all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??

I’m taking on the ultimate short-on-time program: The GIANT, split into micro-sessions of 4-5 mins throughout the work-day. My current job has lots of built in 5 minute breaks before calls/meetings as a well-being tool (means even if you have back to back meetings you have a chance to grab a coffee, go to the toilet, in my case do some C+P).

I have a stopwatch on my desk. When I have time to get to the bells I hit start, get some sets of double C+P in, when I need to get back I sit back down and click stop. Continue until 20-30 minutes is on the clock.

Aware I won’t get all of the benefits of the program since usually my first set of each micro-session is “fresh”, but I do feel like it means I will be able to fit slightly more volume into the time too.

I’m taking on the ultimate short-on-time program: The GIANT, split into micro-sessions of 4-5 mins throughout the work-day. My current job has lots of built in 5 minute breaks before calls/meetings as a well-being tool (means even if you have back to back meetings you have a chance to grab a coffee, go to the toilet, in my case do some C+P).

I have a stopwatch on my desk. When I have time to get to the bells I hit start, get some sets of double C+P in, when I need to get back I sit back down and click stop. Continue until 20-30 minutes is on the clock.

Aware I won’t get all of the benefits of the program since usually my first set of each micro-session is “fresh”, but I do feel like it means I will be able to fit slightly more volume into the time too.
The only thing maybe you would miss out on, IMO, is the endurance aspect of it. Otherwise this seems like a GTG style workout which should still get your good results !! Of course I am no expert and other experienced folks can weigh in here.

I'm doing something similar for some of my Giant days (at least one per week). I haven't even been timing it, just doing a target number of total sets for the day based on my last timed session with the same rep scheme (the same number of sets or one or two more). I don't really worry about the exact number of sets as long as it's somewhere in the ballpark of a timed session, and I mostly try to get a few sets in at a time, so it's not strictly GTG.

It might not be exactly the same as timed sessions, but it fits my schedule and work situation.

It is certainly better than not doing something, but I think that it would be better to do a Grease the Groove pistol and one arm pushup progression for that window of time and frequency. OR an easy strength type press program like Upgrade Your Strength with the Soju and Tuba Press Program | StrongFirst instead. I did bottoms up KB holds at my desk for short breaks before. Strenuous, not sweat inducing. The cumulative fatigue of the Giant session is the secret sauce for growth. It is not a "pure" strength program.

Have you considered just running it 3x per week for 20 minute sessions? Reason I say that is because I agree with @guardian7 that the program is designed for increasing volume.

If you're that short on time, Geoff put out a program years back that may be still available that literally took like 5 or so minutes 3 times a week......it was possibly the most brutal program I ever did from a lactic acid standpoint but effective! It went by 2 names, "The Double Stuff Program" and later "Kettlebell Muscle Extreme".......

If you're that short on time, Geoff put out a program years back that may be still available that literally took like 5 or so minutes 3 times a week......it was possibly the most brutal program I ever did from a lactic acid standpoint but effective! It went by 2 names, "The Double Stuff Program" and later "Kettlebell Muscle Extreme".......
Will bear this in mind if my Giant experiment fails! I’m expecting my volume to increase still though, I think my week 3 will have more sets than week 1.

Hello, am pondering having a crack at the Giant sometime. When it says 10 rep max does it mean with doubles or with a single ? Am guessing if you are running doubles its with doubles 10RM, I used doubles RM with DFW but want to be absolutely certain.

Hello, am pondering having a crack at the Giant sometime. When it says 10 rep max does it mean with doubles or with a single ? Am guessing if you are running doubles its with doubles 10RM, I used doubles RM with DFW but want to be absolutely certain.
Hi Bill, yes for both singles and doubles. 10RM. 10RM being defined as 10 reps in good form before technique breaks down. In other words, you comfortably can get 10 good ones.

Using a single kettlebell can be a bit tricky in my mind. Since muscle gain is one of the potential benefits, my take is that you shouldn't really put the kettlebell down going between your right and left sides so its a kettlebell you can get 10 non stop on both sides. This is just my take on it. Maybe @Geoff Neupert can correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Bill, yes for both singles and doubles. 10RM. 10RM being defined as 10 reps in good form before technique breaks down. In other words, you comfortably can get 10 good ones.

Using a single kettlebell can be a bit tricky in my mind. Since muscle gain is one of the potential benefits, my take is that you shouldn't really put the kettlebell down going between your right and left sides so its a kettlebell you can get 10 non stop on both sides. This is just my take on it. Maybe @Geoff Neupert can correct me if I'm wrong.
Same with me. Same as Rite of Passage. Switch sides without putting bell down. I can see that being great for conditioning in 1.1 and 1.2

At this point in my life, I think Giant with one kettlebell is preferable than ROP. Set the timer and go. No matter how you feel, you're done in 20-30 minutes.

For ROP, if you're not feeling it on heavy day, you still need to do 5 ladders of 15 reps each. Could take 2 hours. 40-50 hard reps to me seems more beneficial than 75 as your body fatigues and the chance of injury increases.

Have one last workout of 1.1. Then on to 1.2. I have zero expectations other than getting sets in without failure.

Hi all, I'm about to start 1.0, just not sure about whether to run it with a single bell or doubles. For singles, is it a set with the right, and immediately into a set on the left, or a set right, rest, set left, rest, Repeat?

Haven't done much pressing lately, so I was considering the single bell to keep the volume lower, at least for the first run through.

Hi all, I'm about to start 1.0, just not sure about whether to run it with a single bell or doubles. For singles, is it a set with the right, and immediately into a set on the left, or a set right, rest, set left, rest, Repeat?

Haven't done much pressing lately, so I was considering the single bell to keep the volume lower, at least for the first run through.
I'm fairly confident that Geoff's intention was with the single bell version of the Giant was left side immediately into right side. I'm sure it could be done with a pause between sides too but I think the intent was a 10 RM wherein you get 10 on the left followed immediately by 10 on your right.

I'm fairly confident that Geoff's intention was with the single bell version of the Giant was left side immediately into right side. I'm sure it could be done with a pause between sides too but I think the intent was a 10 RM wherein you get 10 on the left followed immediately by 10 on your right.
Thanks John, will give it a run like that and see how I go

Same with me. Same as Rite of Passage. Switch sides without putting bell down. I can see that being great for conditioning in 1.1 and 1.2

At this point in my life, I think Giant with one kettlebell is preferable than ROP. Set the timer and go. No matter how you feel, you're done in 20-30 minutes.
That and autoregulation.

Hey Guys.
Just comming up on week 4 on Giant 1.1, and would love some imput.
So started of with 3.0 Doubble 20kgs, and now running 1.1 after 1.0.
1.0 week 1 :hit 101Reps in total
1.1 week 3 : Hit 194- in 25 mins
Would you say those numbers are "ok" to move on to 1.2 or should i rerun 1.0 +1.1 to try and get some more sets in the timeframe?
I tryed to test my 2x24kg press, and its still super weak, maybe 2-3-RM what i find abit odd, since my 20kg press have impproved alot.
havent tested my RM with the 20kgs- but i can do 8 sets of 8 now..
I would love some advice to what to transfer to next, i was thinking also maybe 3.0 with the 24's and do pushpress when i can strict em ?
also looking at Kingsized killer to spice things up abit.
And on a 2nd note, im trying to build up to actually being able to do a muscle up, so i found a simple pullup progression program, with basically is for 10 min EMOM do 2-3 pullups and 2-3 dips 3 times a week, would that be ok run run beside lets say either on off days or just after a 1.2 session you think?

Thanks in Advance

Hugs and kisses From Denmark

Morten

Hey Guys.
Just comming up on week 4 on Giant 1.1, and would love some imput.
So started of with 3.0 Doubble 20kgs, and now running 1.1 after 1.0.
1.0 week 1 :hit 101Reps in total
1.1 week 3 : Hit 194- in 25 mins
Would you say those numbers are "ok" to move on to 1.2 or should i rerun 1.0 +1.1 to try and get some more sets in the timeframe?
I tryed to test my 2x24kg press, and its still super weak, maybe 2-3-RM what i find abit odd, since my 20kg press have impproved alot.
havent tested my RM with the 20kgs- but i can do 8 sets of 8 now..
I would love some advice to what to transfer to next, i was thinking also maybe 3.0 with the 24's and do pushpress when i can strict em ?
also looking at Kingsized killer to spice things up abit.
And on a 2nd note, im trying to build up to actually being able to do a muscle up, so i found a simple pullup progression program, with basically is for 10 min EMOM do 2-3 pullups and 2-3 dips 3 times a week, would that be ok run run beside lets say either on off days or just after a 1.2 session you think?

