all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "I Achieved S & S Simple! Here's My Story"

Wuhu - finally nailed the Simple workout this Monday!

The 'sticking point' for me was swings and progress has been painfully slow. (Get-ups are easier for me, and I'm working with the 48 there, so 32 is 'de-load' for me). Then I changed gym a few weeks back from a big Chain-type gym to a small privately owned facility, filled with good, serious and friendly people... and the KB-sports type bells. This somehow shifted... something, and in two weeks I went from doing my 100 reps with half 24 and half 32, to completing the simple and doing 32's with plenty of power and drive (and no skin-damage in my hands). I even did the routine in just a little over 13mins, so I kindda blew past the goal post.

Swinging the 32 now feels easy and 'right'. I'm even at a point where I think I could swing the 40 with relatively good power and start working on completing the routine with 40's, so this is big for me.

Thanks a bunch to everyone in here for the community, guidance and knowledge. Cheers!
I'm definitely jealous if you can swing the 40 one handed for 10 reps. I can't do that yet. I can do the TGUs with the 40 though I can't yet with the 48.

Awesome! I'm on the journey right now and it's encouraging to hear from those who got there from all sorts of starting points.

Awesome topic!

I started the Simple and Sinister program last year. It was a great program to do during ski season. We ski each weekend and it's nice to have a training program that leaves something in the tank for your 'job, duty or sport.' (as Pavel would say). Found it worked best to do S&S Mon-Thu, take Fri off, ski Sat & sometimes Sun. If I had anything left over on Sat, I'd do some light get-ups (practice).

Results were impressive. Got / stayed strong. Felt / looked great. Most importantly, I could finally ski 3 days in a row (w/ bumps even) and not have a sore back. This is a first for me.

As the weather shifted, my focus shifted to getting ready for hunting season, backcountry / high altitude hunting specifically. Incorporated 2-3 days / week of S&S into that program (along w/ some hiking and other activities). So impressed how 'swings and get-ups' helped w/ hiking / hunting.

Now, incorporating 3 days of 'swings / get-ups' each week into my 'pre-season' ski strength and conditioning program (along w/ hiking / other activities). Recently achieved the 'simple goal'.

Going to spend the next 4 weeks doing KB C&P and swings (similar to ROP). Just needed a little break from get-ups.

In January, as ski season begins...again, I'll be doing another 3+ month session of S&S. Can't wait. Love the program. Works great on it's own. Works great w/ other things too. Just wish I had this program while I was still in the Navy!
Sounds like the WTH factor kicked in! Amazing, right?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
- Lao Tzu

The first step in my S&S journey was January 3rd, 2016. A few days later on January 12th, 2017 I hit Simple. What a journey it was.

Let's start by winding the clock back to December 2015. One day at work I looked around and had an epiphany. Everyone there was either obese or skinny fat. I had put on too much body fat in pursuit of a big bench, and while I was strong, I knew I was on the same path as everyone else.

Around this time, I discovered Tim Ferris' podcast with Pavel. As a result, I stumbled onto Simple & Sinister. I knew I had to start walking a different Path. I read S&S, bought a couple of kettlebells, and took a hiatus from powerlifting. Because I was making such a big change, I figured why not just change everything? So I started training S&S before breakfast and work, and implemented Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat.

Eat Stop Eat is a method of intermittent fasting where you do not consume calories for 24 hours twice a week.

S&S was enlightening. Before S&S, anything over 3 reps I considered cardio; stretching was an after thought if I did it at all. Quickly I became aware of how poorly my body moved when I tried to do a single TGU with a smelly weightlifting shoe. A few sets of 10 reps of swings was inhumane torture.

I stuck with the programs, ramped it up slowly over time and reaped gains. Fasting helped me develop discipline in eating. I knew S&S was fundamentally changing my body when one day while washing my hands at the sink I was aware that my hips were not underneath of me. I no longer woke up in the middle of the night with aching shoulders. I was losing body weight quickly.

On April 28th, 2016 I hit the time goals with the 24k. At this point, I had lost 15 pounds. On June 13th my 32k bell was delivered. This is where I started to make real progress. I had thought my form to be quite good, but the 32k showed me I was slacking in many areas. Heavy weight is instructive!

In June 2016, my waist was down to about 36", and body weight was down 25 pounds. When I started using the 32k my waistline shrank quickly while body weight loss slowed. There is something special about using the heavier weights for S&S.

Here the transformation became obvious. To illustrate the point, a story:

I ran into some coworkers I had not seen in 6 months or so, but worked with for years in the past. Folks who know me very well. I walked up, started talking to them like an old friend, and they looked at me like a stranger...they didn't recognize me! "The Nail, is that you? I didn't recognize you! You looked fine before but you look GREAT now!"

32.5" waist/169.2 pounds on November 9th was my lowest body weight. I was doing 60% of my sets with the 32k, and my body weight began to climb while my waist size went down. Sometime after this milestone, I added protein powder and creatine.

32" waist/171.4 bodyweight was a big milestone I hit on December 28th. This was also the first day I hit all training sets with the 32k! I was incredibly happy.

On January 12th, 2017 weighing 175 with a 32" waist, I hit Simple.

Of note: I kept up my conditioning by regularly hitting compressed rest periods on 'off-days' with lighter weights. This is why I was able to hit Simple 16 days after first getting all sets with the 32k.

Thank you to all the folks who have answered my forum questions along the way. Special thanks to @Anna C whose good advices have been priceless on my S&S journey.

Congrats @The Nail !!!

Of note: I kept up my conditioning by regularly hitting compressed rest periods on 'off-days' with lighter weights. This is why I was able to hit Simple 16 days after first getting all sets with the 32k.
Could you elaborate on that please? Reading this I thought of regulary hitting 10x10 swings in <5min with the 24 or 28 while you were working with the 32. Is that right or what does "compressed rest periods with lighter weights" mean.

@Kettlebelephant,

I kept up my conditioning by regularly hitting compressed rest periods on 'off-days' with lighter weights.
Compressed compared to the main day, done with a lighter weight to still be "consistently moderate".

For example:
This Monday, my 32k one hand swing training rest period was 1:45 for swings. When the timer went off at 1:45, I did a set.
Tuesday's 'off-day' 24k two hand shadow swing rest periods was 1:00. When the timer went off at 1:00, I did a set.

I've never posted here so figured I would. I finally bought a 32kg last year or the year before. Hit simple first time I used it.
A pretty random training history outside of military PT. For a few years I did bodybuilding magazine style workouts during my military time. Did a lot of running and cycling for a few years at the end and into civilian life.

Then I got into kettlebells. Started with a 16 which didn't last long and felt pretty light so I bought a 24. I did circuits with the 24 and eventually double 24s for a couple years just adding volume and reducing rest. Eventually I discovered barbell lifting and really enjoyed it for a couple years working on the powerlifts.

Then, after moving and not having an easily accessible barbell, I went back to the kettlebell and found S&S. The 24 was pretty easy so I started adding volume and ended up doing the 10,000 swing program using only swings and TGUs. That volume I believe is what made Simple just that when I eventually invested in the 32kg. After that many years of moving weights in general I would hope it would be.

I plan to keep adding volume with the 32 until I feel it's actually holding me back (mostly because the cost is equivalent to a fun night or two out with the family). Also, I can still find ways to benefit from the 16 and 24 so I don't see a 40 as a necessary investment.

I am a 49-year-old athlete. I train and compete in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (purple belt) and I have a full gym in my garage. My strength and conditioning experience is largely with a barbell, but I decided to do something different. I have dabbled in kettle bells and own several, so.......

On November 29, 2016 I set a goal for myself. I decided that I would accomplish the "Simple" standard.

I started by swinging a 24kg bell and doing the TGU with a 20kg bell. It wasn't long I had to order the 28 and 32kg bells. I trained thirty separate kettlebell sessions between then and today, and got in walking and Jiu Jitsu classes as well.

I reached the 100/10 standard first with a 24 kg bell, then with a 28 kg bell. I got hurt a couple of weeks ago in BJJ class and had to shut down any training besides walking for about two weeks, so I walked.

Today, with a 32kg bell I was able to do 100 one hand swings in 4:33 and then complete the TGU all within 12:30 of starting the swings.

I am objectively, demonstrably stronger and better conditioned than I was less than sixty days ago.

I report all this not to pay myself on the back, but to demonstrate that it can be done, the key is to be committed and consistent.

Stick with the plan, it works if you work it.

@gorillainagi nice work!

Under 5:00 on the swings and under 8:00 on those TGUs...that's haulin! Sounds like having your strength-endurance built up from competitive Jiu-Jitsu before starting S&S really cut the time to hit Simple.

Would you say Jiu-Jitsu and S&S work similar energy systems? I keep playing with the idea of taking up a fighting art of some sort.

@gorillainagi nice work!

Under 5:00 on the swings and under 8:00 on those TGUs...that's haulin! Sounds like having your strength-endurance built up from competitive Jiu-Jitsu before starting S&S really cut the time to hit Simple.

Would you say Jiu-Jitsu and S&S work similar energy systems? I keep playing with the idea of taking up a fighting art of some sort.

Yes, Jiu Jitsu and kettle bells are symbiotic, one improves the other.

I have been practicing Simple and Sinister since early November and working with kettlebell's for about 18 months. My main reason for switching to the S&S programming was that I was getting all over the place with my practice. At 40 years old and 240ish, I know I can still get stronger and leaner.

I completed a timed Simple for the first time mid December and thought I was going to die (not really), but I was whooped. Since then I have incorporated the 48KG bell into my practices, slowly progressing to this as my training weight for practice. I did Simple again for time two weeks ago in 11:25. This photo to the left was me about 30 seconds after completing the last TGU. I felt like I had more in the tank for sure.

Currently, I am working toward Sinister. Grip on the one hand swings has been my biggest challenge. I have a few practices with 5+5 on the TGU's under my belt, but increasing my grip strength and keeping my heart rate in check will be my next challenge as I progress.

If you've achieved the Simple goal from Pavel's, "Kettlebell: Simple & Sinister," we loved to hear about it! We'll keep this thread visible near the top of the Kettlebell forum.

Please tell us a little about yourself, when you started and when you achieved Simple - and whatever else you like because this is your story in your words.

-S-
I'm 53, 6'3" and 235 lbs. I started S&S and kettlebells March of 2016. I really struggled with the TGU at 16 Kg. I had to purchase a 25 lb KB and worked on my form. I have Pavel's TRX and KB DVD, so I focused on my form in both TGU and swings from his instructional sections. I did S&S everyday. It's a great workout taking only 30 minutes including the halo, goblet squats and bridges for warm up. I started with a 55 kg and double arm swings. After about a month I was comfortable with single arm swings and 16 Kg TGU. I worked in double and single arm swings as my ability increased. After 2 months I started using a 32 kg for swings. I would do a few sets of 32 kg and 55 lb and gradually built up to all 32 kg swings. After about 4 months I started incorporating the 32 kg in my TGU. I would do one or two reps with the 32 and then finish the set with 16 kg. After 6 months I only use the 32 kg for swings and TGU. Although I haven't lost weight, I have seen improvements in my strength. I increased my pull ups from struggling to do five reps to easily doing 10 reps, without doing any specific pull up training. My 46 kg KB arrived today, so I am anxious to take the next step.

If you've achieved the Simple goal from Pavel's, "Kettlebell: Simple & Sinister," we loved to hear about it! We'll keep this thread visible near the top of the Kettlebell forum.

Please tell us a little about yourself, when you started and when you achieved Simple - and whatever else you like because this is your story in your words.

The short version: In exactly ten weeks I achieved Simple with a time of 4:49 for swings and TGU 7:24, not including a one minute break between exercises.

The long version:
I am a 49 year old American expat living in Japan who first became acquainted with kettlebells after breaking two posterior ribs getting pinned against the reef while surfing. I was looking for something to strengthen the back muscles as I was still feeling the occasional uncomfortable “pop” or “slip” and started in May 2014 (16kg) with two handed swings. By summer I added simple snatches, windmills and other moves. I watched videos and bought Pavel's books, I was getting into it. Maybe too much.

Against all common sense I stretched neither before nor after training and although I followed a high rep cardio based program while cutting all carbs, going semi-vegetarian. I ignored rest days, too busy flirting with the “high”.

Well age and stress can break down the best of us and nine months later (March 2015) I birthed a 70% right pectoral tear complete with the telltale divot. I went to several doctors, who advised against surgery due to age. Just live with it, but don’t plan on doing anything too strenuous, they said. Impossible. I went into deep depression.

Finally I met a judo-therapist who set me on a yearlong rehabilitation plan of electro-stimulation, taping and deep massage. I went from working with balloons to a 4kg. Every six weeks or so he would increase the weight 4kg-8kg-12kg. I was back to 16kgs within a year of rehabilitation and bought a 24kg last June, completing the 10,000 swing challenge in early August with it. (best time 19:51 with no other exercises in-between).

