all posts post new thread

Bodyweight "Iron Wolf, Zero Gravity and Burpees/Bodyweight Training"

Beginner's question, forgive me if it's off-topic!

How do you all go about setting up your workout timings?

Eg imagine you're going for 150 Burpees in 25 minutes and you want to break it up into 10 sets of 15, with a rest between each set.

I've been using a spreadsheet to calculate timings. For the example workout I gave, in each set I'd do 15 Burpees at a rate of 1 every 8 seconds. I'd do 10 sets in total with 33 seconds rest between each one. Total duration is 24 minutes and 57 seconds, which is close enough!

Then it's easy to follow this workout plan with a timer.

I'm making a mobile app for myself to do it because spreadsheets are clunky on mobile.

Curious if anyone has already got a simple solution or, on the other hand, might want to test my app if & when I have a working version!

Hello @strongandconditioned

Assuming the duration and pace of your burpee routines, what's your RHR (roughly) ?

If you'd have to pick up let say 2 or 3 types of burpees, what would they be (and why) ?

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'

If I’m going strong style, my HR will rarely exceed 155 and that probably when I have about 250-300 under the belt.

If I’m going 1 pump, then I’ll breach the 155 mark and probably max out around 160-165

3 burpees?

Strong style 6 count
Strong style 8 count
Navy Seal

I was quite dogmatic about burpees however I’m slowly coming round to the idea that anything above 3 pumps starts to blur the lines of being an actual burpee

Do
Beginner's question, forgive me if it's off-topic!

How do you all go about setting up your workout timings?

Eg imagine you're going for 150 Burpees in 25 minutes and you want to break it up into 10 sets of 15, with a rest between each set.

I've been using a spreadsheet to calculate timings. For the example workout I gave, in each set I'd do 15 Burpees at a rate of 1 every 8 seconds. I'd do 10 sets in total with 33 seconds rest between each one. Total duration is 24 minutes and 57 seconds, which is close enough!

Then it's easy to follow this workout plan with a timer.

I'm making a mobile app for myself to do it because spreadsheets are clunky on mobile.

Curious if anyone has already got a simple solution or, on the other hand, might want to test my app if & when I have a working version!
Ditch the spreadsheets for now

You need to have the sights of 100 unbroken in your sights. Your current strategy will get you there, especially if you emphasise the strictness of your 6 counts. It’s fairly easy once you’ve built up the mental and physical durability which can be built rather swiftly

I’m more than happy to test your app. You could be on to something with that

I recently saw your video about body transformation, when you combined BB split (upper / lower) and burpees. For those, you kept sessions short and more intense than usual.

Did it have an impact on your conditioning and strength ? Would it have been possible to get roughly the same results using only burpees ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I recently saw your video about body transformation, when you combined BB split (upper / lower) and burpees. For those, you kept sessions short and more intense than usual.

Did it have an impact on your conditioning and strength ? Would it have been possible to get roughly the same results using only burpees ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I don’t think it would have been possible to get the same results physique wise.

The only muscles that have experienced hypertrophy through the higher pump burpees have obviously been the chest and shoulders mostly and funnily enough, the traps. I’m convinced navy seals and kickouts hit the traps!

Kind regards,

Pet'
Pet,
Is there a written description of Lee's upper/lower workout anywhere?

This is one Art's most recent videos, it is not as high in volume as some of his other challenges, still pretty intense all the same.

Hello,

Here's a Max Edwards' typical day of eating. As he mentions, he is not a nutrionist or whatever and just shares what works for him:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi,
I am relaunching this post.
The BDT concept is interesting, but I have the impression that this form of training risks leading to muscular imbalance and all the related joint and tendon problems. Indeed, in this training routine of 4x20 minutes per week, there is never the slightest specific work for the back. What do you think ?

Hello @JBJB

Before releasing the BDT concept, M. Edwards ran it for a while. He has noticed that performing dead hang pull ups (1 set of 10) was enough as far as push pull is concerned. Pull ups are great for upper back

For the back, that's a little bit more tricky:
If one considers the Navy Seal: when you bring your leg to your elbow to perform this kind of "moutain climber", you work on the front part of the core and also the obliques. Doing a push up between each knee to elbow will work on the lower back, assuming one engages properly. One has to think the push up as a moving plank.

When we does a 6ct (NS also by the way), one perform this "crunch" motion when the legs are kicked in (flexion). Lower back is engaged in extension during the push ups.

When one performs a burpee, several options are possible:
Performing them as a "squat" or as "hinge". In both cases, you'll get "back work" via anti extension. Choice may by dictated by mobility and goal.

He is been running the routine for more than 3 years now and does not seem to suffer from imbalances.

Hope that helps,

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi,
I am relaunching this post.
The BDT concept is interesting, but I have the impression that this form of training risks leading to muscular imbalance and all the related joint and tendon problems. Indeed, in this training routine of 4x20 minutes per week, there is never the slightest specific work for the back. What do you think ?

You have to put it into context.

Max created the program because he was time stretched with regards to fitting in workouts. He picked an approach which is high impact and will get you into good condition.

In saying that, I agree that it lacks balance. 10 dead hang pull ups a day is going to eventually become stagnant. The back can handle a ton of volume.

I personally feel BDT would be better suited when performed in conjunction with other training modalities however I understand that some people don’t have the time therefore BDT is an accessible method in that respect.

I'm glad someone bumped a burpee post because ever since I read AXE I've been thinking about the amazing results people report from high volume burpees and the way they're performed slowly, but steadily in these long videos. Am I crazy in thinking the slow pace of burpees is similar to AXE setting a pace by backing off for 5-10 seconds between exertions?

f
I personally feel BDT would be better suited when performed in conjunction with other training modalities however I understand that some people don’t have the time therefore BDT is an accessible method in that respect.
Hi,

Could you tell me more about "conjunction with other training modalities" ?
I'm very interesting with your point of view.
Thanks in advance.

f

Hi,

Could you tell me more about "conjunction with other training modalities" ?
I'm very interesting with your point of view.
Thanks in advance.

The only way I can answer this is by explaining how I implement burpee training into my regime as I don’t do BDT.

For example, I will do 3 weight based sessions (M-W-F) where I usually only perform 3 compound lifts(PPL) for 3 sets and 2 isolation lifts for 2 sets.

I will also perform 3 burpee/high rep bodyweight sessions on the other days (T-T-S). I go by feel on these sessions

1 day may be 100 rocking chair 1 pumps. Another may be 100 6 count burpees. As I work in a gym I try to fit in some chin up/pull up work when I have some downtime.

If i was going to implement BDT, I would probably drop the lifting sessions down to 2 a week and perform BDT on the days where you don’t lift. I would probably add an extra pull exercise on my lifting days in order to balance out the push volume that comes with BDT.

Recovery also needs to be at the front of your mind. Once you start hitting the higher levels of BDT, your body is going to take a beating, especially if you’re in your 40s or over IMO. A 20 minute burpee session performed at a blistering pace really does take it out of you

Hello,

+1 to the pace and recovery, as mentioned by @strongandconditioned

BDT is divided into levels which is a good thing as it gives both a "baseline" and goal. However, going all out at each sessions, so 4x a week seems a little hard to maintain on the long haul, IMHO.

In general, I push harder (or hard, depending on how I feel) only twice a week, usually on monday and tuesday. The two other sessions are more a "maintenance". For instance, if your peak is 270 burpees in 20 minutes, maybe maintenance will be at 250.

Assuming a 6x a week burpee training, while using BDT, it could be possible to add something easy on wednesday and saturday, without chasing reps, and using other variations (8ct bodybuilders, rocking chair, etc...).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Back
Top Bottom