Thanks in Advance

Hugs and kisses From Denmark

Morten
that's good progress already. regarding your issue with 2x24kg press, a few things would be good to understand. how's your technique with the double 20s, and are you pausing at the rack and then pressing each rep or are you using the momentum from the cleans to press the bells? Maybe try to take a pause at the rack and then start the press by going through all the principles of tension from the feet to the lats. See if that makes you feel any different, i.e. can you hit the reps that you are currently seeing if you just increase your time under tension by a bit. Also, how is your single 24kg KB press? what is the RM per arm?

that's good progress already. regarding your issue with 2x24kg press, a few things would be good to understand. how's your technique with the double 20s, and are you pausing at the rack and then pressing each rep or are you using the momentum from the cleans to press the bells? Maybe try to take a pause at the rack and then start the press by going through all the principles of tension from the feet to the lats. See if that makes you feel any different, i.e. can you hit the reps that you are currently seeing if you just increase your time under tension by a bit. Also, how is your single 24kg KB press? what is the RM per arm?
@mvikred
I Am pausing at the rack after the clean, but i think youre right regarding teQ, also my 24kgs bell are slightly larger "(funny enough ;)) so they doesnt feel the same way handling them, as the 20s. I havent tested my Single 24 press, but i had a back isue last year, where i got a minor discus prolapse a nerve got cought so i lost all Strengh in my left arm, so i went from something like 5 RM max on the 24s to not being able to press 8 kg :S .Its been a long Journey back... its better now for sure but its still quete weaker then my right. And to be honest im not sure its ever gonna be as it was... Im pretty confident, that my RM on my simgle 24 kg, with my right is about 5 and maybe 2 on my left -_-

It sounds like you are super close to being able to run 3.0 with the 24s, I would just run 1.2 personally and then hit 3.0. Even if the presses are shaky on 3.0, your body will adapt quickly IME.

@mvikred
I Am pausing at the rack after the clean, but i think youre right regarding teQ, also my 24kgs bell are slightly larger "(funny enough ;)) so they doesnt feel the same way handling them, as the 20s. I havent tested my Single 24 press, but i had a back isue last year, where i got a minor discus prolapse a nerve got cought so i lost all Strengh in my left arm, so i went from something like 5 RM max on the 24s to not being able to press 8 kg :S .Its been a long Journey back... its better now for sure but its still quete weaker then my right. And to be honest im not sure its ever gonna be as it was... Im pretty confident, that my RM on my simgle 24 kg, with my right is about 5 and maybe 2 on my left -_-
Its amazing that you came back from that injury. Seems like you are in the process of rebuilding strength and will have to be patient with it. Also have you considered running a single KB program like the RoP? The decision to run RoP with the 24kg was such a great decision I took last year - one that has paid me huge dividends ! Maybe you can consider that after your Giant 1.1 week 4. RoP is truly a grind but being patient with it and getting through will help a lot from my experience. I plan to run it with 28 this year (sometime in July/August).

Its amazing that you came back from that injury. Seems like you are in the process of rebuilding strength and will have to be patient with it. Also have you considered running a single KB program like the RoP? The decision to run RoP with the 24kg was such a great decision I took last year - one that has paid me huge dividends ! Maybe you can consider that after your Giant 1.1 week 4. RoP is truly a grind but being patient with it and getting through will help a lot from my experience. I plan to run it with 28 this year (sometime in July/August).
Its a good idea, and i like it i heard so much about ROP but never really dived into it yet :) - and you may be right im just not a very patient man im general haha. also have a ton of Dear Geoffs other stuff i should try out. I do love the simplycity . but ill Diffo look into ROP, Afterall PAvel was my first KB incounter, and started off watching his good ol Vidoes :)

It sounds like you are super close to being able to run 3.0 with the 24s, I would just run 1.2 personally and then hit 3.0. Even if the presses are shaky on 3.0, your body will adapt quickly IME.
i may be.. its just funny that the jump from 20 to 24 is that "tough" for me at last, im pretty sure i can do 10 - 12 ish dobble 20 C&P . but only like 2-3 with the Doubble 24. :)

Back
Top Bottom