After this, I did the Serious Endurance Plan (A+A) with swings on the minute while concurrently completing the 500 TGU challenge, with an eye on Simple. I bought my 32Kg as a birthday present excuse in September 2016, worked out for it a bit before promptly pulling a lat and upper back muscle. (Bad TGU form) Back to Judo therapy rehab for six more weeks.

During the down time I studied Simple and Sinister daily. I was ready. Warm-up and cool down. The week prior to Thanksgiving 24kg for swings and 16kg for TGUs. Swallow the pride, gotta start somewhere, right?

I used the “swings on the minute” approach throughout my training, timing myself once a week after adding heavier sets. In three weeks I was back to all 24kg, and attempted my first 32kg swing. After the year-end holidays I became more committed, determined to make progress. I trained six days a week, yet never felt exhausted nor used excuses. I train outside exclusively, due to living in the extreme Japanese countryside, and at times the temperature dipped in the 30s(F). That iron chilled me to the elbow, but I persevered.

I can honestly say that on the day I accomplished Simple, I cried tears of joy, relief at the conclusion of a voyage that has spanned nearly two years. Simple has given me a quiet strength I utilize daily in my teaching job and how I interact with people. My WTH effect has been a willingess to say “yes” to things I would normally dismiss, requests from my children, community events, helping others, just don’t seem to be such a pain in the butt anymore. But that only started when I was using the 32Kg for all swings and TGUs. What the hell?

I have lurked on this site for a long time, but promised myself I wouldn’t post until I reached Simple. I can proudly say that yes, I have done it, and no one can take that away from me. No matter what stage of the journey we are on, I believe that by following S&S to a T, we will achieve our goals.

My journey is far from over, I see it as a new beginning. I said I would never contemplate buying a 40kg, but who knows, once that 32 starts feeling a little too easy... but that is a story for another day.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, you all have been more help than you can imagine.

Good work man. Coming back from an bad injury takes a lot of patience and hard work. I've saw the frustration get the better of a lot of people myself included so well done.

Good work man. Coming back from an bad injury takes a lot of patience and hard work. I've saw the frustration get the better of a lot of people myself included so well done.
I did a lot of rollerblading during that time. I also came to the conclusion that injuries give us a chance to examine our past mistakes. Since then I have been very careful about warming up and stretching. Also wearing post-workout compression shirts helped (at least mentally). It also enabled me to swallow my pride, resist the urge to "modify"and follow these programs step by step. Thanks for the kind words!

First off I want to THANK YOU to everyone that helped me and encouraged me along the way on this journey! You all were a part of this one way or another.... I took something from every one of you and your journal entries everyday more than you know!

I started Simple and Sinister in the middle of the summer of 2016 after completing many other programs from Geoff Nueport but I felt I had some "gaps in my strength" and I was looking to fill them in.

I took the brakes off today and went for it... Never in million years did I think I was going to achieve "Simple" this morning, I thought I was going to come in somewhere around 6-7 minute window for swings and hit the time standard for get-ups to be honest. However, as I was going through the swings I was very surprised that I was recovering so quickly between sets of swings! Don’t get me wrong... I WAS PUSHING PRETTY HARD and probably rushed it a bit but never the less I still passed!!!! Now even though I passed the time standard this morning in my mind I don't think I "OWNED IT... REALLY OWNED IT" I'm going to keep working and retest at the end of this month and consider myself "owning it" if I pass the time standard at the end of this month.

It was a hell of journey and I learned SO MUCH about myself along the way, it really was a hell of a ride (fun one for that matter)! Simple and Sinister is really one hell of a program that pays dividends along the way and hopefully long after! I don't have the words to describe (or know how to type them) so that you understand how happy I am and proud of the work I put in to achieve this. I had ups and downs along the way but if you keep "the goal the goal" and keep working and digging you really can achieve anything! This journey was very humbling also to be honest as well.... I remember when I bought the 32kg bell and brought it down to my basement thinking "there is now way I will swing this thing in under 5 minutes" and I did it.... I don't want to sound like I figured out the world’s problems or that I have all the answers now but I'm very proud of this accomplishment. there are many stronger than me on this forum and I don't want to take anything away from them because I passed "Simple" If I can do this than really anyone can, you just have to work for it and really want it!

I PASSED!!! now to buy bigger bells.. onward and upward! Keep digging, keep learning.

Thanks for reading and helping again everyone!
C:\Users\rickf\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

Back
Top Bottom