all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??

4 kg is good.
When you start getting to 8kg+ I'm not always a fan.

Are you doing presses/push presses or jerks?

Only reason I'm asking is generally speaking with uneven bells I find presses>PP>jerks.

But I did do PP with uneven bells for months with little ill effects & started the giant pressing with uneven bells without issue.

I say the same weight set of uneven bells in each location is the way to go unless your doing jerks maybe.

Just be even fussier with good quality reps & obviously switch hands/bells each set.

I know Geoff has said it's fine to use uneven bells.
I'm doing presses. Tempted to do push presses just because it's an awesome movement, but I want to stick with presses for now to get a feel for the program

Jon, sounds crazy but do you have the basics of handling kettlebells nailed down? I would start with "Enter the Kettlebell" by Pavel before I embark on double kettlebell programs. You indicate you are new to kettlebell training which is why I say that.

No disrespect intended to anyone but from the sounds of it, Strong and the Giant using doubles may not be appropriate at this time???

Within "Enter the Kettlebell" is the "Program Minimum" and the Rite of Passage which are two awesome protocols that pack a great punch for a beginning program and that you really never outgrow.

Just my recommendation.
Hey John, Thanks so much for the reply. I have used kettlebells before but in a very limited fashion so I will take any and all advice kindly offered!
I've got "Enter the Kettlebell" Vid but would the book be more beneficial?
I liked the look of "The Giant" mainly because of the autoregulated aspect but I guess I shouldnt run before I can walk! :)

I'm planning on increasing the time each week by five minutes. Is the reload week twenty minutes or twenty five?
I read somewhere about Geoff talking about squats of some type for those worried about their legs, but can't find or remember what was recommended.

I'm planning on increasing the time each week by five minutes. Is the reload week twenty minutes or twenty five?
I read somewhere about Geoff talking about squats of some type for those worried about their legs, but can't find or remember what was recommended.
For squats he has made a few similar recommendations via comments on this forum but also his emails. Basically, 2-3 sets of 3-5 reps.

For squats he has made a few similar recommendations via comments on this forum but also his emails. Basically, 2-3 sets of 3-5 reps.
How many days a week was it? Is there any mention of swings? Just curious

IIRC 1-3 days per week. Haven't heard anything about swings but with so many cleans i doubt they're needed
Got it. A couple off days a week of some double front squats or goblets. Just enough for the leg conscious.

Hi guys
Just comming on to my last week 4 on monday on The giant.

I think i read Geoff says its a deload week, i been running 1.0 with 2x20 kgs for the 3 weeks on a 30 min timer.
So should deload week be 20 mins with the 20's kg or 30 mins with 16ish ?
As for whats in store next i would love some recomendations :)
so far i really enjoyed the program, even though i think i started out abit wrong since i didnt quete have 10 RM on my 20's, just it tryed 1.0 with 16kgs first and it was almost too easy so i thouht "what the hell ill push 20s!" And with the 20kgs on week 3 on 6 rep day, damn thats tough cous its really close to my RM (still managed 11 rounds so 66 Reps) . Anyway so far i made a set or 2 more in every week as i "should" so i guess i made it :)
As for next im was thinking either running 1.2 maybe or going 2.0 with ladders, or trying 3.0 with 24kgs. or even Maybe just running a cicle of KB Muscle.Or maybe a another Program that Envolved some Pullups(that i would love to get better at) I would love some recommandations and thoughts from who ever wanna share. That said, my focus would be more for hypertrophy then Strengh.

Anyways thx for a super Forum and community, always a pleasure reading previous post's

Hugs and kisses from Denmark

Morten

@kaptajnos those are nice efforts with the 20s! For deloading in this program, use the same working weights you've used throughout. The deload week as per Geoff can be for time and/or volume. One of his suggestions has been reduce the volume by 20% below your highest week's efforts or just stop at 20 minutes. Definitely use the 20s.

@John Grahill thanks for the reply :) - ill try and stop on the 20 min mark ..
Its funny how you always feel like a deload week sets you back (anyways thats how i feel) Im having a real problem not Goin Full retard on my workouts :S

I had a funny experience dialing back from 30 minutes in week 1 to 20 minutes in week 2. In 3.0, I got 14 sets of 3 in week 1 in 30 minutes. The next week, I cut the time to 20 minutes, but I only dropped one set. I think my mentality shifted to push myself a bit harder. I find that rather encouraging for those times when we want minimalist training sessions.

@Erik W
i Agree Eric, the time frame has a huge inpact mentally. i been running a program with a 30 min timer on EMOM Swings, starting with first week on 10 min ... before you start you already Goeess Ohhhh s***ttt 30 mins thats gonna be tough :p
That said i think on the Deload fase of Giant its suposed to be less Volume, or it wouldnt really be a deload :)

I can't remember how I clicked this link https://chasingstrength.com/kettlebells/giantrt20/
Geoff, I have to give you credit. Fantastic marketing copy. It made me almost want to buy it again! The workout delivers what the copy promises.

Plus @John Grahill is becoming famous! As the Mets fade into mediocrity his kettlebell cred is reaching new heights!
Well, @BrianCF I am afraid I'll have to disagree! The Mets haven't faded to mediocrity at all.....they plunged straight to jokingly lousy!!

Hi guys
Just comming on to my last week 4 on monday on The giant.

I think i read Geoff says its a deload week, i been running 1.0 with 2x20 kgs for the 3 weeks on a 30 min timer.
So should deload week be 20 mins with the 20's kg or 30 mins with 16ish ?
As for whats in store next i would love some recomendations :)
so far i really enjoyed the program, even though i think i started out abit wrong since i didnt quete have 10 RM on my 20's, just it tryed 1.0 with 16kgs first and it was almost too easy so i thouht "what the hell ill push 20s!" And with the 20kgs on week 3 on 6 rep day, damn thats tough cous its really close to my RM (still managed 11 rounds so 66 Reps) . Anyway so far i made a set or 2 more in every week as i "should" so i guess i made it :)
As for next im was thinking either running 1.2 maybe or going 2.0 with ladders, or trying 3.0 with 24kgs. or even Maybe just running a cicle of KB Muscle.Or maybe a another Program that Envolved some Pullups(that i would love to get better at) I would love some recommandations and thoughts from who ever wanna share. That said, my focus would be more for hypertrophy then Strengh.

Anyways thx for a super Forum and community, always a pleasure reading previous post's

Hugs and kisses from Denmark

Morten
What would your goal be as that will serve as a guide what path to take?

You can just go straight to 1.1 or test s rep max one size up and see where you're at

Thanks for your experience and I wish you a speedy recovery. I already learned my lesson the same way, so I try to keep my pushy attitude under control and stick to my mantra: DFYU. ?
Dude, I do a lot of pyrography (see burning images into wood), so I'm going to promptly make a sign for my workout space that says "DFYU."

Can someone give me an idea of the maximum reps of c&p used for these programs. I don’t do well from an inflammation standpoint on high rep / long time under tension rep schemes, but i do well with strong or dry fighting weight type rep schemes.
My thought process through this has centered around the idea that I'm gonna get whatever I'm going to get throughout the 4-week cycle and then test my RM with the next bell up. You can do a RM test with the bells you used during the cycle, too, but I want to see how much I improve (going from a 28kg pair of KBs to a 32kg pair). I'm not really too worried about doing "too many" sets. In testing my RM with the 32s, I found I got five solid reps, which meant I'm set up to do 3.0 if I want to pursue those (and I do), or I could go to 2.0 or 1.1. Lots of options here, but I wouldn't worry too much about how much is too much while running a cycle unless you are having it cause problems.

What would your goal be as that will serve as a guide what path to take?

You can just go straight to 1.1 or test s rep max one size up and see where you're at
Thx mark ? youre right ofc. I ended up doing another geoff program total body blast. Ill prolly get back to the giant after.

I've read through most of this thread, and I can't seem to find the answer: can I increase the weight during the program or is it better to do the whole program with the same weight? Also, can I vary the time at all from week to week?

Or should I just stick with the same variables all the way through?

Back
Top Bottom