interested.

Regards,
Roger

Attachments

• 1EB30F1C-554D-42BE-94A5-FA66ECFB3BFD.png
    1EB30F1C-554D-42BE-94A5-FA66ECFB3BFD.png
    269.4 KB · Views: 157
@papabird

I like your table and the way that it keeps track of "total weight moved." I've thought about doing something similar to track progress when I transition up a bell size eventually. For example, when I advance to Giant 3.0 with the 24kg bell from the 20kg bell. It seems like "total weight moved" would be a way of continuing to look at progress in volume even when the reps are lower.

@papabird

I like your table and the way that it keeps track of "total weight moved." I've thought about doing something similar to track progress when I transition up a bell size eventually. For example, when I advance to Giant 3.0 with the 24kg bell from the 20kg bell. It seems like "total weight moved" would be a way of continuing to look at progress in volume even when the reps are lower.
When you calculate it don’t forget to x2 because double kb.
I also added reps/min as a calculated column. Made it easier to see t rate of improvement given changing total duration.

I'm about to finish The Giant 1.1 with 2x20kg.
I don't know what to do next:
A) The Giant 1.2 with these kettlebells.

B) Should I take 2x24 and do The Giant 1.0, or
C) KBStrong - short cycle if I can't handle Giant.

Would it be good to do 5-8 series (4-6reps) in The Giant 1.0?
It is a bit more difficult than the Short Cycle.
The Short Cycle starts with a small volume. Later it increases.

I want to work with 2x24.

@taro , just my 2 cents as they say but I'd stay the course and finish the 1.2. You've come this far, you might as well finish. Then check your rep max with the 24s afterward. I say "dance with the date you brought"!

I'm asking because I just don't know if switching to heavier kettlebells is the best I can do.
Now I guess I'll stay at 2x20 and The Giant 1.2.
??

If you really want to work with 2x24, do a RM test and if you get 5 or 6, take on 3.0. If you get 8-10, take on 1.0. If you get 7, you are in no-mans land, but Id do a hybrid.

if you get less than 5, i would stick with 2x20 and 1.2.

I will be facing this very conundrum next week...., but will probably do 2.0 if I cannot do 5 reps of next weight. I dont think I will be ready for sets of 9.

The GIANT really works. Background: M53, 5’10”, overweight. By using mostly CICO I have gone from 270lbs (fall of 2019) to 235lbs. I’ve had kettlebells for years (double 12s and 16s) probably for a decade but not done anything with them. Finally decided to use what I have. Since starting in January I have picked up double 20s, 24s and a single 32kg.

Onto the data. I have been using double 16kg. When I started GIANT 1.0 I could barely eke out a DCP RM of 10. At the end of the 4 weeks I was 6lbs lighter and increased my RM to 14. Two days ago I finished GIANT 1.1 and tested my DCP RM. I am now 4lbs lighter than at the end of the first 4 weeks and had a RM of 17!!

Thanks for a great program @Geoff Neupert . I’ve attached my log as well if anybody is interested.

Regards,
Roger

Great results. I confirm that it is one of the few programs where gains in hypertrophy, weight control, strength, and endurance occur together due to the medium weight, medium-high volume's metabolic effect I guess.

Holy crow! So I've been following the program religiously currently using the 36s starting week 3 of the 2.0. Today was workout 1 and I got a total of 75 reps which is my highest output since starting in October!

Some observations: My previous best was 73 reps with the 32s and my heart rate peaked upwards of 168 to 170. This was the end of October/beginning of November. Today using the 36s I barely hit 160 and I got 3 more reps in the same timeframe using bells that combined are 18 pounds heavier! I'm pretty excited, this to me marks progress. Just follow the program and trust the process I guess.

Last week I hit 60 reps in a session for only the second time since using the 36s so this was quite an unexpected jump!

Geoff is on a podcast with Pat Flynn talking about autoregulation (and Giant.)

Podcast is on Itunes/Iphone podcast app, and I would assume all the other podcast players.

Anybody try any of the Giant programs with C&J? I intend to give 2.0 or 3.0 a try (depending on which bell I want to use, 1x55lb or 1x70lb) after I finish my current C&J program. I want to hop on this Giant train in April.

Re-running 3.0 with a single 24 KG bell. Just loving this program so far. I am able to recover which was a worry at my age (62 in April) and the results have just blown me away. I have a long way to go compared to alot of folks here but I just know my goal of a 1/2 BW press (36KG) is going to happen! I want to thank John for bring this great "Giant" program to my attention.

Regards Paul

Back
Top Bottom