all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell AXE - general discussion

Working on AXE H2H swings, I moved pretty quickly through 32KG and 36KG to 40KG staying very loyal to all the stop signs. I hung out at 40KG x 4 x 30 for a few sessions, and it became very chill. This morning I moved up to 40KG x 6, and whoa, the party started! That was the first time I've failed the talk test short of 20 sets. I'm looking forward to settling in with this KB now! As Pavel claims in the book, moving from 4 to 6 is not just adding two reps!
This is encouraging. I started AXE Swings two weeks ago. I started with 24kg to be safe. Moved to 32kg at six reps per set already.

Currently, the skin on my hands is the limiting factor. The added friction from regripping on the float is going to build some calluses. I never had the problem with 1H swings, even with heavier bells.

I look forward to swinging the AXE with The Bulldog.

I'm planning to switch to AXE in the New Year (running Q&D at present till the year's end). I figure that I'll run Q&D for 12-14 weeks in the last couple months of a year and AXE for most of the year for my kettlebell ballistic work and layer what grinds/LISS work 'to taste' atop it as a plan.

I own both the QD and AXE books. Right now, money is keeping me from buying a heavier bell. I’m stuck at 53 lbs for two handed swings (some injuries keep me from one handed swings).

Is it possible to do AXE with this weight? I’m saving for a heavier bell. But in the meantime, would 12-15 reps a set OTM for 30 mins achieve similar results?

Is it possible to do AXE with this weight? I’m saving for a heavier bell. But in the meantime, would 12-15 reps a set OTM for 30 mins achieve similar results?
You can use it for 2-Hand Swings but definitely not for 12-15 reps. That defeats the purpose since sets need to be completed in 10 seconds or less.

Either do them with that weight for 10 seconds with 80-90% power or choose another exercise (Burpees, Jump Squats, Split Jump Lunges, etc.).

I own both the QD and AXE books. Right now, money is keeping me from buying a heavier bell. I’m stuck at 53 lbs for two handed swings (some injuries keep me from one handed swings).

Could also buy a band, wrap around feet and bell handle. Not ideal but could work. There's videos out there showing it.

I would try to go more in the direction of Metal Heart.

Try 3 or 4 reps every 30 seconds to begin with. Then 5 reps every 30 seconds, then 5 reps every 20 seconds. Up to 40 minutes, later maybe up to 60 minutes.

Or you could try overspeed eccentrics.

I would try to go more in the direction of Metal Heart.

Try 3 or 4 reps every 30 seconds to begin with. Then 5 reps every 30 seconds, then 5 reps every 20 seconds. Up to 40 minutes, later maybe up to 60 minutes.

Or you could try overspeed eccentrics.
I’ve never heard of metal heart. Is it discussed in this forum?

I’ve never heard of metal heart. Is it discussed in this forum?
It is mentioned in AXE, and will probably be another book. Plan 060 and Snatch Walking are examples (both featured in the Speed Metal course, which is on sale right now). It was also briefly discussed in this thread. (Searching for "Metal Heart" should lead you there.) Basically lighter weights and less rest.

You could also use 7/4 and 15/2 as your rep schemes for Q&D (this is mentioned as a variation towards the end of the book).

If I was limited to a lighter bell, I would refine the snatch, and work with that exercise.

Page 89 on Kindle
“Even if they tell you that you check off all the boxes for your health and sport, try to complement AXE with at least one of the following: hiking, cross country running, skiing, swimming, or rucking. Both your body and your head have a lot to gain from low-to-moderate intensity steady-state exercise.”

Page 89 on Kindle
“Even if they tell you that you check off all the boxes for your health and sport, try to complement AXE with at least one of the following: hiking, cross country running, skiing, swimming, or rucking. Both your body and your head have a lot to gain from low-to-moderate intensity steady-state exercise.”
Fantastic; thanks.

It is mentioned in AXE, and will probably be another book. Plan 060 and Snatch Walking are examples (both featured in the Speed Metal course, which is on sale right now). It was also briefly discussed in this thread. (Searching for "Metal Heart" should lead you there.) Basically lighter weights and less rest.
"Metal heart" is also a song by Dimmu Borgir, although not one of their better ones and will only be of any theoretical value to your AXE training if you like listening to that kind of metal music. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom