all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell AXE - general discussion

@Justin_M if you don’t mind me asking, how would you recommend incorporating 2 x AXE (snatch) sessions in the Novocaine template (perhaps my favourite all round template). Thanks!
The OG KB schedule:
  • Session 1 & 5: 10s (S&S)
  • Session 3: cluster 20s (Q&D 033)
  • Session 6: 5s (A+A)
To shift down a gear:
  • Session 1 & 5: ~5s (AXE)
  • Session 3: 10s (S&S, 015, etc)
  • Session 6: 3s (C&J plan A)

Sorry if this was already answered in this thread. I am currently doing AXE and enjoying it but I was looking to add in some dips for a press. My question is how would I go about programming dips? Also, would it be better to do same day as my AXE session or different days?
In the E-book it mentions doing clean and press/jerks two days a week, the day after doing an AXE session. I assume you can do the same. It would depend on how much dip volume you plan to accumulate; you could do them the same day if the volume isn't too crazy.

Let’s say I ran Q&D plan 033 for 12 weeks to build up mitochondria. Then ran AXE for 12 weeks for the “plumbing” and capitalizing the mitochondria. I would like to add a press for 2 days a week. Grinds “impede” some of the adaptations so HSPU and KB press is out? Or did I just misunderstand. I would like to do ladders of handstand push ups since I’ll be doing a lot of volume of loading the spine with my KB AXE sessions during that 12 weeks.

@Pavel, I absolutely love this book, thank you! Is it possible to do AXE push-ups while working towards Simple? I’ve always been good at push-ups and I used to own timeless Simple. Currently working my way back up to timeless Simple before I start AXE swings.

@Pavel, I absolutely love this book, thank you! Is it possible to do AXE push-ups while working towards Simple? I’ve always been good at push-ups and I used to own timeless Simple. Currently working my way back up to timeless Simple before I start AXE swings.
I started AXE swings in December. It's been about 3 years since I owned Timeless Simple and I wasn't interested in going back to it, before starting AXE. I still followed AXE protocols, but we very conservative with the bell I started swinging.

I started AXE swings in December. It's been about 3 years since I owned Timeless Simple and I wasn't interested in going back to it, before starting AXE. I still followed AXE protocols, but we very conservative with the bell I started swinging.

I thought I was making a mistake starting AXE swings with my RPE10 10RM(sinister) but it's starting to feel nice and easy after ~3 weeks.

Am I right in thinking that 'AXE' for running would be best performed via (after a thorough warm up); very short say six second sprints (or almost sprints aka strides) followed by walking (or jogging if a very advanced/highly conditioned runner) until heart rate is low again and repeating over and over and over...?

Wesker11, thank you.

Yes. Do the pushups after swings and before the get-ups or at a different time or on a different day.

Am I right in thinking that 'AXE' for running would be best performed via (after a thorough warm up); very short say six second sprints (or almost sprints aka strides) followed by walking (or jogging if a very advanced/highly conditioned runner) until heart rate is low again and repeating over and over and over...?
James, yes.

3-5sec sprints OTM are a good place to start with. When you are no longer accelerating, stop.

James, yes.

3-5sec sprints OTM are a good place to start with. When you are no longer accelerating, stop.
Thank you Pavel

@Pavel

Does it make sense to do 1 AXE Swings session and 1 AXE Snatch session per week or will this provide too much variety?

Thought about:
Week 1 swings heavy, snatch light (volume)
Week 2 swings light, snatch heavy (volume)
Repeat

Or better 6 weeks of swings and then 6 weeks of snatches, repeat

Variation 3:
Twice per week: snatch L, snatch R, swing 2h, ….

I think SF should publish/post all or at least some of the q&a that Pavel answered in a categorized manner.

Edit, PS: will try advanced search function. Hmm that sounds like a good idea lets see …

@Pavel

Does it make sense to do 1 AXE Swings session and 1 AXE Snatch session per week or will this provide too much variety?

Thought about:
Week 1 swings heavy, snatch light (volume)
Week 2 swings light, snatch heavy (volume)
Repeat

Or better 6 weeks of swings and then 6 weeks of snatches, repeat

Variation 3:
Twice per week: snatch L, snatch R, swing 2h, ….
Xene, the SN and the SW are similar enough to work as special variety for each other. Simply alternate from session to session.

Plans 523 and 524 do just that.

Xene, the SN and the SW are similar enough to work as special variety for each other. Simply alternate from session to session.

Plans 523 and 524 do just that.
@Pavel I'm currently running 524A AXE, I have a question. Outside of general practice for the SN test, what is the specific purpose of performing the easy SN prior to the heavier session? Is there an adaptation endurance wise etc by doing it that way? I'm just curious

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but on Page 70 the book says, "Carry on this progression until you perform 40 sets of six hand-to-hand swings on the minutes with at least 40% of your bodyweight for both genders..."

Why are there no gender-based differences in Kettlebell AXE when we find those differences in so many other training regimens?

-S-

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but on Page 70 the book says, "Carry on this progression until you perform 40 sets of six hand-to-hand swings on the minutes with at least 40% of your bodyweight for both genders..."

Why are there no gender-based differences in Kettlebell AXE when we find those differences in so many other training regimens?

-S-
my understanding is that the sex differences are upper-body strength differences.
the lower body strength differences, maybe, aren't large enough to separate.
So, if we're doing swings, maybe there isn't a need for a different standard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom