all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kb strong and The ONE program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Without going into to much detail, I am just curious how some of your schedule you strength work along side this program? I no geoff talks about practicing the other lifts but what do you feel is most beneficial to stay on track with you progress?

Scott this is just my take: the toughest challenge will be sticking to the program

I agree with what you say on sticking with program,  so all you do is your one exercise on strong days and then your swings on the other days?

@Scott - "STRONG" is strength work. "One" is the conditioning. If you're talking about practice, simply take between 10-20 minutes before your workout and practice the skills you'd like to work on. Like you said, the key word here is "practice." Nothing to failure. The good news is this will only make the workout portion better as everything will be "grooved."

@Geoff Neupert. I just have to say again this has been one of the best purchases I have made in recent years.

When doing Strong with Cleans and Presses, do you reclean before each press, or clean once at the beginning of each set and then do all of the presses?

@ Jeffrey - Reclean before each press. At the risk of sounding "snarky" - that's why the exercise is called the clean AND press, rather than just the press.

Reactions: Gaz
Go ahead and be snarky.  I was pretty sure that was what it meant.

if someone did the Strong with front squats, would there be a clean before each squat?

I am about to start Strong this week, or as soon as my second KB arrives. I was interested to hear what supplementary work, if any, people are doing.

My first run through will be with the C&P but but is anyone adding in RoP style variety days or matching pull ups to the C&P's.

@Jeffrey

I am doing Strong with the FRT SQT. I am only cleaning between sets. so 10x1 is 10 cleans and 10 squats but 5x2 is only 5 cleans but 10 squats.

@giles troulan
I did 3 weeks of laddered pullups buried inside the clean & press sets. I was using Pavel's Fighter pullup progression from a 3 RM and was up to rungs of 4,3,3,2,1 when my left elbow started doing something I could "feel" after the 3rd session of the week. So I dropped pullups while continuing Strong!! in order to be sure it was the pullups causing it. It was. For a 50 year-old like me, it was too much. I suspect the extra demand of the higher weight plus double KBs I'm using for Strong!! vs. ROP plus pullups simply demanded more than I was able to recover from, so by Friday my elbow began to warn me of it. The good news is that I now know what volume of pullups I can tolerate - at least if done in concert with another program.  Advance with caution

I performed the STRONG Program.

After completing the STRONG Program (with 32's) I moved onto the Long Haul (with 32's) and all was going well, but by the time I got to the sets of 5, I had developed chronic elbow pain in both elbows. On my right elbow it was the underside right on the point of the bone joint. On my left elbow it was the inside of my elbow (Golfers elbow?).

So I stopped. moved onto bodyweight exercies (rings dips / ring pull ups) and the pain is no more. I would like to finish the program but not sure if there is a way for me to do it without getting the overuse / elbow injuries again.

I will say that I was comfortably clean and pressing  double 32's for multiple sets of five which previously was my rep max. The pain in my elbows usually flared up after the set was complete and I'd stood up from putting the bells down.

Hey pat have you ever had your form checked out sounds like this could be a clean technique issue. This happened to me and it was from the bells pulling slack out if my arms on the drop of clean.

@Pat and anyone else having elbow problems on the Strong program:

+1 to Scott's comment. This is really common and easy to do without even consciously realizing you are doing it.

Especially if you are fatigued and/or not totally confident in your grip strength and/or ability to absorb the force of the drop with your hips, the subconscious tendency is to keep a slight bend in your arms and use the arms to absorb some of the force. Even if it is very subtle, it can still set you up for elbow problems.

Giles - Assuming you are looking to get stronger as the main goal, I would suggest doing the plan as written first. I did the Short Course +The One Program a while back and I had no desire to do anything on my off days aside from some mobility work and OS Resets.

Take your time and invest in your strength. It'll pay back dividends down the road.

Thanks for the responses. I did post a video here for Geoff to do a form check a few months back and Geoff commented saying it was good. I will look into the clean drop issue. Thanks for the tips.

PS. Sorry ti hijack, And if Geoff is reading, was there a blog post coming about the hollow position for dips (ring and bar)? I remember Pavel mentioning this in a blog post.

So I was thinking about the one program and since people can't seem to get past 30/30 or 35/25, has anyone just tried with a single bell like the 32,44,or 48 ? Might be more achieveable .

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom