all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Goblet squat WTH effect!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'd say more practice and work on groin stretching. This will allow your hips to open up enough for higher kicks and definitely help with Cossack squats. In fact I'd say just use Cossacks as part of your routine stretching/mobility and work on getting deeper on the exhale, you'll be able to do them with resistance soon enough.

I normally keep my straight leg foot pointed forward instead of toes to the sky as commonly done, and I prefer to cant my bent leg foot to the side instead of forward. A good bit of hinge is also needed to get low.

I will occasionally rotate upper torso from facing over my bent leg to pointing as far to the straight leg as mobility will allow.

For stretching I plant the hand over my bent leg, about 18 inches out, and dig my elbow into the crook of my knee. Then slowly lean forward onto the balls of both feet, turning it into a prying Cossack squat. This is one of my daily stretches.

That is great mobility! Thanks for the video. I will add that to my convict conditioning 2 trifecta routine.

Both are good. The one with the foot on the floor is sometimes called "martial art cossack" (imagine a low Chinese martial art stance).

Foot on the floor makes more sense don't you think? It is a basic kung fu stance.

Foot on the floor makes more sense don't you think? It is a basic kung fu stance.
It depends. It is a matter of goals.
In RIS, Pavel recommends to vary the direction of the foot. You can also find a very good 3-part article about the cossack squat on the Flexible steel website, with both versions.

Thanks. I don't remember when I started doing Cossacks, especially with that mobility addition where you rock forward and back at the bottom (3rd one in that Instagram post)... possibly after the SF bodyweight class with Karen Smith in 2015. But although I was always mobile, I used to struggle with the strength aspect. More barbell training starting in 2017 really helped to get my legs strong enough to do them reliably.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom