all posts post new thread

How many diamond pushups before one arm pushup progressions?

I'll be the odd bird and think outside the box.

I've personally seen many powerlifters be able to do good one arm push-ups on their first try, and even the big and fat ones. And their bench numbers aren't that great, I think 300-400lbs in general. I suppose something else must come into play. Pavel was always big into powerlifting, and I suppose this could be one example why.
Not to mention strongmen doing human flag. Rauno has 1000+lbs deadlift.

About 10-15 I guess? I can did an all out but strict 10 reps pull up before I can cheat one arm pull up (last 3/4 ROM) but not from fully hang.
That would be VERY unusual. Most people will struggle with a half one arm pull up (from 90°) even after being able to do 25 reps with two hands, or 10 reps with an extra 25% of bodyweight strapped to them. And with the one arm pull-up, it's even more extreme than with the one arm push-up, where you can off-load more tension to other muscles, while that is very limited in the one arm pull-up. It would be similar to being able to do a pistol after being able to do only 10 reps in the full squat. 10 reps typically means 80-90% of 1 RM, I've never heard about a case where it was 50-60%. Are you by any chance referring to a one hand pull up (free hand holding the wrist)?

That would be VERY unusual. Most people will struggle with a half one arm pull up (from 90°) even after being able to do 25 reps with two hands, or 10 reps with an extra 25% of bodyweight strapped to them. And with the one arm pull-up, it's even more extreme than with the one arm push-up, where you can off-load more tension to other muscles, while that is very limited in the one arm pull-up. It would be similar to being able to do a pistol after being able to do only 10 reps in the full squat. 10 reps typically means 80-90% of 1 RM, I've never heard about a case where it was 50-60%. Are you by any chance referring to a one hand pull up (free hand holding the wrist)?

I have to start at the position where I have a best leverage, not from the start

I have to start at the position where I have a best leverage, not from the start

Still, that is HIGHLY unsual! I think that is the lowest number of pull-ups I ever heard anybody having before even beginning to work on a OACH, let alone be close to getting it. Case in point, I was able to do 50 reps in the normal pull-up and get one rep with an extra 65 kg (about 85% of my bodyweight) strapped to me, and did several months of specific training before I was able to do what you did there. Needless to say, it took me over a decade to get to that point. Now granted, it was never my main focus, and I had a number of non-related elbow injuries hampering my process in the one-arm pull-up, but still.
So either you have an extreme amount of fast twitch muscle, or you were undercutting your performance in the regular pull-up somehow (extremely slow execution or something).

either you have an extreme amount of fast twitch muscle, or you were undercutting your performance in the regular pull-up somehow (extremely slow execution or something
I just bored to death doing higher rep than 5...even with swing.

About 3/4 oac...I saw many people did it in my training group so for me it's normal. Which probably explain why I can do that.

During that time, I did ROP with 20 and 25 kg bell. I was curious about a guy in the book who did one arm press and was able to one arm chins. So I tried

Back
Top Bottom