all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Got a stress test done yesterday….

Wow that’s interesting. Yes my sleep is piss poor. Even when i get A solid 8-9 hours, my sleep disruption is awful. I take Magnesium at night before bed and sometimes i get Quality sleep. Most of the time i dont
A couple strongman competitions ago all the heavyweights and supers were discussing their cpap machines and how life changing they are for their health.
If you haven't had a sleep study, that is probably a great place to start. Everything is easier when you aren't dog tired and sleep deprived all the time.

A couple strongman competitions ago all the heavyweights and supers were discussing their cpap machines and how life changing they are for their health.
If you haven't had a sleep study, that is probably a great place to start. Everything is easier when you aren't dog tired and sleep deprived all the time.
Yep I’ve used a CPAP since 2017

Mr. T

I recommend that you purchase a blood pressure monitor for home use.
Of coarse you will need one with a large cuff.
————————————————————————
The American Heart Association recommends that people with high blood pressure use a validated automatic, cuff-style, upper arm monitor, since readings from wrist or finger monitors tend to be less reliable.
————————————————————————
I bought A good one. This morning right upon waking it was 129/68. Heart rate 58.

Hey Anna. So i have Pre hypertension at baseline. Meaning if i am Mid day walking around then sit down for 10 min and check it it will be 140/85 (depending) sometimes 150/85.

Now in the morning when i wake Up it’s like 129/68.

But based on what the cardiologist said , he said I’m not at risk for any ischemia. Which is good. But said to keep exercising just don’t over exert. Kinda vague honestly lol
Sounds like a solid assessment, and it is important to address. This article is good info... I love this source for lifting and medical issues. A Basic Guide to Blood Pressure: Part I | Barbell Medicine

There is also a part 2, and i think they have a podcast on it too. I attended their health and performance seminar and they had a whole lecture in blood pressure. I'll check my notes tomorrow and see if I see anything helpful.

I have a physically demanding job(commercial lobster fisherman in Maine) although I’m only working a few days a week at the moment. I only get about 6 hours of sleep. Have you tried a OLAD workout? One lift a day 5 days a week. I’m following the one from Geoff Neuperts kb express. I am in the 5th week of the 12 week program, and I seem to recover from this program.

A few years ago I got my BP read at a health fair, then immediately got lectured by the nurse who took the reading. I forgot what the diastolic score was but the systolic was in the mid 120s, which is elevated.

Then I realized that's why my aunt who had hypertension was always eating bananas - somebody told her the potassium was good for managing BP. Unfortunately she ignored repeated advice, pleading, etc. to cut her salt intake, which resulted in a shorter lifespan.

So cutting salt was one of the first things I did to start lowering BP. Really, it's the sodium that needed to be cut.

I also started training for hypertrophy. Unlike Brandon I'm a smaller person so for me adding muscle mass has been shown to lower BP.

A few years ago I got my BP read at a health fair, then immediately got lectured by the nurse who took the reading. I forgot what the diastolic score was but the systolic was in the mid 120s, which is elevated.

Then I realized that's why my aunt who had hypertension was always eating bananas - somebody told her the potassium was good for managing BP. Unfortunately she ignored repeated advice, pleading, etc. to cut her salt intake, which resulted in a shorter lifespan.

So cutting salt was one of the first things I did to start lowering BP. Really, it's the sodium that needed to be cut.

I also started training for hypertrophy. Unlike Brandon I'm a smaller person so for me adding muscle mass has been shown to lower BP.
What makes cutting salt so tough is my body does not do well with carbs. I lose weight effortlessly. More on the ketogenic style diet.

What makes cutting salt so tough is my body does not do well with carbs. I lose weight effortlessly. More on the ketogenic style diet.

I'm not getting the relationship between carbs and salt for you, sorry.

I cut my salt intake mostly by just not using salt to season my veggies, or meats if I cook them myself. I do take a cheat day sometimes to treat myself to sushi - the salt in this case is in the soy sauce.

I will respectfully disagree with this advice.

If - a big "if" - one eats mostly at home and fresh, healthy things - one often doesn't get _enough_ salt. That's my case, and we keep a small open dish of sea salt out in our kitchen so anyone can grab a pinch when they feel the need.

If - a big "if" - one eats a lot of prepared foods at home or eats out a lot, then it's certainly possible to get more salt than you need.

It's easy to understand why foods prepared in advance have more salt - we see it when we eat leftovers at home. Sometimes, they just need to be salted again because they've lost some of their flavor.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

If - a big "if" - one eats mostly at home and fresh, healthy things - one often doesn't get _enough_ salt. That's my case, and we keep a small open dish of sea salt out in our kitchen so anyone can grab a pinch when they feel the need.

If - a big "if" - one eats a lot of prepared foods at home or eats out a lot, then it's certainly possible to get more salt than you need.

It's easy to understand why foods prepared in advance have more salt - we see it when we eat leftovers at home. Sometimes, they just need to be salted again because they've lost some of their flavor.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-
Agreed. The Salt Fix by James DiNicolantonio is a good read. I keep a bag or two of Celtic Sea Salt and some Maldon's around at all times.
Soon the low temp in my area will be around 90 F, so I will take my salt intake up even more to accommodate the 6-8 quarts of water I'll be drinking on the regular. And like you said YMMV.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

Easy there, Steve, I was not giving advice.

All I did was share what happened to me and what I did about it.

This is what CDC posted about sodium, salt and blood pressure

High BP (Blood Pressure) is a concern of the OP. I have not heard of "too little salt" being a cause of high BP.

Last edited:
Really, it's the sodium that needed to be cut.
I did not post advice, nor did I post an opinion. Therefore, there is nothing to disagree with.

I think this is what Steve is referring to. One can, as it always happens, interpret things we say in a different perspective than the person doing the communicating. In this instance, one can see this as advice to cut salt, and if one wants to go further, which always happens, he/she can conclude that you advising the OP to cut salt completely.

Over consumption of salt is a problem, yes, but does is not always the cause of hypertension. In my case, I'm an otherwise healthy as an ox, 40 y.o. with hypertension. Tried limiting salt, caffeine, etc, and I always sleep 6-8 hours. Through urine testing and ultrasound imaging, it is determined that I have benign over grown and over active cells in my adrenal glands. Too much epinephrine. fight or flight. My body is always in a state of fight apparently.

In my post, I'm hopeful that nothing in here can be taken as advise.

Back
Top Bottom