all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell AXE - general discussion

AXE PROGRAM IS TERRIFIC

Summary: few PR in 2.5 weeks of Axe
Background:
could not do Simple, 16kg TGU was ok but struggled with 1-hand swing for 24kg. Usually could do 3 or 4 swings only. Workout in my basement at 6am before work. 12kg to 24kg KB + squat rack and BB.
  • Beginning of March (before Axe): 5 x 1 Hand Swing with 24kg KB for the first time on both sides. So happy. I've been struggling with 24kg for so long.
  • 3 weeks off to take care of my dad.
  • Wednesday April 3rd: 1st attempt to Axe "by memory" (I read the book months ago) -> 21kg x H2H. 6 swings OTM then 8 swings because too easy. Stopped at 28 minutes, I was late to work. Surprised and so happy, it was easy.
  • Reread the book and forum threads
  • Few days later 2nd Axe with 24kg x 1-hand x 2 rep OTM until 25 minutes because of stop signs. So happy, that was 50 x 1 hand-swing with 24kg for the first time.
  • Few days later 3rd Axe with 24kg x 1-hand x 3 rep OTM until ~34 min because I wanted to do 100 swings.
  • Few days later 4th Axe with 24kg x 1-hand x 4 rep OTM until ~22 min because of stop signs
  • Wedn April 17: 5th Axe with 24kg x 1 hand x 5 rep OTM until 20 minutes because ... "this is 100 swings, I'm wondering if I can do TGU now?" and I did my 10 TGU with 16 kg in 9 minutes. Kind of untimed "SIMPLE", celebration dance ;-)
  • Thursday April 18, watch videos of @Anna C swinging 28kg and 32kg like if it was "nothing" (she's my new hero). It was on a interesting thread about speed of 1H swing
  • Friday April 19: went to a shop to buy a 28kg KB hoping than by doing 2 hands swing with 28kg on days when my hands need a "rest" it will help my 24kg x 1H. The shop has only a 32kg on display so I tried several 2 hands swings and it felt easy. Wondered if I needed a 28kg or a 32 kg. They brought the 28kg, tried it and could even do a single hand with the 28kg on both sides (=45.8% BW) !!!! I was shocked. The sale guy was so good "because it's your first time here, you have $50 discount, and because the 32kg is a floor display, I'll give it to you at 50% if you buy both" ... I tried them again and bought them. So it's like if I paid $2 less for the 32kg full price and I got the 28kg free ;-)
  • Friday April 19: I had to play with my new toys when I came home ;-) OTM 28kg x 10 rep with 2 hands swings x 2 minutes (easy) + OTM 32kg x 10 rep with 2 hands swings x 2 minutes then stop sign... few minutes break, then decided to do TGU. The first one felt heavy ... I screwed up and picked up the 20kg KB instead of the 16KB. It was my first time doing a TGU with a 20kg !!! I did 3 on each side then stop sign. I was so happy. (I'm sore today as expected, rest day ;-) )
My KB goal is to continue to do Axe with 24kg hoping to do H2H when my grip will be stronger. The reason is the kayaking, SUP and backpacking seasons are starting soon. Last summer, I was able to do 1-hand swing with 21kg KB and putting my kayak on my roof was so much easier. I'm going to add some push press to my training because I cannot really "swing" my 23 kg kayak in my garage. My 15kg SUP is so heavy and awkward to carry, it's reinforced for whitewater so extra wide too.

Grip Strength: I've been handing from my pull up bar with 2 hands (10 sec to 1 min) and 1 hand (5 sec), I think it's helping my grip strength a lot, the stretch feels so good. I do it few times/day. On non-Axe day I'm doing front squat BB, ring dip, pullup and 2 days of rest per week.

Thank you to all of you, this forum is a gold mine of information.

Great work, @Ellen! Thanks for sharing your progress. Those are great insights.

Your season of kayaking, SUP and backpacking sounds awesome.

I had never thought about AXE as a starting point for hardstyle kettlebell training, so thanks for that concept @Steve Freides.
Again, it's not really AXE, but it's an S&S regression that's easiest to explain to people as I've explained it above. Arguably an oversimplification on my part.

-S-

One of my newer client athletes is a 48 year old female marathoner who started training with me about 9 months ago. She has been on a two days a week strength program + 2 days a week of AxE or AGT work for about 5 months now, (She had never lifted before starting with me so it took a little bit to get her “pre-strong first.”)

Anyway, this last Sunday in London she knocked 17 minutes off her last marathon outing which was in October. The October marathon was also a PR effort (5 minutes) after only about 8 weeks of basic “learning how” lifting.

Not super scientific here, but the only thing about her training that changed was adding strength work. The addition of the AxE and AGT work after foundation work seems to have added a little extra ooomph. At any rate: She is stoked. Her husband trains with me also, unfortunately he got attacked and injured by a dog while on a run a few of weeks out from his first Boston marathon (a week ago yesterday) but he ran it and got through it. Then just for giggles he ran London this past Sunday and did 10 minutes better than his Boston outing. He’s stoked too.

So… she ran no more, or no less than she was prior to the new strength work?
Yes, pretty much the same mileage as before…her husband also. My general point was before there was only running for training and the improvements came pretty quickly after adding lifting. We were all surprised at how much. Not really predictable.

Like I said, not making a scientific claim. But I am not about to try to falsify the hypothesis either (would you please lay off lifting for 8 months and see if your times get worse and then start up again and see if they improve again?) but maybe some integrative physiology grad student somewhere will take it on.

A friend of mine describes AGT and AxE training as analogous to “adding more batteries to a Tesla.” Given that MtX biogenesis happens pretty quickly and once integrated in the system should enhance performance, using lifting to get more of the body developed as a lactate sink than the sport practice alone can do strikes me as a reasonable explanation, all other things held relatively constant, for a performance improvement. That and just being stronger generally.

But, maybe not.

Yes, pretty much the same mileage as before…her husband also. My general point was before there was only running for training and the improvements came pretty quickly after adding lifting. We were all surprised at how much. Not really predictable.

Like I said, not making a scientific claim. But I am not about to try to falsify the hypothesis either (would you please lay off lifting for 8 months and see if your times get worse and then start up again and see if they improve again?) but maybe some integrative physiology grad student somewhere will take it on.

A friend of mine describes AGT and AxE training as analogous to “adding more batteries to a Tesla.” Given that MtX biogenesis happens pretty quickly and once integrated in the system should enhance performance, using lifting to get more of the body developed as a lactate sink than the sport practice alone can do strikes me as a reasonable explanation, all other things held relatively constant, for a performance improvement. That and just being stronger generally.

But, maybe not.
Please permit me one additional question. Your client never lifted prior to working with you. And she is doing AXE. Did she meet the prescribed ‘prerequisite’ of meeting the Simple swing standard?
Thanks…

Please permit me one additional question. Your client never lifted prior to working with you. And she is doing AXE. Did she meet the prescribed ‘prerequisite’ of meeting the Simple swing standard?
Thanks…
I don't know Randy's other client, but he as my weightlifting coach, and me being in a break from weightlifting at present, has given me these "AXE-inspired" sessions this week and last, so she may be doing something similar. These are AXE in the general sense as we used to use "A+A" terminology, not the AXE program from the book specifically.

I don't know Randy's other client, but he as my weightlifting coach, and me being in a break from weightlifting at present, has given me these "AXE-inspired" sessions this week and last, so she may be doing something similar. These are AXE in the general sense as we used to use "A+A" terminology, not the AXE program from the book specifically.

lol this feels like a Marvel crossover movie

Hi Anna. I like the way that this workout has been put together. It’s AGT but seems to have deviated away from typical AXE in that you have 3 movements that you are alternating through. a bit more like iron cardio/strength aerobics maybe? I’d be interested to hear the idea behind it a bit more and how this could be progressed into a full programme. It’s certainly efficient in that you can get all the main patterns covered in a single training session

Hi Anna. I like the way that this workout has been put together. It’s AGT but seems to have deviated away from typical AXE in that you have 3 movements that you are alternating through. a bit more like iron cardio/strength aerobics maybe? I’d be interested to hear the idea behind it a bit more and how this could be progressed into a full programme. It’s certainly efficient in that you can get all the main patterns covered in a single training session
Agree, it's AGT with some AXE components. It deviates away from typical AXE in two ways, 1) that there are 3 movements alternating, and 2) some of them are a little more grindy (presses, squats) vs. explosive (swings, snatches, explosive push-ups).

As for progressing to a full program -- not to speak for Randy, but I think in both cases, for me and for his marathoner, we are in a phase where we are specifically emphasizing something else. I'm in a period of endurance cycling (bike riding) as my primary focus through September of this year, with my weightlifting on the back burner. So this "AXE-inspired programming" is a strength training/power supplement to that. Perhaps similar for the marathoner. In contrast, when I did A+A/AXE swing and snatch programs exclusively back in 2016-2017, that was programmed a lot differently with the primary focus on progressing the weight and volume of that movement while managing rest, fatigue, etc, which is essentially what the AXE program does, as outlined in the book.

In my opinion, this is closer to Iron Cardio. Understanding the principles and applying them to the moving parts of the system brings the system to a new level.

In my opinion, this is closer to Iron Cardio. Understanding the principles and applying them to the moving parts of the system brings the system to a new level.
Referring to the definitions in Kettlebell AXE pg 40-42, yes, I think you are correct. AGT encompasses A+A, Q&D, and Super Slow 2.0. Within A+A we have AXE, Metal Heart, and Strength Aerobics (Iron Cardio). So whereas the training I did years ago with heavy swings or snatches in sets of 5 on the 1:30 or 1:45, was closer to AXE, or perhaps even farther to the left of it as shown on the diagram, what I'm doing in these recent sessions is closer to Strength Aerobics... though it differs from Iron Cardio specifically as I understand it, because each repeat isn't a complex or chain.

Agree, understanding the principles and applying them is part of what makes it effective. Even in this modified format, I can apply principles of technique and power, active rest, effective breathing, and paying attention to stop signs, to make the session provide the desired stimulus for adaptation -- development of Type II muscle fibers, increased work capacity, strength and power development, aerobic improvements -- all in a low-stress and enjoyable training format. I did another session yesterday, increasing the weight and reps from last week.

Thanks…
The initial foundational lifting work included one and two hand swings after a few weeks…to a point where I felt she was swinging competently enough to go hard for 6 swings (10 seconds) “on the minute” for longer bouts. We started light and added reps per set, then started over with a little more weight and added time etc, So no, no “simple” standard, just my observation that she could do swings.

AnnaC above mentions some “AxE Inspired” circuits …which takes from AxE reasonably hard efforts moved as quickly as the exercise allows for reps on the minute….but in a circuit format. My runner just did swings a couple of days week…her top set a few weeks out from London was 10 swings, 20 rounds otm, 16kg.
(There were several protocols in Strong Endurance course book which consisted of circuits, but with longer rests. )

(Fwiw, In January I set a goal of 100 swings, 100 goblet squats and 100 pushups a day. My “AxE / AGT” experiment was perform an exercise at the top of the minute rotating through the three continuously. Day one it was 5 push ups, 5 swings, 5 goblet squats for 20 rounds, or one hour, Jan 31 I had gotten to 10 reps of each for 10 rounds in 1/2 hr. I realize not “orthodox” but generally in the ball park.)

Last edited:
Agree, it's AGT with some AXE components. It deviates away from typical AXE in two ways, 1) that there are 3 movements alternating, and 2) some of them are a little more grindy (presses, squats) vs. explosive (swings, snatches, explosive push-ups).

As for progressing to a full program -- not to speak for Randy, but I think in both cases, for me and for his marathoner, we are in a phase where we are specifically emphasizing something else. I'm in a period of endurance cycling (bike riding) as my primary focus through September of this year, with my weightlifting on the back burner. So this "AXE-inspired programming" is a strength training/power supplement to that. Perhaps similar for the marathoner. In contrast, when I did A+A/AXE swing and snatch programs exclusively back in 2016-2017, that was programmed a lot differently with the primary focus on progressing the weight and volume of that movement while managing rest, fatigue, etc, which is essentially what the AXE program does, as outlined in the book.
in the spirit of AxE my intention is all the movements should be moved as explosively as possible, or at least with the intention to do so…the rep scheme has to be based off the movement with which one has the least explosive endurance, right? 6 grindy pushups won’t work…but maybe one can do three explosive…so the squat and swings start at 3 also until the push ups improve.

Back
Top Bottom