all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell AXE - general discussion

So as a sum up, zone 2 can be incorporated into the same training session as axe? I've 20/30 min axe then 60 min run?

In Kettlebell Axe Pavel uses only Jerks as an axe. Which makes me wonder is KBSF LCCJs Metal Heart?
Nope. At least not the way it's programmed in Kettlebells StrongFirst (A+A).

Metal Heart would require more reps or longer work sets and shorter rest breaks. Most likely using 30/30 intervals and similar protocols.

Remember, it qualifies as "serious cardio."

It's the type of training I was using with myself and my coaching clients from 2010-2020ish and especially when I competed in obstacle course races (2011-2017).

I used a lot of 30/30, 20/40, and 40/20 interval circuits.

Metal Heart would require more reps or longer work sets and shorter rest breaks. Most likely using 30/30 intervals and similar protocols.

It's the type of training I was using with myself and my coaching clients from 2010-2020ish and especially when I competed in obstacle course races (2011-2017).

When I’m doing 3rxE30sx30mins

where could I learn more about Metal Heart from?

When I’m doing 3rxE30sx30mins

Pavel has defined KBSF LCCJ as AXE in this very thread. I asked him a similar question and here is his answer:

The difference between AXE and Metal Heart is blurry.

Type I fibers do all work up to ~25% of max strength.

Type IIA fibers start getting recruited at ~ 25% and IIX ~50%.

At ~80% all available IIX are presumably recruited, which is why it make it the lower border for AXE.

Of course, some type IIX fibers are already recruited and get trained once you pass the 50% mark. Thus, at, say 65%, you are training all your type IIA and some of the IIX.

The reason the Kettlebells StrongFirst C&J protocol is so demanding on cardio is not the predominant use of IIA but the total muscle mass involved in the C&J.
So I think you could say that hte last phases shift KBSF a little towards Metal Heart, although primarily being more AXE.

He then confirmed 060 and Snatch Walking as Metal Heart protocols (both available in Speed Metal).

You can learn more about it at Strong Endurance, maybe at All Terrain Conditioning, and somewhere in the future via the book.

"Metal heart" is also a song by Dimmu Borgir, although not one of their better ones and will only be of any theoretical value to your AXE training if you like listening to that kind of metal music. :cool:

To be clear, Metal Heart is an album and a song on the album by Accept, which I understand is one the author's favorite bands. The Dimmu Borgir track is a cover, and a good one.

As mentioned above, Strong Endurance seminar, All-Terrain Conditioning seminar, and Pavel's upcoming book (it will be a while).

Most recent article using Step-ups:

After reading kettlebell Axe, I started to apply it with my athletes.
Here is my question.
For athletes who need to jump explosively like volleyball players, can we combine kb swing with explosive box jump alternatively or just focus on swing or box jump?
Thank you for your feedback in advance.

After reading kettlebell Axe, I started to apply it with my athletes.
Here is my question.
For athletes who need to jump explosively like volleyball players, can we combine kb swing with explosive box jump alternatively or just focus on swing or box jump?
Thank you for your feedback in advance.
I would alternate AXE sessions with Swings and Jerks, and then reevaluate after 6 weeks, if this setup seems to make a difference.

I would encourage the athletic hip hinge for this:

The deep hinge of the Swing and the narrow squat of the Jerk should contribute to the way jumping motions are expressed in volleyball, I would think.

If this does not work, you could try a more specific approach, but this would probably require a slightly different programming approach.

Noticed a couple of comments from others on this from Layne Norton post related to Pavel and AXE:

"This backs up what Pavel and Marty Gallagher wrote about 24 years ago."
"seems very similar to Pavel’s work and his new axe work out"

Louka's YouTube is a kettlebell goldmine, both in terms of programs and teaching videos.
Is he endorsed by StrongFirst?
I enjoy hearing him explain books I have bought and paid for however I sometimes wonder if he goes too far in disclosing the content.
I enjoy reading and will happily pay for good books but I wonder if there are folks taking advantage and not helping the original authors.

Back
Top Bottom