all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??

Can I somehow combine QD Snatch and The giant?

QD 2x
The Giant 3x?
I have not done Q&D because I read the book and didn't think it was "for me" -- at least not at this time. But having just finished the third week of the Giant 1.0 that would be rough on the shoulders and tough for overall recovery. Additionally, I think it is worth looking at either program as a "phase" of training. Giant is definitely a base-builder centered on all-around strength & conditioning where Q&D strikes me as more of a peaking program for max power generation.

QD 2x
The Giant 3x?
I did 1.0 with a 24 + 16. I combined it with a daily deadlift program, and that seems like about right to me, but not anything else overhead. It seems like the cleans will get you much of the posterior chain benefits of the snatch, with the press handling the overhead piece. Maybe not the "explosiveness" aspect, but I think at that point you'd be chasing two rabbits.

A way to add an "explosive" element would be to do dead cleans like @watchnerd does.

QD 2x
The Giant 3x?
I'm trying to....., though my "QD" is jump rope double-under sprints with the idea that it works systemically, but isn't that close to the same movement as a double-clean and press. Honestly, I'm so wiped out from The Giant sessions that I cannot bring myself to do anything else that's remotely "hard"; and I can't imagine I'd want to do ANYTHING else that was remotely close to a clean or a push. Though I'm 50 and I push myself to pretty near my limit on every Giant session for the full 30m. If you're younger and/or able to pace yourself better than I can, or just have more capacity...... go for it!

All just finished 3.0 with a single 24 bell I raised my 5 rep max to a solid 7 on the left and from a 7 to an eight on right. In addition I rested a few minutes and pressed the 28 on both arms which was a first for me. I’m planning to run it again with the 24 starting Wednesday. I’m soon to be 62 tall and skinny and my wife commented that my arms were getting bigger. ? Really like the program and can see my goal of getting to a 36 as a real possibility now. As an aside the videos in Strong are great and really helped me clean up my clean and press.

All just finished 3.0 with a single 24 bell I raised my 5 rep max to a solid 7 on the left and from a 7 to an eight on right. In addition I rested a few minutes and pressed the 28 on both arms which was a first for me. I’m planning to run it again with the 24 starting Wednesday. I’m soon to be 62 tall and skinny and my wife commented that my arms were getting bigger. ? Really like the program and can see my goal of getting to a 36 as a real possibility now. As an aside the videos in Strong are great and really helped me clean up my clean and press.
Excellent work, @PaulAllen!

Speaking of q&d, curious if Mr. Neupert has any plans to release his own twist on that style of program. Also curious what his current opinion on fasting is e.g. his 24 hour diet. Ive been using the 24 hour diet idea structure with success but their may be some newer science these days.

Hello! This might be a stupid question. Does the program also contain all the necessary technique pointers? I never clean & pressed before, so while I'm thinking about getting the program, but I'm not sure if I can do it effectively without already knowing the move.

I'm not a complete kettlebell newbie anymore, having spent year and a half on S&S and I'm on my way to solid now (but unable to progress since gyms were closed here for the better part of last year), so I did my due share of swings. I have a 24kb bell at home though that I Chinese Fooded myself with into 5 rep press max, so I'm thinking about pausing S&S altogether and run The Giant 5rep max program since the gyms are not opening anytime soon to continue S&S.

Hello! This might be a stupid question. Does the program also contain all the necessary technique pointers? I never clean & pressed before, so while I'm thinking about getting the program, but I'm not sure if I can do it effectively without already knowing the move.

I'm not a complete kettlebell newbie anymore, having spent year and a half on S&S and I'm on my way to solid now (but unable to progress since gyms were closed here for the better part of last year), so I did my due share of swings. I have a 24kb bell at home though that I Chinese Fooded myself with into 5 rep press max, so I'm thinking about pausing S&S altogether and run The Giant 5rep max program since the gyms are not opening anytime soon to continue S&S.
No, the Giant is just a few pages of excellent programming. Very minimalist.

But you might get an offer for Strong in the process of purchasing and buy it, as I did... There are instructional videos and a detailed manual with technique pointers. I have not even started watching the videos that are included and still got a lot of great technique info from the manual itself. Very detailed and logically arranged.

But you might get an offer for Strong in the process of purchasing and buy it, as I did... There are instructional videos and a detailed manual with technique pointers. I have not even started watching the videos that are included and still got a lot of great technique info from the manual itself. Very detailed and logically arranged.
Thanks for letting me know!

Yeah Strong is on the top of my wishlist for a long time but it's a lot of money for me so I settled for Giant which is much cheaper at 19$. While I have no doubts about the quality of the program, I can't help to question if it's 10 times better than S&S, based the 10$ I bought S&S for and the offer for Strong at 99$ that I found :)

@ImMrAdam , just chiming in that Strong! is mostly a technique manual that includes some (effective) programming at the end. It goes into detail on several double kettlebell lifts, in addition to the double clean and the double press. It's a great foundation, in general, for double kettlebell work.

It's not a cheap product, I know. But when I finally bought Kettlebell Strong! years ago, it was worth every penny to me. With the technique I learned there, I am really enjoying The Giant now.

When I bought Giant it came with the Strong! technique videos.

Yeah Strong is on the top of my wishlist for a long time but it's a lot of money for me so I settled for Giant which is much cheaper at 19$. While I have no doubts about the quality of the program, I can't help to question if it's 10 times better than S&S, based the 10$ I bought S&S for and the offer for Strong at 99$ that I found :)
Well, I kind of look at it like this....I spent like 100 bucks on Strong back whenever it came out and yes it's not cheap. But I viewed it differently in a way. I have used double kettlebells in one form or another since I got the program in like 2013. I still refer to his videos for cues and nuances I possibly have missed. So you could say I have used it every year since I got it. Compared to a gym membership's annual fees, it has cost me about 12 bucks and change per year. Next year that relative "fee" will decrease again. Just my take.

If you have not done a Double KB clean and press program before you are probably better off with giant than strong anyway. 5 RM density programs are hard and Giant is no joke at 10RM. But yeah the manual and videos are worth it. I cleaned up my clean.

For just a little more than $100, you could purchase the Legacy Collection. It's one of the best deals I've ever received in my life. It has technique, nutrition, and years of experience. Geoff is great at responding to emails, as well. It's a top three purchase in my lifetime.

Speaking of q&d, curious if Mr. Neupert has any plans to release his own twist on that style of program. Also curious what his current opinion on fasting is e.g. his 24 hour diet. Ive been using the 24 hour diet idea structure with success but their may be some newer science these days.
Q&D Programming: Not at this time. I think Pavel's book covers the subject very, very well.

Fasting is fine for many people. It's problematic for those under a lot of stress. So it's up to each individual to determine whether it's right for them.

Glad to hear The 24 Hour Diet structure has been working for you.

The Giant has me.

...and I' ve got Strong! + the DVD it was back 2015 at my SFG2 at a really good offer. As there was only one at the table there was no question if or if not. The book is great - I always had in mind to incorporate Strong! at some point. I heard frequently here and there nothing than great about the DVD's - and never took a look into them ( I hope they still work: the DVD's - not the cues as they seem more timeless haha). Typing this in I got an e-mail from Geoff about the gaze at the start: guilty.

And I have KB Muscle which I did for twelve weeks years ago with 2×20 still feel the 'pain' everywhere.

Just raving after Day 1, the day where enthusiasm is usually high....

Back
Top Bottom