all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Getting through a "mental block" with a certain weight

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Good ideas from @Luis T. Gonzalez and @solarbear :

Greasing they groove/ multiple singles and/or doubles. That’s how I have been improving my handstand push-ups. Do a couple-few reps in the morning, at the start/end of training, before dinner, etc. If you have days where you’re home all day, it’s amazing how many total reps you can get in doing grease the groove style training.

I recently did giant 3.0 and that is a decent 4 week program. If you really want to gain some serious strength do a custom Plan Strong Plan along with axe or q&d and you will have a solid plan to get strong quick.

Besides warming up, for me what works sometimes is approaching the lift like it's life and death. Mentally you must make the lift or you will die. Obviously have some sort of safety in place if it's something potentially dangerous like a max bench or squat. Lol

I asked since I have students with high levels of anxiety and struggle in a similar manner..

How many times can you press 20kg?
It's a fair question, I don't think I'm an anxious person by nature generally.

The 20kg was my C+P 10RM 6 weeks ago, haven't tested since.

Used the 24kg for singles today, and did some 32kg TGU. I think I will check out the Psyche book, and then Soju and Tuba the 24kg over the Xmas period and see where I end up in the new year, as has been said, I think spending some more time with the 24kg will remove some of the stigma from it.

Thanks all for your help and input

It's a fair question, I don't think I'm an anxious person by nature generally.

The 20kg was my C+P 10RM 6 weeks ago, haven't tested since.
Ok so have you considered "wearing out" the 20kg?

Run a cycle of the ROP then chase it down with the giant.. then retest your 24kg press

I rarely do this but I always look back and think I should (wearing out a bell - I'm always raring to go to get to the next bell).
I like that, “wearing out a bell”. I’m currently doing maximorum with lighter bells than I should, so my squat catches up with my C&P. It sucks in a way, because we all love low rep heavy, but I think there’s lots of benefits to dropping the weight a little and doing lots of reps. And I doubt my strength will drop.

I’ve also had to eat humble pie and drop down a bell size. It sucked at the time but going a bit lighter never hurt.

Turning the 20kg into a 12-15rm will surely give you a 5-7rm with the 24
Fair point. I think since I've be able actually press the 24kg, I've been really keen to use it in a program, just to prove to myself that I can now do so. Building a wider base with the 20kg is undoubtedly the smarter approach though, do you reckon start with Giant 1.0, or jump ahead a bit?

Fair point. I think since I've be able actually press the 24kg, I've been really keen to use it in a program, just to prove to myself that I can now do so. Building a wider base with the 20kg is undoubtedly the smarter approach though, do you reckon start with Giant 1.0, or jump ahead a bit?
You could giant 3.0 with your 24. It’s low rep, and you could start it by push pressing it, and by halfway through you’ll be able to strict press it comfortably. I did this myself, with 28’s and was surprised that so quickly I went from push pressing, to strict pressing.

@lais817 There is a pressing program in the Strongfirst App that did me a lot of good. Written by Fabio Zonin - 12 Weeks (including Taper and Test) uses Light Medium and Heavy kettlebells for LIght Medium and Heavy days 3 days a week. MIght be worth a look.
For me, its ironic that you can TGU 32 and find it awkward to press 24 whereas I am very definitely the other way round pressing 30 and struggling with 24 TGU must have different strengths/weaknesses in various bits and pieces.

I find that holding a weight heavier then what I want to go to next in a static hold helps. Gets the nervous system ready for the heavier weight. A good increase is about 10-15%heavier. I find this works great with static holds on squat and bench but the process would be fine for a KB press as well.

Stick with 1.0 you can always just punch the density or add pauses, tempo to really own the volume and rep range..

There are also times where you may need to use a different plan to bridge the gap for a certain bell to be used for a given plan

Stick with 1.0 you can always just punch the density or add pauses, tempo to really own the volume and rep range..

There are also times where you may need to use a different plan to bridge the gap for a certain bell to be used for a given plan
Good point. Do you think there would be any value in doing 1.0 but instead of clean and press, just do a single clean and then military press to focus more on the press element? Or just run the program as written?

Too many bloody options for my OCD...

Good point. Do you think there would be any value in doing 1.0 but instead of clean and press, just do a single clean and then military press to focus more on the press element? Or just run the program as written?

Too many bloody options for my OCD...
Run it as written first then retest..

This is also another reason I often recommend working with an instructor so we cull our biases and comfort zone

Back
Top Bottom