all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??

Two quick questions -

1. The Giant recommends complexes in straight sets and also in ladders (Giant 1.2 and 2 are most similar). Why would you choose one over the other. I understand that GN states that ladders will allow for more volume and less fatigue, but would you choose one of these for one reason and the other for another, or is one (subjectively) better?

2. I can do 12 C&P with 20+24kg which would be ideal for the 1 series of programs. I can do 5 C&PP with 24+32kg.My priority is to build size (hypertrophy), strength as a secondary benefit. Should I go with one of the 1 series programs with 20+24 or go (really) heavy with 24+32 and do push presses for, lets face it, most of the reps. I might even have to end up doing jerks at the end of the workout.

Thanks for you thoughts in advance.

Two quick questions -

1. The Giant recommends complexes in straight sets and also in ladders (Giant 1.2 and 2 are most similar). Why would you choose one over the other. I understand that GN states that ladders will allow for more volume and less fatigue, but would you choose one of these for one reason and the other for another, or is one (subjectively) better?

2. I can do 12 C&P with 20+24kg which would be ideal for the 1 series of programs. I can do 5 C&PP with 24+32kg.My priority is to build size (hypertrophy), strength as a secondary benefit. Should I go with one of the 1 series programs with 20+24 or go (really) heavy with 24+32 and do push presses for, lets face it, most of the reps. I might even have to end up doing jerks at the end of the workout.

Thanks for you thoughts in advance.
No expert here but my take is I used the ladders (2.0) my first run through the Giant because of the fact I needed to get used to higher rep clean and presses...not easy work!

My recommendation....get strong before you add mass/bulk. Getting stronger will allow you to handle heavier weights which will enable you to get the "pump" with a heavy weight which should make you larger.

My recommendation....get strong before you add mass/bulk. Getting stronger will allow you to handle heavier weights which will enable you to get the "pump" with a heavy weight which should make you larger.
I agree with you. Which would you recommend for strength? I could do 1 Series as per, or grinding out 3.0? I'm four weeks from making a decision as I'm 2/3rds through GN 12 week muscle building program (bodybuilding.com or something) with 20+24. My RM with 20+24 may (will) be greater than 12 by the end. My 24+32 should improve too I guess?

Perhaps the takeaway is that I should just get on with what I'm doing, and worry about the next thing when the opportunity comes! I'm guildty with being more enthusiastic about fitness and KBs since the start of the year than I ever have. Much of this has to do with DKB programs of which GN is one of the pioneers.

@RadFox based on that, I'd go with 3, with a view to then running the 1 series once your RM with 24+32 increases sufficiently

No expert here but my take is I used the ladders (2.0) my first run through the Giant because of the fact I needed to get used to higher rep clean and presses...not easy work!

Exactly right, @John Grahill.

Some have low thresholds for volume. Ladders allow you to accumulate volume to be able to handle the higher rep sets with heavier weights later on.

I agree with you. Which would you recommend for strength? I could do 1 Series as per, or grinding out 3.0? I'm four weeks from making a decision as I'm 2/3rds through GN 12 week muscle building program (bodybuilding.com or something) with 20+24. My RM with 20+24 may (will) be greater than 12 by the end. My 24+32 should improve too I guess?

Perhaps the takeaway is that I should just get on with what I'm doing, and worry about the next thing when the opportunity comes! I'm guildty with being more enthusiastic about fitness and KBs since the start of the year than I ever have. Much of this has to do with DKB programs of which GN is one of the pioneers.
@RadFox,

Finish the 12-week program. Then evaluate from there.

And glad the double KB programming has reinvigorated your fitness. ?

Ok, here are my 50 cents to the vast capital of Geoff's reputation.

I have done 1.0 and 1.1 (no pause, peaking on 3rd weeks) with 2*20 bells.

Day 0: right hand 24bell press — 5-6 reps, left hand 24bell press — 4 reps, 2*20 press — 12 reps, 2*20 C&P — 12 reps.
After 1.0: right hand 24bell press — 12 reps, left hand 24bell press — 8 reps, 2*20 press — 16 reps.
After 1.1: right hand 24bell press — 14 reps, left hand 24bell press — 10 reps, 2*20 press — 18 reps.

I also went from 74 kg bodyweight to 78 (used 7 kilos of gainer protein powder). Will take a break and will continue with my newly bought 2*24 bells after the summer. Conveniently they are my 5 RM for C&P now.

Thanks, Geoff! The stuff is solid, minimalistic and fun.

Ok, here are my 50 cents to the vast capital of Geoff's reputation.

I have done 1.0 and 1.1 (no pause, peaking on 3rd weeks) with 2*20 bells.

Day 0: right hand 24bell press — 5-6 reps, left hand 24bell press — 4 reps, 2*20 press — 12 reps, 2*20 C&P — 12 reps.
After 1.0: right hand 24bell press — 12 reps, left hand 24bell press — 8 reps, 2*20 press — 16 reps.
After 1.1: right hand 24bell press — 14 reps, left hand 24bell press — 10 reps, 2*20 press — 18 reps.

I also went from 74 kg bodyweight to 78 (used 7 kilos of gainer protein powder). Will take a break and will continue with my newly bought 2*24 bells after the summer. Conveniently they are my 5 RM for C&P now.

Thanks, Geoff! The stuff is solid, minimalistic and fun.
Excellent job! ?

Thanks for reporting in with your results.

Having done both.....The "Giant" series is/are clean and press programs based on a 10 RM of either a single kettlebell or double kettlebell version. "Strong!" is exclusively a double kettlebell program wherein you start with your 4 to 5 RM.

The "Giant " series comes from "Kettlebell Express" which is a compilation of single kettlebell programs. I have done several and bounced the idea off Geoff of doing a "Double Giant" experiment i.e. doing the single bell Giant program with double bells...it worked well for me!

Got a lot of "Giant" work ahead of me but I'm thinking of a "Double King Sized Killer" down the road!
I know this is an old thread but I was just curious based on what your saying here is the "Giant" a program in Kettlebell Express. I was just curious because I saw Kettlebell Express available on Geoff's website when I was getting ready to purchase the Giant and I was thinking about just purchasing Kettlebell Express instead of purchasing both.

I know this is an old thread but I was just curious based on what your saying here is the "Giant" a program in Kettlebell Express. I was just curious because I saw Kettlebell Express available on Geoff's website when I was getting ready to purchase the Giant and I was thinking about just purchasing Kettlebell Express instead of purchasing both.
The Giant is originally from " Kettlebell Express" Reloaded or some such name. Purchasing the Giant separately I believe it goes into more details.

As an alternative option, I purchased kettlebell express and am really happy with it-a great many options, but maybe more options than you're looking for
(Edit-admittedly I haven't done many programs in it yet, but nice to have an expanded inventory)

Did giant 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 with 2x20. Increased my 24 kg press from 5 on the left to 7 and from 6 on the right to 8. I was able to press the 32 with my right, but not with my left. Don’t have a 28. Overall, happy with the progress for 60-90 minutes of work per week over 3 months especially with the 32 kg on the right (a PR for me). Going to take a break and consider returning to it with the 24s.

Just bought the Giant. When using a single bell do you do left, rest, right or left, right, rest?

@Provx ,

Yes, 2 reasons:
1. Most Americans can't Jerk. Poor shoulder mo-stability and poor t-spine mobility.
2. The Press requires the least coordination of the 3 overhead lifts.

If you can Jerk or Push Press, you can use either of those lifts, or all 3 for these programs.

For maximum benefit, start with a weight you can Jerk 10-12x, but not Push Press 10-12x. Roll through 1-3 of the programs, then retest your Jerk. Then test your Push Press. It should have moved up to the 10-12x range.

Then repeat the cycle with your Push Presses, using a slow/active negative to train the Press.

Then you *should* be ready to run it with your Press.

Hope that helps.
Love this. I am going to do this as I love the C&P/C&PP/C&J. doubles or singles I think it may be the best bang for your buck exercise in existence. Especially with the jerk as it incorporates the lower body more. And this is for the Giant, not Strong, correct? I have all your programming, Geoff. Great stuff, all!

Love this. I am going to do this as I love the C&P/C&PP/C&J. doubles or singles I think it may be the best bang for your buck exercise in existence. Especially with the jerk as it incorporates the lower body more. And this is for the Giant, not Strong, correct? I have all your programming, Geoff. Great stuff, all!
You can use this template with "Strong!" as well.

It's my general philosophy for gaining overhead strength with limited resources, regardless of the programming.

Q&D Programming: Not at this time. I think Pavel's book covers the subject very, very well.

Fasting is fine for many people. It's problematic for those under a lot of stress. So it's up to each individual to determine whether it's right for them.

Glad to hear The 24 Hour Diet structure has been working for you.
That's the coffee plus additions and one big meal plan correct?

There is so much written about this awesome program, but I could not find the answer to this question:

I am in the last week of the Giant 1.0. The sets of 6 are still tough after some sets. I can do about 13 in 30 minutes.
I don‘t know if I should go to 1.1 and just do much less sets (especially on the 8 rep day) or shift a cycle of 2.0 between 1.0 and 1.1 to get used to the higher sets without losing too much volume.

Any help is welcome.

There is so much written about this awesome program, but I could not find the answer to this question:

I am in the last week of the Giant 1.0. The sets of 6 are still tough after some sets. I can do about 13 in 30 minutes.
I don‘t know if I should go to 1.1 and just do much less sets (especially on the 8 rep day) or shift a cycle of 2.0 between 1.0 and 1.1 to get used to the higher sets without losing too much volume.

Any help is welcome.
I’m not an expert. But ran straight through and am on 1.2 now….
I was getting about the same number of sets on 1.0. Did a de-load week of 1.0 with 20 minute sessions and not pushing myself too hard. Then went on to 1.1 and was getting about the same sets again. Give it a shot. If it seems like too much you can always do it for 20 instead of 30 or just skip to 2.0?

Back
Top Bottom