all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Got a stress test done yesterday….

I'm not getting the relationship between carbs and salt for you, sorry.
I will hope to shed light on this.

Under the influence of a carb-laden diet, several factors changed for the negative for me. I believe it's because in general, my hormonal set point has a higher background noise insulin level in general and a higher secretion of insulin in response to carbohydrate intake. In general, the instruction set which Insulin brings to the cell is to uptake and store nutrients from the bloodstream. This is necessary for life and health. Some of us - myself included - have a problem to solve.

Since it seems to be the case, for some people who have a dysregulated relationship with the effects of Carbohydrate intake and Insulin production/reception, a limitation on dietary carbohydrate intake can be of use. there are benefits that I experience while avoiding carbohydrate intake. Higher ambient energy levels, better focus throughout the day, and better performance while working out.

For those who have a more severe relationship with insulin, oftentimes insulin will be secreted in amounts large enough to simulate an emergency system, doing its best to evacuate the blood of sugars, and other nutrients, into tissues like adipose bone and muscle tissues.

The evacuation leads to a crash as the bloodstream becomes less and less nutrient populated. And, so, in order to avoid such peaks and valleys, one who has such a poor relationship with carbohydrates and insulin in such a cycle of overreaction, may benefit from avoiding carbohydrate intake.

I said all that to say this: if someone is avoiding carbohydrates especially nearing complete avoidance of carbohydrates, then their regulation of salts will tend towards shedding. And a low amount of sodium in the system will result in a general malaise, lower energy levels, lower performance, and lesser focus. Sodium, interestingly does not have a storage form. potassium, calcium, and magnesium have salt configurations, which are stored intracellularly, but Sodium is "stored" in serum, in the blood vessels. Sodium is one of the most important electrolytes, as its lower position on the table of elements dictates that it has the highest ionic energy potential due to the lower level valence shell at play. And, there can even be cases where the body will raid existing muscle cells to take out the potassium into the bloodstream to use as a crude substitute for the sodium that is missing. And with the ion pump sufficiently disturbed, one will often experience very severe muscle cramps.

So under the influence of a low carbohydrate diet, cutting salt as well makes bad things worse biochemically.

I have dietarily included carbohydrates or sparingly over the years, since learning about what a dysregulated relationship with carbohydrates and insulin means for me and the implications of such a diet, and I've become a carnivore since, and at this point in order to avoid slumps of having lesser, or insufficient, amounts of sodium present, I take in about two teaspoons of salt per day in seasoning my meat while cooking.

So, to summarize, if one is cutting carbohydrates, and then further cuts sodium, generally speaking, it's a negative proposition overall. There are differing achievable balance points to be found in the amounts depending upon the person's response to carbohydrates and insulin, but in general as one decreases carbohydrate intake to zero, their body will maximize the shedding of sodium from the bloodstream. And, as sodium goes to zero general well-being will decrease.

Ergo: the relationship between carbs and sodium.
Fewer carbs, more salt to compensate for shedding.
Fewer carbs, less salt will lead toward depletion.

Last edited:
Please note the high blood pressure reading was during the stress test...not at resting (and the OPs testing since then has shown a good resting heart rate and BP).

I'm only interested in the Dr./cardiologists opinion of what to do with this information.

The general advice of what to do for HBP (at rest) may not apply here.

I think this is what Steve is referring to. One can, as it always happens, interpret things we say in a different perspective than the person doing the communicating. In this instance, one can see this as advice to cut salt, and if one wants to go further, which always happens, he/she can conclude that you advising the OP to cut salt completely.

Over consumption of salt is a problem, yes, but does is not always the cause of hypertension. In my case, I'm an otherwise healthy as an ox, 40 y.o. with hypertension. Tried limiting salt, caffeine, etc, and I always sleep 6-8 hours. Through urine testing and ultrasound imaging, it is determined that I have benign over grown and over active cells in my adrenal glands. Too much epinephrine. fight or flight. My body is always in a state of fight apparently.

In my post, I'm hopeful that nothing in here can be taken as advise.

Firstly, I want to be clear that I appreciate you sharing your experience and what you have learned.

When I intend my post to be advice, I will use phrases like "I think you should...", "I suggest", "I recommend", etc. I'm just saying this to explain my posting style.

Thanks again, in good faith, for your thoughtful post and well articulated explanations.

Last edited:
First — you didn’t tell us why your doc ordered a stress test. Probably you had a symptom or your provider had a concern. This is significant in itself.
One I didn’t need to explain why.
It helps people who are trying to help you to know what you know about the thing you're asking about. No problem if you don't want to share the reason, but you might say that up front, IMO.

Just to add a personal anecdote to the subject of stress tests, I've asked to be given one and the doctor wouldn't do it. The explanation I was given was along the lines of, "If you needed a stress test, you'd have had trouble already because of how you train" or words to that effect.

-S-

Just to add a personal anecdote to the subject of stress tests, I've asked to be given one and the doctor wouldn't do it. The explanation I was given was along the lines of, "If you needed a stress test, you'd have had trouble already because of how you train" or words to that effect.

-S-
To add to Steve's comment, in general the medical world is moving away from stress tests for individuals with no apparent health conditions AND are asymptomatic (eg no angina, unreasonable breathlessness, irregular heart rate etc.) The utility of it as a diagnostic tool has come under questions and the ACSM risk profile notes that active individuals with no symptoms will not benefit from one.

https://www.acsm.org/docs/default-s...ary/acsmprescreening101.pdf?sfvrsn=bc703144_4 for the tool

Back
Top Bottom