all posts post new thread

Bodyweight "Iron Wolf, Zero Gravity and Burpees/Bodyweight Training"

Hello @strongandconditioned

Yes, thanks for your insight !

As a boxer, I am used to run while using nasal breathing to get my aerobic conditioning done. However, do you think it could be possible to use high repetition burpees to get it done as well ? Obviously, staying in the aerobic zone would imply to pace them carefully. What I like about such a move is that we can tailor them as we want (using a lunge for instance, to get some unilateral / balance work).

I am also very interested in the fact that it can also be a very effective strategy to get a relatively low RHR. Mine is about 50 using running.

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, thanks for your insight !

As a boxer, I am used to run while using nasal breathing to get my aerobic conditioning done. However, do you think it could be possible to use high repetition burpees to get it done as well ? Obviously, staying in the aerobic zone would imply to pace them carefully. What I like about such a move is that we can tailor them as we want (using a lunge for instance, to get some unilateral / balance work).

I am also very interested in the fact that it can also be a very effective strategy to get a relatively low RHR. Mine is about 50 using running.

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Apologies for the late reply Pet

You can definitely use high rep burpees to build an aerobic base with the use of a HR monitor and some guile

A good routine is 1 or 2 pump burpees with matching squat chasers. You can even combine the squats with a lunge as you mentioned.

Ultimately your level of burpee conditioning will dictate how rapidly your HR goes into the designated training zone.

This won’t improve your running obviously however it’s a great way to build that capacity when your options are limited or you want to try something different

To get a balance between the anti extension aspect of the push ups you do with the burpees, do you also train your core with a flexion motion (crunches for instance, etc...) ? If so, usually, what's a type of core routine ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

This gives an overview on a variety of workouts, he has definetly started a movement and become particularly popular since the lockdowns which saw a lot of people adopting homeworkouts. A lot of other channels have sprung up with similar content. Really feel this training will go more mainstream amongst the more experienced gymers in the future as people workout the true value of this kind of training.

Is there anyone here who has done this style of training for some time while practicing a sport, especially a real-time action sport? What types of benefits you feel the training has provided for your sport?

Hello,

Is there anyone here who has done this style of training for some time while practicing a sport, especially a real-time action sport? What types of benefits you feel the training has provided for your sport?
For a while I did something like this:
30 minutes AMRAP of 10 burpees + 5 pull ups.

Back then, I was not running but already boxing. My conditioning was the same than it is today. However, I took me a few sessions (maybe 2 or 3 weeks) to make my shoulders used to both the routine and boxing. Basically, they were tired before the end of the boxing session. I was also able to ruck as I do today for instance.

At the time, I was doing HS burpees. If I were to do it again, I'd do a mix of all possible variations instead of restricting to just HS.

It will not replace the "drill" of running (meaning running technique), but from a cardio vascular standpoint, it will work just as fine. Heart and lungs do not know if you run or do burpees. If you do burpee with nasal breathing, you'll likely stay in the aerobic zone, the same you'd do with running. You could get a "HR peak" here and there doing a set of HS burpee in the midst of prison burpees for example.

Plus, high rep burpee tend to work well with inmates. Therefore if it works for them, it may work for me xD

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @Training for Life

I'd also like to add that volume matters here, I think.

Indeed, when I did this, I did more than 100 a day. IronWolf & others also do "high reps". I guess it works thanks too both number of repetitions per se and training duration (long enough at the right pace to create aerobic adaptation).

I remember a podcast where Joe De Cena (founder of Spartan Race) once trained for a race using only high rep burpees (600 a day) and did pretty well (meaning finish without too much trouble). This kind of event implies running, lifting / carrying, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

To get a balance between the anti extension aspect of the push ups you do with the burpees, do you also train your core with a flexion motion (crunches for instance, etc...) ? If so, usually, what's a type of core routine ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I usually do some crunches, 4 count flutter kicks or alternating v ups. Nothing flashy.

If it’s in the gym then decline sit ups or banded standing crunches

Hello,

Here is a 'variation' of the regular 6ct or NS. Basically, there's a toe touch before actually doing the rep so one gets a hinge motion (instead of a squat motion)

This guy performs high repetition training, very 'prison style ' .

Assuming his website,he credits this kind of training for having a 45bpm RHR. I guess he does them in the aerobic zone though

Kind regards,

Pet'

Back
Top Bottom