all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hyperextending elbow in TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TimmyCK

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello everyone! I've seen it mentioned in Pavel's books many times that you should keep your elbow locked during the TGU, but what about people with hyperextendable elbows? Should they tense their biceps and triceps at the same time to keep the elbow neutral or fully lock out? Loading a hyperextended elbow seems like a bad idea to me.

I also vaguely recall one of Pavel's books (maybe PTTP?) mentioning that hypermobile elbows can and should be fixed. Is there a "quick and easy" way to do this or would that be the realm of an experienced physiotherapist?

Thanks in advance!

Great question, and I am interested in answers, too.

I vaguely remember some people actually arguing that with slightly hyperextended elbows you can put up more weight. The key seems to be if it feels painful or not. Personally, I prefer the feeling from a stacked elbow - but a locked out and hyperextended position is more stable and therefore probably safer. Looking forward to the discussion.

Fabio's "statue of liberty" tip from a few months ago helps tremendously with this.

-S-

Thanks for the tips everyone! I just noticed someone else asked the same question a few weeks ago; apologies for not checking more thoroughly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom