all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

First day second cycle!

Tested max rep at double 28's: 10!

Gave myself 5 minutes rest and started 20 minutes of Giant 1.0 day 1. Everything was pumped after two repeats and fried after 5 repeats. So volume wise this was waaaaay lower then 3.0; but I'll get there again (L)

Oh, and numberwise (last week Friday):
- 5 + 5 jerks @ 40 kg (technical difficulty, not strength)
- 3 + 3 Military Press @ 32; could probably done 4, but this was comfortable.
- 1 + 1 Military Press @ 36; still my current 1RM, but haven't been able to do it for a while.

Topped that training off with Iron Cardio 20 minutes alternating weight 32/36 clean-press-squat, did 10 rounds (so 5+5 of both weight at both arms)

I did a density week of the 2.0 today. (25 minutes week 4, day 1). I managed 63 reps in 24:45. I'm trashed right now. I have no idea how some of you get 80 + reps in a session!!
I’m just about to start 2.0 in the next hour or so. I’m usually throwing in weighted dips and pull ups after the giant, along with a run, but I am right now debating with myself about the dips and pull ups. I’m far from trashed but the fact I’m debating with myself is a sign I’m starting to feel it. Friday 28th was the last day of 1.2 and I topped out at 88 reps. I dogged it a little if I’m honest. I should’ve got 12 sets of 8.

Today I wrapped up week 3 of 1.0 with the 32s, with next week as my deload (20% reduction from week 3’s numbers). Each session is 30 minutes in length.

I used the same format for 3.0, which suits me very well as my hands and wrists start feeling it in peak week. The 32s are quite heavy for me at a BW of 79kg and my joints aren’t big so I need to take care of them when they start barking!

It’s interesting watching the volume creep up when you do the sums. My weekly volumes over the two rounds are below.

Week 1 = 84
Week 2 = 96
Week 3 = 112
Week 4 = deload

Week 1 = 92
Week 2 = 107
Week 3 = 130
Week 4 - deload

My thoughts at this stage are that I’ll continue for another round of 1.0 before jumping up to 1.1 or 2.0 to really ‘solidify’ the current rep range and eke out a little more volume from it. I can’t quite fathom sets of 8 yet, even at the top of a ladder.

At the rate I’m going, it’s looking like 24 weeks of The Giant before I cycle any other programs in - and I’m not unhappy about that!

Went to test my rep max this morning with double 32s and I was only able to get 5 reps, but honestly I could
Have gotten 7 strength wise. I had more in the tank, but cardio wise I was gassed lol. Now, before starting my first round of 3.0 with double 32s getting 5 reps was an all out max. These 5 felt good…But I think I underestimated the cardio effect of moving double 32s has past 5 reps lol. Debating if I want to repeat 3.0, but I’m leaning towards 1.0 with double 32s and seeing how the first week goes. I did a light ABC workout this morning but felt compelled to try a few more sets of C P this afternoon and both times I got 5 reps no major struggle.

Went to test my rep max this morning with double 32s and I was only able to get 5 reps, but honestly I could
Have gotten 7 strength wise. I had more in the tank, but cardio wise I was gassed lol. Now, before starting my first round of 3.0 with double 32s getting 5 reps was an all out max. These 5 felt good…But I think I underestimated the cardio effect of moving double 32s has past 5 reps lol. Debating if I want to repeat 3.0, but I’m leaning towards 1.0 with double 32s and seeing how the first week goes. I did a light ABC workout this morning but felt compelled to try a few more sets of C P this afternoon and both times I got 5 reps no major struggle.
Well that’s definitely an improvement! Good work.

All I’d say, as someone who’s just run 1.0 with a (tough) 9RM, is don’t underestimate the 6-rep sessions. They’re really tough off the back low reps, especially when the RM isn’t that far above.

Even if you’re getting 5s without trouble, can you do enough of them in 20-30 minutes to achieve the effect you’re after? And then the 6s two days later?

In the position of having a 5-7RM with 32s - which is where I was when I started 3.0 - I’d definitely suggest playing it conservatively and use another round of 3.0 to drive your max up a bit further. I think you may get more out of 1.0 that way.

