all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell AXE - general discussion

Is he endorsed by StrongFirst?
I enjoy hearing him explain books I have bought and paid for however I sometimes wonder if he goes too far in disclosing the content.
I enjoy reading and will happily pay for good books but I wonder if there are folks taking advantage and not helping the original authors.
He does say in the beginning of the video he works with StrongFirst. I don’t see him putting out this detailed information without the go ahead from their Corporate office.

I enjoy hearing him explain books I have bought and paid for however I sometimes wonder if he goes too far in disclosing the content.
I enjoy reading and will happily pay for good books but I wonder if there are folks taking advantage and not helping the original authors.
Beyond that he is certified instructor I know naught.

Louka Kurcer is a StrongFirst Team Leader in Canada. He shared his intense life story and path to kettlebells in this article. Worth a read!!

I feel confident that Pavel would discuss it with him directly if this were the case. I can see your concern, but usually if someone is sufficiently interested to watch and do the program, they will want to invest the small amount of money for the original material. And Louka certainly makes it clear what the source is.

Apologies if this question has been raised before. I’m considering taking a break from Giant X and incorporating AXE Swings into my routine.

I’m curious about whether IC, Giant 1.0, or [The Best All-Around Training Method EVER | StrongFirst] would be a good fit. I intend to maintain my press strength and progression and DFSQ during this period. Additionally, I regularly walk my dog in the snowy woods for about 5-8k.

As AXE has been available for a while, I’m interested in any insights or experiences you may have.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Apologies if this question has been raised before. I’m considering taking a break from Giant X and incorporating AXE Swings into my routine.

I’m curious about whether IC, Giant 1.0, or [The Best All-Around Training Method EVER | StrongFirst] would be a good fit. I intend to maintain my press strength and progression and DFSQ during this period. Additionally, I regularly walk my dog in the snowy woods for about 5-8k.

As AXE has been available for a while, I’m interested in any insights or experiences you may have.

Thank you!
For many months now I’ve been doing two days of double clean and press, two days of one hand swings (6 OTM - basically AXE), and two or three days of zone 2 work (per week). It’s a nice balance. At the moment I’m doing IC for the double clean and press (and FSQ), and although I’m only a few sessions in, I’m really enjoying it. Recovery hasn’t been an issue the past few months.

For many months now I’ve been doing two days of double clean and press, two days of one hand swings (6 OTM - basically AXE), and two or three days of zone 2 work (per week). It’s a nice balance. At the moment I’m doing IC for the double clean and press (and FSQ), and although I’m only a few sessions in, I’m really enjoying it. Recovery hasn’t been an issue the past few months.
Which training sessions on which days?
In which order?

In the book, Pavel suggest adding a press two days a week in addition to your AXE sessions. I was going to do handstand push ups to deload the back. Would 20 minutes of quality reps, as fresh as possible be enough volume with out being too much? I’m think 4-5 good work sets going nowhere near failure should be okay. If I’m feeling beat maybe 3 good sets, if roaring for more like 5 sets with a higher rep or range variation. Or do a heavy press and light press day one week, then a medium and a heavy press day the following week for the reliable Strongfirst heavy-medium-light programming.

What do you guys do for your push day? How many minutes, sets, wave loading etc.

In the book, Pavel suggest adding a press two days a week in addition to your AXE sessions. I was going to do handstand push ups to deload the back. Would 20 minutes of quality reps, as fresh as possible be enough volume with out being too much? I’m think 4-5 good work sets going nowhere near failure should be okay. If I’m feeling beat maybe 3 good sets, if roaring for more like 5 sets with a higher rep or range variation. Or do a heavy press and light press day one week, then a medium and a heavy press day the following week for the reliable Strongfirst heavy-medium-light programming.

What do you guys do for your push day? How many minutes, sets, wave loading etc.
I think this sounds good. The number of sets would depend on your reps per set. You could follow one of the rep schemes from the Giant. Or just do ladders with a top set that feels challenging without being an all out effort.

However, Lebe Stark is growing ever more obnoxious online.
That may be a fair adjective. But I can say a few good things about the video. 1) He is quite complimentary and supportive of the Kettlebell AXE training program and training method. 2) He's done a very thorough independent analysis of the book's contents (more than any of us, most likely). 3) His perspective is logical and science based.

Lebe Stark* offers a different perspective on kettlebell training. The fact that he criticises some things about StrongFirst means that we are a school that holds a high degree of clout in this realm, and that the subject matter is important to a lot of people. A school or method of value (which I think StrongFirst is) can stand up to scrutiny.

*Edit: Actually it's Gregory Dzemaili. Lebe Stark is the name of the training biz, apparently.

Last edited:
Hey today i did 22 Sets with the 48 kg of fives. The First time with a Heart Rate Monitor. My Heart Rate recovered very well on every Set far under my LT. But on Set 22 i Had a Speed / strength drop Off and stopped. After that i did 8 get ups with the 48. AXE works very well!!!Screenshot_20240123-142349.png

Hey today i did 22 Sets with the 48 kg of fives. The First time with a Heart Rate Monitor. My Heart Rate recovered very well on every Set far under my LT. But on Set 22 i Had a Speed / strength drop Off and stopped. After that i did 8 get ups with the 48. AXE works very well!!!View attachment 23840

I’m most impressed with the clean Hr graphs.
Here is what a typical session looks like for me. I’m using polar h10 chest strap.

IMG_2734.jpeg

I really like AXE, just getting into it but its the sort of exercise that makes sense to me. I can also "lose my mind" a bit, which helps out the mental health department as well. Can I do AXE the rest of my life? Or am i going to need to stop every 8-12 weeks? Forgive me if the answer is in the book and i missed it, i do own it.

I really like AXE, just getting into it but its the sort of exercise that makes sense to me. I can also "lose my mind" a bit, which helps out the mental health department as well. Can I do AXE the rest of my life? Or am i going to need to stop every 8-12 weeks? Forgive me if the answer is in the book and i missed it, i do own it.
KC, in one of Verkhoshansky's experiment high level mid-distance runners stayed with it for 3 years. Some of our instructors like Megan Kelly and Harald Motz a lot longer.

Sorry if this was already answered in this thread. I am currently doing AXE and enjoying it but I was looking to add in some dips for a press. My question is how would I go about programming dips? Also, would it be better to do same day as my AXE session or different days?

Back
Top Bottom