all posts post new thread

Bodyweight "Iron Wolf, Zero Gravity and Burpees/Bodyweight Training"

@pet' The toe touch is a common one among the "prison style" burpees, it's an interesting way to mix things up. Especially when combined with the "rocking chair", a squat on the balls of the feet also. Demonstrated beautifully here.

It’s a toss up between BurpeeKing and Moses Cuevas in terms of burpee quality.

BK has incredible hang time in the transition from the top of push to standing. It’s flawless.

Moses on the other hand, has an artistic quality to his burpees. His stomach strike has an intensity to it. I actually think Moses wins it on this as his burpees tell a story.

Hello,

Here is a 'variation' of the regular 6ct or NS. Basically, there's a toe touch before actually doing the rep so one gets a hinge motion (instead of a squat motion)

This guy performs high repetition training, very 'prison style ' .

Assuming his website,he credits this kind of training for having a 45bpm RHR. I guess he does them in the aerobic zone though

Kind regards,

Pet'

I don’t think Max intends to perform them in the aerobic zone as his systems is based on volume over time

His sessions rarely breach 20 minutes and are done at a really intense pace.

I’ve got a lot of time for Max. He’s one of the first guys I connected with when I started my YouTube channel and is incredibly genuine

Hello,

Honestly, it is possible to perform high repetition burpees using the aerobic pathway. To a certain extent, as long as you are proficient with technique and breathe properly (through the nose can be a good pacer, and at the right time), this kind of routine are great to build conditioning for those who do not want (or cannot) run / ruck / swim or whatever.

One can use different burpee variations which can be slower: for instance, adding a pull up after each move, or a lunge, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Honestly, it is possible to perform high repetition burpees using the aerobic pathway. To a certain extent, as long as you are proficient with technique and breathe properly (through the nose can be a good pacer, and at the right time), this kind of routine are great to build conditioning for those who do not want (or cannot) run / ruck / swim or whatever.

One can use different burpee variations which can be slower: for instance, adding a pull up after each move, or a lunge, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'
I absolutely agree with this

I performed 500 unbroken last week and my HR only started going over 150bpm towards the end

Hello,

I'd also like to add something, but maybe @strongandconditioned who is more way more experienced will not agree:
Most of the time, we see people performing hundreds of burpees in one go. However, it does not have to be a "race against a number". As long as one is not proficient, 50 top quality reps are better than 100 bad ones. Pure conditioning will be developed as quality reps increase. At least, that's the way I train them.

Kind regards,

Pet'

The way I've always done burpees is with a push-up and a jump. This is how we did them at the first martial arts school I ever trained at and I will say that we were in damn good condition from them. If we wanted to make them as hard as possible, we would do a tuck jump.

The first time I looked into the burpee trend, I was really surprised to see that not a lot of people do the jump. It's just a squat alternated with a push-up, which is not that different from the classic wrestling workout of Hindu squats + Hindu push-ups. Seeing all these people rave about the incredible conditioning they get from non-jump burpees makes me think the original wrestlers probably knew exactly what they were talking about.

High rep workouts of Hindu squats / Hindu push-ups and sprawls would probably complement burpees beautifully.

Hello,

I tend to agree with @3letterslong

My sport is boxing (instead of wrestling), however, it still seems to work extremely well, both in terms of aerobic conditioning (assuming we perform long enough using nasal breathing) and flexibility / mobility as well.

Running remains extremely effective, and still perform it. Nonethless with burpees, I feel like I can hit two birds with one stone: strength endurance, mobility / flexibility and conditioning. Running may cause some stiffness, which does not occur with burpees. Plus, they offer a lot variations (with a rocking chair move, n push ups, with / without jump, Navy Seal...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

I tend to agree with @3letterslong

My sport is boxing (instead of wrestling), however, it still seems to work extremely well, both in terms of aerobic conditioning (assuming we perform long enough using nasal breathing) and flexibility / mobility as well.

Running remains extremely effective, and still perform it. Nonethless with burpees, I feel like I can hit two birds with one stone: strength endurance, mobility / flexibility and conditioning. Running may cause some stiffness, which does not occur with burpees. Plus, they offer a lot variations (with a rocking chair move, n push ups, with / without jump, Navy Seal...)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Agree 100%.

The only thing I would caution is that those with knee issues should treat the rocking chair with respect and not overdo it at first. I overdid them before and irritated my knee.

Hello,

+1 to @grouchyjarhead
Burpees, like everything which comes down to the high repetition training, have to be built up overtime to avoid overuse injury.

Even doing so, the poison is in the dose. Performing 1000s of rocking-chair on a daily basis may come at a cost. Plus, at some point, I think that there is some sort of diminishing return.

Something I like about burpees is that they offert enough variety to be used as a 'cure' for a lot of things:
- upper body strength endurance with several push ups
- lower body endurance with lunges or squats
Etc...
These are just examples.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Wasn’t the original burpee done without the push-up or the jump?

Yeah, but I never knew that until a few years ago. I thought that what I learned to be a burpee was what everyone considered a burpee. In the early 2000s, when I started looking about S&C info online, I'd see people advocating workouts with crazy-high numbers of burpees and I'd frequently burn myself out on them. Now I know why.

Hello,

I'd also like to add something, but maybe @strongandconditioned who is more way more experienced will not agree:
Most of the time, we see people performing hundreds of burpees in one go. However, it does not have to be a "race against a number". As long as one is not proficient, 50 top quality reps are better than 100 bad ones. Pure conditioning will be developed as quality reps increase. At least, that's the way I train them.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I actually do agree.

Lately I’ve been promoting a type of burpee which has formed the bulk of my training. I call them ‘strong style’ as the key elements are slowing the burpee down and pausing slightly on every pint of contact to increase time under tension, even more so on the push up phase.

Strong style burpees aren’t about crushing pr’s. They’re about building burpee strength and refining technique. The only burpee that matters is the one you’re currently performing in that respect.

Rep/burpee quality is so important and can be something that is overlooked as people who get into this game tend to get excited and want to hit the high numbers fast.

I was that guy and it was to my detriment because it took me the best part of a year to refine my style, so I missed out on a lot of quality work.

In response to the different styles eg rocking chairs. I like to do a rocking style now and again, purely because they are fun. I don’t think they offer anymore potential benefits than a 6 count however so use them sparingly.

In my opinion, Rocking chairs and psycho style are aesthetic and tend to bring more eyeballs to the product however they pale in comparison to the tried and tested 6 count/navy seals and also carry a higher risk of injury.

Hello @strongandconditioned

That's very interesting !

So, to balance hip hinge and squat motion, are you more in favor of doing a regular squat either before or after the burpee ? Indeed, I do not know if you are agree, but I find interesting to add a squat because the hip hinge will work on posterior chain / hamstring and the squat will work the quads.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @strongandconditioned

That's very interesting !

So, to balance hip hinge and squat motion, are you more in favor of doing a regular squat either before or after the burpee ? Indeed, I do not know if you are agree, but I find interesting to add a squat because the hip hinge will work on posterior chain / hamstring and the squat will work the quads.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I like to add squat chasers into my routine mainly to get that full body conditioning effect and I also tend to find that the squats spike the HR, more so than the burpees. Especially when you’re doing 2 pumps and above.

The hip hinge not so much. I don’t think doing the hip hinge is going to have any benefit other than allowing you to create a solid flow into the burpee. If I was ever doing a hip hinge then it would have to be loaded ie RDL or KB swings

Back
Top Bottom