EDIT: I forgot to add that this is just my very humble opinion, which of course you're welcome to take or leave! I've just come from a similar position, is all.

Last edited:
@Gypsyplumber that's great!

All I’d say, as someone who’s just run 1.0 with a (tough) 9RM, is don’t underestimate the 6-rep sessions. They’re really tough off the back low reps, especially when the RM isn’t that far above.

Even if you’re getting 5s without trouble, can you do enough of them in 20-30 minutes to achieve the effect you’re after? And then the 6s two days later?

In the position of having a 5-7RM with 32s - which is where I was when I started 3.0 - I’d definitely suggest playing it conservatively and use another round of 3.0 to drive your max up a bit further. I think you may get more out of 1.0 that way.

EDIT: I forgot to add that this is just my very humble opinion, which of course you're welcome to take or leave! I've just come from a similar position, is all.
I know Geoff doesn’t have a version like this, but I’d almost want to try it going 4 on Monday, 5 on wed, 2 on Friday’s but we’ll see…

Yeah the 6 rep days would be a beast at this point lol

So, on Monday I did autoregulation 20 minutes, and thought I was doing well. I did 3 sets of 5 and looked at the clock and was barely 5 minutes in. So completely pumped myself up and locking out was troublesome ;)

Today I wanted to try for 6 of 6, and ended up doing 7 (every 4 minutes on the minute). It's not autoregulation, but it sure helps me not going to fast. Probably going to shoot for 8 sets next week, every 3.45 min.

Another thought I had: if I can do 10x 6, at some point this cycle, I completed Strong! In 8 weeks The Giant xD

The other option I’ve seen others do is the push press one, I’d probably only need to do push presses on Wednesday’s but I’m leaning towards running 3.0 again.
You're talking your 32s, correct? If so with a 5RM you could run the Strong Program which also is designed for a 4 to 5 RM which is what they are now.....after phase 1 you could go into phase 2 or the Giant 1.0.

Just a thought.

So, on Monday I did autoregulation 20 minutes, and thought I was doing well. I did 3 sets of 5 and looked at the clock and was barely 5 minutes in. So completely pumped myself up and locking out was troublesome ;)

Today I wanted to try for 6 of 6, and ended up doing 7 (every 4 minutes on the minute). It's not autoregulation, but it sure helps me not going to fast. Probably going to shoot for 8 sets next week, every 3.45 min.

Another thought I had: if I can do 10x 6, at some point this cycle, I completed Strong! In 8 weeks The Giant xD
@Tjerr that's kind of how I ran the 36s last year....minute 0,4,8,etc. Even with 3 plus minutes of rest my heart rate still was jacked at the end!

I know Geoff doesn’t have a version like this, but I’d almost want to try it going 4 on Monday, 5 on wed, 2 on Friday’s but we’ll see…
To be honest as long as you’re sensible (as your numbers are here) and keep them consistent for 4 weeks I don’t see why ‘in between 3.0 and 1.0’ programs like this wouldn’t work.

I guess Geoff would answer with just run the 3.0 again and try and beat your reps from last time round so there’s no need to create ‘in between 3.0 and 1.0’ programs.

Here is how I plan to pick my way through the Giant maze:

TRM / 60% / Largest set / Giant Choice
5 / 3 / 3 / 3.0
6,7 / 3.6-4.2 / 4 / 3.0+ (1 extra rep per set)
8,9 / 4.8-5.4 / 5 / 3.0++ (2 extra reps per set)
10-12 / 6-7.2 / 6 / 1.0
13-14 / 7.8-8.4 / 8 / 1.1
15 / 9 / 9 / 1.2 or 2.0

I still think this is a good way to think about the Giant.

*off topic: it was sensible to read all the 107 pages ;)

So today was supposed to be week 4 day 2 of the 2.0 with 32s, 25 minute density week.

I have no idea why I did this but I ended up doing a warm up with 36s and did a 30 minute ladder session with them! Without completely wrecking myself I managed 53 reps in 29 minutes.

I'm thinking of starting either the 1.0 or 2.0 on Monday with the 36s!

Very excited!

Back
Top Bottom