all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Is simple and sinister all you need?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

General Physical Preparedness.

$1 to Lyle. :)

-S-
Lol. I’d forgotten.

But really - S&S is all you need, assuming your goal is simply to be fit & strong.

It's not the daily increase, but daily decrease. Hack away the unessential." - Bruce Lee

All you need is there. In particular if you use the suggested warmup and cooldown. It would be theoretically possible to do the program for decades and improve. IF - you can maintain your focus, etc. Similar to Ed Coan using essentially the same program for years. He had the mental strength to do so and continue to get stronger.

Few do. The failure is not in the program, but the person. So it depends on the person and of course the person’s goals.

Now - should S&S be all you do. That is another thing entirely.

Don't forget Pavel ok'd adding farmers walk at the end. If you really want to up the ante add in the push presses which have been discussed several times in various threads.

It’s promise is:

Simple & Sinister is what Russians call a “general preparation program.”
✓ S&S will prepare you physically for almost anything life could throw at you, from carrying a piano upstairs to holding your own in a street fight.
✓ S&S will forge a fighter’s physique, because the form must follow the function.
✓ S&S will give you the strength, the stamina, and the suppleness to recreationally play any sport—and play it well.
✓ If you are a serious athlete, S&S will serve as a perfect foundation for your sport-specific training.
✓ If you are a serious lifter, S&S will build your strength, rather than interfere with it. Simple & Sinister will achieve all of the above while leaving plenty of time and energy to do your duty, your job, practice your sport, and have a life.
This is great marketing. It has proven itself in this thread.

But you could say this about many other two-exercise programs or a number of programs that have three or more exercises that can be done with one Kettlebell (and bodyweight) with minimal time commitment.

There is no reason to stay on S&S indefinitely (for the many reasons I've already stated).

Someone would be far better off rotating S&S with other programs (PTTP. Q&D, A+A) and adding a few other exercises like pull-ups (or whatever else they may need to fill the gaps).

This is great marketing.

8-minute-abs-quick-at-home-workout-routine-6-pack.jpg

397f07adac701e9f9dfa54855c3c8df7.jpg

1656888028833.jpeg

I think I have the answer regarding my question.

Yes. It is enough for my body to stay physically prepared and fit for life.

It will not make me as strong as a barbell can or make me physically look good as on a hypertrophy programme.

What it will do Is keep me grounded and give me daily movement. Like others have suggested if I feel the need to add other exercises press, pull up, carry. Then I can, but the basics stay the same.
Swing, get up.

I will always stay fresh and the thought of the next workout will never be daunting, I don't need a gym and I have no excuse to not train.

I understand people hate this programme and think it's just big Pavel selling the kettlebell, but there must be some merit to it.
It will keep me just strong enough, not to be weak.

Thanks everyone.

This is great marketing. It has proven itself in this thread.

But you could say this about many other two-exercise programs or a number of programs that have three or more exercises that can be done with one Kettlebell (and bodyweight) with minimal time commitment.

There is no reason to stay on S&S indefinitely (for the many reasons I've already stated).

Someone would be far better off rotating S&S with other programs (PTTP. Q&D, A+A) and adding a few other exercises like pull-ups (or whatever else they may need to fill the gaps.

I respect your knowledge, I am sure you design great programs for your clients, yourself and execute with huge success.

After certain point, those opinions of ours become just bare personal choices.

I have chosen not to exercise for all my life, then I have started to exercise, and after 1.5 years, at the point that I was really fed-up with glycogenic aspect of the programs that I was doing, S&S became a breeze to me.

Pavel says, in my understanding, that you don’t have to train all the movement patterns in one single program. And I like this idea.

I hope I will keep my commitment to S&S until at least hitting Simple.

Everyone’s views and tastes can change, if my views and tastes don’t change by the time I hit Simple, than I might eye to PTTP or Q&D again one of Pavel’s two exercise programs, or continue with S&S. We will see.

Leave a side, keeping S&S for long years versus cycling other programs, I am sure most people simply quit. I hope we will again be in this forum discussing programs in a few years time :)

A few getups and 100 swings never hurt anyone....

That being said, the answer is to the question is a resounding NO.

One hand swings are so bleh.... Learn the snatch. Do front squats, Clean and Press. Jerks, Do them as a complex. Kettlebells are so much more than doing some halos, goblet squats, 5 high bridge slow TGU's and 100 swings. 6 days a week.

As a finisher it's fine. As a prequel for 6 weeks for the ROP, fine. As a lifetime all you need? No.

That marketing copy is straight out of the JDC playbook.

This may be out of left field for this thread but is nobody worried about overuse injuries from hammering the same movement patterns day in and day out for months if not years? Especially when done explosively/hardstyle?

This may be out of left field for this thread but is nobody worried about overuse injuries from hammering the same movement patterns day in and day out for months if not years? Especially when done explosively/hardstyle?
For the most part - no. Joints being put through a normal rom in basic human movements? Unless you are starting with a very poor movement base or chronic injuries I don’t see a problem.

If you are then I suggest buying the book (disclaimer - I get no reward for suggesting this) which outlines proper technique.

I've been practicing S&S for almost a year now. I am now using the 32kg, while implementing the 40kg in a couple of sets. I find I am stronger and more conditioned than most people I encounter on a day-to-day basis, and am strong enough to do most things I have to do. However, I still find myself lacking in some situations, usually when it comes to running a lot, or climbing up and over things playing with kids.
Specificity roolz! It is GPP. I supplement my practice of 2 week blocs alternating S&S and PTTP with Tim Anderson’s Press Reset, movement skills (ground & brachiate) and walks or rucks with my wife.

S&S is enough for many people and their goals. My main goal is to move well.

But I’d also like to compete in the TSC. I’ve been a competitive strength athlete for a long time. Hence the PTTP. I’ll integrate pull-ups and snatches into my practice after shoulder surgery.

I have a single speed commuter bike. It is a great bike, I use it over relatively flat roads and paths to commute. It is all I need. People say they need gears and I say my legs are strong enough I don’t need gears.

If I wanted to become a triathlete I would need a road or triathlon bike, different shoes, etc.

If I was riding on trails by the river I would need a geared hybrid or mountain bike, depending on how difficult the trails I want to do are.

Ultimately the question is what are your needs? For general fitness, S&S is enough. But if you start getting specialized it isn’t enough. If you want to be able to run well - run. Crawl around with children easily?Crawl.

Last edited:
Overuse injuries aren't from using some aspect of movement a lot. They are from doing more than what the body is (or specifically in most cases, more than tissues are) prepared to do. With appropriate progression, "overuse" doesn't need to be a thing that ever happens, even in extreme cases like ultramarathoners, Tour de France cyclists, world record holders of many feats, and many others.

I saw an interview on Joe Rogan where Pavel said he does swings and dips.
I saw this too. As far as I can tell he follows a kind of Q+D pattern. Swings or snatches with dips. Little to no warm up (he states this in book).
Hope that helps.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom