all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Saturday:
2 hours wrestling and nogi. Went over underhook-headlock type throws, grindy, saggy style. I loved them, hit them and a bunch of other attacks in sparring. Then butterfly half, which went great in drilling, but couldn’t budge my partner in sparring. Weird.

3x3 clapping pushups.
5x5 bench press, top set of 155lbs for 2. 5x5 towel pullups up to 35lbsx5.
10,10,8+2 x95lbs wide grip bent over rows.
3x8x75lbs military press.
3x12 ab wheel rollouts. Tough on lats, abs felt pretty good, though not the tightest.
20,12,9 side delt raises with 10lbs plates.
10,7+1, 7+1 overhead triceps with 45lbs.
12, 6+2+2+2, 5+2+2+1+1+1 curls with 45lbs. Wow, myorep matching sucks. Tried to start around 3rir, but still struggled.

2.3m run in 30 minutes. Had some abdominal and foot pain that made me cut this short.

Everything but the bench/towel pullups was 1m rest. Have a bjj competition in a month, first adult and first blue belt tournament. Missed a lot of classes this week for different reasons though.

Last edited:
Monday:
5x2x175lbs power cleans. Felt really solid for the most part, I think it was a good decision to run this weight back. 2m rest.
4,3,3,3,3x185lbs Front Squat. Solid. Actually got smoother with sets. 2m rest.
3x10 razor curls, 1m rest.

1.5 hours gi. Trying to use the Bernardo Faria under/over pass. I think it might be best for heavyweights, haven’t made it work.

Last edited:
Tuesday:
5x5 up to 105lbs Military press (0rir), superset with 5,5,5,5,4 pullups up to 40lbs.
3x10 explosive pushups, 1m rest. Just kept doing pushups after I lost explosiveness, had maybe 10,8,6 strong reps.
3x10x70lbs krok rows, 1m rest.
1,3,4,3,4 partial rom standing ab wheel.
8, 7+1, 4+2+1+1 chinups, 1m rest.

2 hours nogi. Practiced close guard breaks into my passes, and did good in sparring. Got several no-underhook knee slices a-la Andrew Wiltse, it’s a good complement to my HQ game on the reverse DLR side. Struggled with back control, jammed my thumb twice in a row trying to superduck. Need to keep a “paw” grip on high crotch shots.

Last edited:
Wednesday:
4.78 mile run in 1:03 hours. First mile was 11:45, overall 13:18. Dipped into Z3 a lot, couldn’t keep that HR down. I carried a plastic water bottle, and it only distracted me with thoughts of water because I didn’t want to stop.

Thursday:
1.5 hours nogi. Some passing drills, breaking closed gaurd mostely. Then sparring. Did good wrestling, did good passing. Passed AJs gaurd about 25 times, maybe 20 were knee slice variations. Almost all underhooks from seated or open gaurd, only some HQ and 1 or 0 with no underhook.

Friday:
Rack power cleans from thigh: 3x135, 4x3x145, 2m rest.
3x7 double leg bounds, 1.5m rest.
3x gwiz jump into SL stair jumps, 3 steps. Hard to cycle at 3 steps
3x16 alternating lunges with 125, 2m rest.
3x30s neck bridges with 50lbs, 25s rest.

Last edited:
Saturday:
AM:
2 hours wrestling. Handfighting, drilling, wrestling and up/down work. Got in on a lot of single and double shots, but got Dake Bomb-ed on most of them. Focusing on getting shots by clearing ties. Ex, Post-double, snap-double. Cardio is doing great, I'm not getting very tired, but my head posture is getting broken more than I'd like, as if I'm not already doing tons of neck bridges. Going to video my bridges and check what they look like, then consider adding neck bridge neck extentions.
PM:
Bench press fives up to 145lbs, 2x155. Superset with 6x5 rope pullups up to 25lbs. Going up from dead hang, dropping w/out eccentric and going again in a cluster set. This is far harder on the grip than the towel. 2m rest.
3x8x95lbs bent over rows. Back to bench press grip, going to pack some more weight on this movement as more of a strength lift than a bodybuilding one. 1m rest.
3x8x75lbs BB Military Press. Fairly quick and comfortable reps. Will add weight once it gets easier. Actually rested 1.5m instead of 1m before set 3.
15,15,12+ 3 ab wheel rollouts. 1m rest.
15, 8+5+3, 7+4+2+1+1 45lbs fat grip curls.
18, 13+5,9+4+1+1+1+1 10lbs side delts. Basically guessing those myorep match sets.

2.66 mile run in 29:30. All zone 2. Felt great. Cooler weather certainly helped.

Last edited:
It’s been really hard personally for me the past few days.

Didn’t feel in the right state to lift, so I ran 4.51 miles in 59m.

Tuesday:
Another poor day. Honestly don't know how I mess things up so bad for myself. So I just went in and just did the big lifts, ditched everything else.

Up to 4x105lbs military press, superset with up to 3x45lbs weighted pullups.

Wednesday:
4.75mile run in 31:00 minutes. Good work. Will just do lower body once this week, and then the full hypertrophy day.

Friday:
Power Clean: 2,2 (missed the third by dropping it into zercher position), 2,3,2x175lbs, 2m rest.
Front Squat: 3,3,3,2,2x185lbs front squat. Might need to drop back down. Tweaked my low back, so I stopped after this. 2m rest.

Yesterday’s NoGi went extremely well. Stayed on top and passed a lot of good gaurds.

Last edited:
Saturday:
Bench press up to 145lbsx5, 155lbsx3, superset with rope pullups up to 25lbsx4, 35,45lbsx1. I took off the grip tape on the rope because it actually makes it slipperier, after the 25lbs set when I couldn’t hold on for the 5th rep.
3x8x105lbs bent over rows, 1m rest.
3x8x75lbs military press, 1m rest. 0-1rir I think.
3x15 ab wheel rollouts. Last set was a grind.
13,9+4,6+3+2+2 fat grip curl myorep match. Swollen biceps.
3x10 reverse flies, 3x10 face pulls with 20lbs blue band.

Last edited:
Monday:
4.66 mile run in 1 hour.

Tuesday:
Up to 4x40lbs weighted pullups, superset with up to 5 or 6x105lbs military press. 2m rest.
3x10x70lba krok rows, 1m rest.
3x3 partial rom standing ab wheel. 1m rest.
8,7+1,6+2 chinup. 1m rest.

Wednesday:
175lbs power cleans: 3,3,2,3,2 ish
Up to 215lbs front squat, 225 back squat, 185lbs front squat for 4,3,3,3,3.

Quads really sore the next day lol.

Friday:
2.58 mile run in 29:00 minutes. Lost my HR monitor, so I probably exceeded Z2 for much of that. Will test 1.5 mile run after BJJ competition next week.

20,20,15, tib raises.

Last edited:
Thursday:
I’ve had a painful spot in my middle-left back next to my spine. Bugged me while cleaning at work, and it’s been going off periodically. Like a hot musclely type pain in my trap rather than a spine pain.
Up to 4x20lbs, 3x25lbs rope chinups. Couldn’t go as heavy as I thought after my 45lbs single. Constantly slipping down the rope.
Up to 3x155lbs fat grip bench press. Solid.
3x8 alternating lunges with 115lbs, 2m rest. Have to unrack strongly to avoid my trap pain.
Skipped rows became they set off my back/left trap. It was probably the krok rows that caused it.
20,15,12 ab wheel rollout, 1m rest.
3x50lbsx30s neck bridges per side, 30s rest.
3x15 myorep match, 1m rest. Big pump. Gonna add weight next time.

One week until GB Compnet tournament, blue belt gi and Blue absolute gi, and blue and purple nogi. Honestly there’s no reason that I can’t win any these divisions. But we’ll see. I’ve been skipping some BJJ sessions for family stuff (family goes before athletics, and I want my choices to reflect that), or lack of laundry discipline (which is infuriating).

Tuesday:
Happy Independence Day!
Went for a sweltering hour run. Pretty far, but not my farthest. Phone died on the way back so I don’t know exact time/distance. Exceeded Z2 by a lot at times, even though I went fairly slow. Off day, maybe just heat.

Wednesday:
Final lift before Saturday comp:
3,2,3,2 power cleans with 175.
3x3 with 185. Solid.
Up to 5x20, 3x30, 1x45 weighted rope chins. Tough. Fingers slipping down all the time.
Up to 5x105lbs military press. Easy.

Thursday: 1.58 mile run in 14:45. Last 7 minites were a hard(ish) run, up to 190BPM.

Todays NoGi was exhausting. Either I was gripping and fighting way harder than before, or my recent lack of sleep discipline is catching up with me. Either way, I’m sleeping extra and taking a rest day tomorrow.

Last edited:
Saturday: GB Compnet Tournament:
Nogi: Lost first match against a biggish guy. On the feet I was too passive and hesitant, got ducked and I should have granbied from the rear body lock. Had my back almost taken, escaped and was mounted, submitted via gullutine. My bottom and escapes need much work, and I need to be more aggressive and focused standing.

Third place nogi: Won. Ankle pick because the kid wasn’t strong, should have shot aggressively. DLR knee slice, should have gone to HQ. Sloppy mount off his turning into me, took his back and got reversed to full gaurd, he stood up and I went butterfly. Ankle pick from bottom, DLR knee slice again. Side control, back take, rear naked choke. Did good, but should have been better.

Gi: 2-man bracket, one match, against smallish nogi winner. Went underhook, almost got gullutined due to bad head position. Got thrown, got up. Got out, used underhook to get inside single, picked far ankle to smash half with Von Flu choke (he got the gullutine again.) almost got him, but didn’t know it and he escapes to DLR/HQ position. DLR knee slice into re-knee slice, reset to DLR and got triangled, tapped earlier than I should have.

A little disappointed with the results, but I didn’t do bad. Need to work on bottom escapes, guard, and aggression on the feet.

I’m thinking about my next program. I think I’m going to do a PTTP Bear variation.

M:
Power Cleans. 5x1-3, 3x5 pulls?
Front Squat 5,3,2, 80% working weight back squat 5s for 20 minutes?
1 set lunges, Neck Bridges
T:
Towel chin 5,3,2, pullup/chinup 5s. For 20m
BB military press 5,3,2, 80% 5s. For. 20m.
Probably a superset.
1 set bent over rows, fat curls, triceps
W: 30m run.
T
Power Cleans. 5x1-3, 3x5 pulls?
Front Squat 5,3,2, 80% working weight back squat 5s for 20 minutes?
Leg Raises, razor curls
F:
Towel chin 5,3,2, pullup/chinup 5s. For 20m
BB military press 5,3,2, 80% 5s. For. 20m.
Probably a superset.
1 set ab wheel, delts, face pulls.
S: 1 hour run.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom