all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Getting through a "mental block" with a certain weight

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

lais817

Level 7 Valued Member
I've got an issue with the 24kg bell for presses. It's gotten into my head and even though it is my 2-3RM, I look at it and think to myself "I can't press that bell". It makes me rush my reps, and it's almost as if I'm scared of it. I can easily TGU it, jerk it and swing it til the cows come home, but for presses it's beating me.

Anybody got any good strategies for getting around something like this?

Push press it for a while. It worked quite well for me a few times. You’d be surprised how quickly it helps your strict press.

I just saw you can jerk it, so push press may not help.

Do you press with your upper back? If I forget to use my upper back, my press can get a bit ugly.

For me it helped to do other stuff with bigger bells. Deadlift a 40, farmer carry a 32 around, TGU 28 (that is especially good since you get the feeling of controlling it overhead), you get the idea. It makes bigger bells look downright manageable instead of intimidating, and smaller bells tiny by comparison.

Not my idea, I read it in a newsletter or something from Pavel Macek.

A lot of ways to approach it.

Use a weight slightly higher (obviously for singles) and lower (for more reps) and hover above and below the weight for a while
Spend time in the rack position w. the weight so that it starts to feel like no biggie
Spend time in the overhead position w. the weight so that it starts to feel like no biggie
Spend time away from the KB and work on assistance exercises that will help your KB press (barbell military press, tricep work, upper back work) - come back after a few weeks and blast the target weight up
Take a week off and then drink a lot of coffee, crank up the psyche-up music you like and punch out reps w. the target weight like a madman

I've got an issue with the 24kg bell for presses. It's gotten into my head and even though it is my 2-3RM, I look at it and think to myself "I can't press that bell". It makes me rush my reps, and it's almost as if I'm scared of it. I can easily TGU it, jerk it and swing it til the cows come home, but for presses it's beating me.

How are you training the press right now? Are you training it with the 16kg or 20kg?

Press is quite sensitive to the technique.
I have pressed it for 7. And there were days that I can do just 3. You can misgrove it.
But - press is a very safe thing to do. Just push harder, and make sure you are tight in you midsection.

Smelling salts work great.

Also pick up the book psych from Strongfirst. Lots of great strategies in there too.

“Whether you think you can or you think you cannot, you’re probably right.”

Mental blocks can be tough and are common amongst strength athletes. However, let’s break it down. If you’re thinking you cannot press it, you lack confidence. Confidence, as great music teacher Howard Roberts claimed, comes from preparation. Preparation comes from disciplined practice.

If you want to press that weight, make it a goal worth working towards. Methods are numerous, but often require focused attention for a considerable time with the objective of reaching that goal. There are innumerable press programs for free on SF.

Lots of power push-ups + BB MP's + BU KB presses.

Spend more time with it. Get comfortable feeling it.

I haven’t tested my RM with the 24 in a while, but I think I am around the same strength as you with presses. I care less about KB presses and more about calisthenics right now, so I have been doing handstand push-ups against the wall for a good 5-Ish months (started at about 3RM, and now can do consecutive sets of 5) When I pick up the 24 to test it, it goes wayyyy easier than it used to.

Not trying to tell you to do handstand push-ups, but I think the lesson is that finding a way to get used to heavier pushing overhead will help.

Since you can do TGUs with it, just do a negative and/or a jerk or push press once you have it overhead. The long push press is also a great option. If you’re not familiar, it’s basically a kettlebell front squat followed by a press immediately as you stand up. It gives juuuust enough added momentum to help the press.

A few ideas.
1. Before pressing the 24 I would do a short warm up.
2. Some days grease the groove the 24.
3. Visualize yourself pressing it with ease.
4. Practice full body tension. Or do a hardstyle plank right before pressing to get your tension dialed in.
5. Do some rack holds with a heavier bell.

Just some ideas.

Just about to complete 12 weeks of ROP jurassic with the 20kg, which has definitely helped in the strength department.
Have you ever practiced visualization techniques? Judd Biasotto describes a lot in a book called Psych.

Other than that - training at or near a 1RM is a pretty "scary" thing, and especially if it is a max max, it is not something you can hit every day. If you're finishing ROP with 20kg (5x1-2-3-4-5), you will most likely have significantly increased your 24kg press. If not, and you're still feeling a bit overwhelmed by it, familiarization with it via something like a singles program or something like Soba and Tuba will give you a lot of experience working with the 24kg repeatedly. The more you handle something, the more you become confident in your abilities.

Back
Top Bottom