all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Got a stress test done yesterday….

Any advice is welcome.

Pick a goal. Formulate a plan to achieve the goal. Plan the work then work the plan. If a current practice takes you further from the goal rather than brings you closer to it, eliminate if you can, i.e., you can't change your job, but you can change everything else so change what doesn't support your goal. It's fine if your goal is to be 300+ lbs and very strong and die whenever you die - then you don't need to change anything.

-S-

First — you didn’t tell us why your doc ordered a stress test. Probably you had a symptom or your provider had a concern. This is significant in itself.

Second—you failed the stress test. It identified hypertension. You now have a medical problem which calls for a medical intervention. Work with a medical professional to address this.

Third—do the recommended medical intervention. This might include a pill so that you can safely exercise. It may be you have sleep apnea and need a CPAP (this is common for folks who are overweight with hypertension). Weight loss, diet, exercise, stress reduction, and breathing will all be part of this. Once you have your lifestyle/sleep/weight dialed in you may no longer need a pill or whatever. Again, work with a provider (if you’re not a fan of allopathic medicine consider a naturopath). Also, if the medical recommendation doesn’t work for you — tell your provider.

Fourth — start a simple regimen. Walking is probably a good start. If you are walking consider adding weight as you lose weight (ie put 10# in a backpack once you’ve lost 10#). I have found “punch the clock” workouts with few moving parts and little thought to be key for me as I work shifts as well and have bad sleep. For you something the easy strength for fat loss (@Dan John), simple and sinister, or iron cardio @Brett Jones might work well. Don’t start these working out until you have an OK from your medical provider - Remember all those disclaimers at the front of the book? Those are for you.

Finally — good luck! I mean that sincerely. You have had a wake up call and you have a community here to support you.

Night shift. Day shift. Night shift day shift. Etc
Do you qualify for a pension or something? It seems like your boss is trying to kill you before you collect.
And what i do For work is i locate Underground utilities for contractors before they dig so they don’t blow themselves up or kill anyone else. It’s an important job but also stressful because it falls on me at the end of the day.
So something I learned back when I did system admin, “your failure to plan does not constitute an emergency on my part” if they don’t call the hotline until the week before, that’s their problem. Don’t kill yourself over it to accommodate their poor planning.

The struggle with that is the metabolism issue. My appetite goes apeshit when i lift Lol

Which is exactly why you should never over-train when on a low-calorie diet.

I have successfully built muscle *and* lost fat these three months. Prior to that, I thought such a thing was impossible. But it's really really doable if you do it right.

Just remember that you can not train full-time while calorie-restricted. But with lower volume and lower training frequency, it is feasible to expect strength gains when eating little.

I'm currently sitting at a 225-pound squat for a ten-rep max right now. When I started, I could barely manage, if at all, five reps of that. Other lifts like bent-over rows went up too.

Weight loss really plateaued, but I did lose weight.

It's very possible.

The struggle with that is the metabolism issue. My appetite goes apeshit when i lift Lol
Any sort of lifting? Maybe you can experiment with different set/rep/loading schemes and see if there’s some lifting that doesn’t flare up your appetite so much.

Alternatively, hunger in many cases is a learned response, and that means it can be unlearned too. Intermittent fasting has always helped me lose weight, and in no small part because it helps me realize when I’m actually hunger vs “I feel like I could eat” or “that looks/sounds tasty”. You don’t need to fast, you can also just plan to eat at certain times and ignore your cravings otherwise. (FWIW, water/tea/coffee often help me get over the 10–30 hunger feelings that pop up while fasting.)

If you can't cut how much you eat after lifting, maybe eat more protein and less carbs? Like when you get a couple or 4 burgers, throw away the buns and just eat the meat and veggies.. or something... and don't get fries...

This article mentions protein over carbs, as well as other tips like guzzle a lot of water before eating... also mentions stress eating vs eating caused by physical hunger

Oh and I saw your name in the ad for Sore Joint Solution. So maybe a session of SJS/P3 mobility before going to bed? The diaphragmatic breathing seems to be calming.

First — you didn’t tell us why your doc ordered a stress test. Probably you had a symptom or your provider had a concern. This is significant in itself.

Second—you failed the stress test. It identified hypertension. You now have a medical problem which calls for a medical intervention. Work with a medical professional to address this.

Third—do the recommended medical intervention. This might include a pill so that you can safely exercise. It may be you have sleep apnea and need a CPAP (this is common for folks who are overweight with hypertension). Weight loss, diet, exercise, stress reduction, and breathing will all be part of this. Once you have your lifestyle/sleep/weight dialed in you may no longer need a pill or whatever. Again, work with a provider (if you’re not a fan of allopathic medicine consider a naturopath). Also, if the medical recommendation doesn’t work for you — tell your provider.

Fourth — start a simple regimen. Walking is probably a good start. If you are walking consider adding weight as you lose weight (ie put 10# in a backpack once you’ve lost 10#). I have found “punch the clock” workouts with few moving parts and little thought to be key for me as I work shifts as well and have bad sleep. For you something the easy strength for fat loss (@Dan John), simple and sinister, or iron cardio @Brett Jones might work well. Don’t start these working out until you have an OK from your medical provider - Remember all those disclaimers at the front of the book? Those are for you.

Finally — good luck! I mean that sincerely. You have had a wake up call and you have a community here to support you.
One I didn’t need to explain why.

Two a stress test is geared toward reach max heart rate based on THEIR baseline/max.

From here all the above doesn’t matter. I never stated issues with eating etc. but you rule for reaching out and I thank you!

I do Sleep with a CPAP. Btw.

If you can't cut how much you eat after lifting, maybe eat more protein and less carbs? Like when you get a couple or 4 burgers, throw away the buns and just eat the meat and veggies.. or something... and don't get fries...

This article mentions protein over carbs, as well as other tips like guzzle a lot of water before eating... also mentions stress eating vs eating caused by physical hunger

Oh and I saw your name in the ad for Sore Joint Solution. So maybe a session of SJS/P3 mobility before going to bed? The diaphragmatic breathing seems to be calming.
I’m in an add for sore joint solution? Lol

I’m in an add for sore joint solution? Lol

"Brandon hurts his hip on Day 8 of a 21-day hip mobility challenge... fixes in minutes using P3"

I guess there might be more than one Brandon Trahan who is a big guy who does BJJ in a blue (or is it green? cannot tell from the pic) gi.

Oh, but the pic of the text from "Brandon" mentions Manly Mobility instead of SJS, which I guess is the "short" version of SJS/.

Last edited:
Oh man. Night shift. Day shift. Night shift day shift. Etc.

If day shift start at 3 am. Sometimes 4 am or 5 am.

Basically my schedule is so hectic it’s NEVER normal. It’s horrendous!

I'd sort that out before anything tbh even if it requires a complete life change. I work in medicine and it's horrendous the amount of 40 or 50 something men that have HTN and related things like kidney failure and CVAs due to it which usually seems to be work stress lifestyle related.

Honestly all the kettlebells / lifting / cardio etc etc is not going to mean much until you get that done.

@Brandon Trahan
Mate I’ve had people tell me to get another job because your health is more important. Easier said than done. You don’t need that. You just need to do some research make a some changes & live ya best life.
In retrospect my high blood pressure problem was one of the best things to happen to me. I prioritised a few things, tweaked a couple of habits, & let go of some s*** that was a little ego driven.
Make some changes, get BP number down & I believe you’ll feel the same way.
You’ll be thankful your body forced you to fine tune a couple of things that allowed you to fully realise your potential.
Everything happens for a reason big fella, embrace it.

Mr. T

I recommend that you purchase a blood pressure monitor for home use.
Of coarse you will need one with a large cuff.
————————————————————————
The American Heart Association recommends that people with high blood pressure use a validated automatic, cuff-style, upper arm monitor, since readings from wrist or finger monitors tend to be less reliable.
————————————————————————

I'm curious if you have actual hypertension or just "exercise hypertension". And do the two necessarily go together?

They had to stop me in the middle of the test because my blood pressure got too high. 230/70. Apparently my heart is good. But the Blood Pressure is Excercise hypertension.

Do you know what your resting blood pressure tends to be? If not I'd agree with @Bill Lets and recommend getting a BP cuff and monitoring it for a couple of weeks.

I'm no doctor but maybe that's the bigger issue than your size?

From what I've learned from people like Matthew Walker, poor sleep is the #1 driving factor for things like heart problems. In his book he mentioned that on the night where we lose an hour of sleep due to daylight savings time, the number of heart attacks rises significantly, while it decreases for the same amount in the night we gain an hour of sleep.

If it's in any way possible, I'd recommend fixing that issue first
Wow that’s interesting. Yes my sleep is piss poor. Even when i get A solid 8-9 hours, my sleep disruption is awful. I take Magnesium at night before bed and sometimes i get Quality sleep. Most of the time i dont

I'm curious if you have actual hypertension or just "exercise hypertension". And do the two necessarily go together?

Do you know what your resting blood pressure tends to be? If not I'd agree with @Bill Lets and recommend getting a BP cuff and monitoring it for a couple of weeks.
Hey Anna. So i have Pre hypertension at baseline. Meaning if i am Mid day walking around then sit down for 10 min and check it it will be 140/85 (depending) sometimes 150/85.

Now in the morning when i wake Up it’s like 129/68.

But based on what the cardiologist said , he said I’m not at risk for any ischemia. Which is good. But said to keep exercising just don’t over exert. Kinda vague honestly lol

Back
Top Bottom