all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Hard-The Wolf

Very flat this morning for wk4 day3. Thank god only 3 rounds.

When I get back to KB strong, I think I’m going to do 2 days Strong, and my middle day I’ll keep doing the day 3 as my Wednesday workout. It’s brutal for the lungs

Week5 done, one more to go. It’s been brutal, and I will be adding some kind of conditioning regularly to my strength training as I totally suck. I have zero chance currently of sticking to the rest periods. Humbling definitely haha. On the flip side it’s shown just how much work I need to do conditioning wise. I’ll do this again next year and with some consistency I’ll be able to stick to the rest periods

Week5 done, one more to go. It’s been brutal, and I will be adding some kind of conditioning regularly to my strength training as I totally suck. I have zero chance currently of sticking to the rest periods. Humbling definitely haha. On the flip side it’s shown just how much work I need to do conditioning wise. I’ll do this again next year and with some consistency I’ll be able to stick to the rest periods
You're almost there! The Wolf is a hard one. I read your previous comment on when does it ever get easy? I wanted to comment and say on "Week 7" ROFL.

Running complexes will probably be a staple in my training. Especially after running a few from MKM/Kettlebell Hard. I recently finished up 8 weeks of KB Strong Phase 1 and wanted to continue with complexes. I feel like I should've started one with a smaller weight because its brutal jumping back into complexes.

Does this actually ever get easy? I mean, I suck less, but it still kills me every time

Geoff has another program called You Ain't got Squat. It is kind of like The Wolf lite, although it is not light and may make you regret living, but it is similar and not quite as hard as The Wolf. Could possibly run it before attempting the Wolf again. I think it would prepare you well for The Wolf.

Geoff has another program called You Ain't got Squat. It is kind of like The Wolf lite, although it is not light and may make you regret living, but it is similar and not quite as hard as The Wolf. Could possibly run it before attempting the Wolf again. I think it would prepare you well for The Wolf.
You don't know squat 2.0 is highly under rated

What I found as a useful guideline when using Geoff's programs is to be conservative with weights. If the program recommendation ends up being 20kg bell, best to do it with 16 !! And then figure out the right time to jump to 20 during the program. OR Do med and low days with the recommended weight and the heavy day with one size lower. if you go all days as recommended, I found that the heavy day is brutal !! good for those that can get through but I most definitely can't.

Another good approach is a dry run for a couple of weeks at a lighter weight or repeat the easy days or week. And then restart with the higher weights and program as written.

Hmmm, I have Ultra and Express, which I thnk has that squat program. I need to finish Strong after the wolf though. I think I’ll add some kind of complex as a finisher when I go back to Strong, The Olympic maybe.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I have Ultra and Express, which I thnk has that squat program. I need to finish Strong after the wolf though. I think I’ll add some kind of complex as a finisher when I go back to Strong, The Olympic maybe.
I can highly recommend doing Clean + Thrusters instead of just Clean + Press in Phase 1 of Strong. If your goal is to improve the Wolf, this may help.

Great work, doing the Wolf. What you should do next is another complex for 6 week in the book and improve your conditioning.

Here's a secret. Pick 2 of the easier? HAHA complexes. Oh Row You Don't and Clean "Em Up 2.0 for example.
Run one as a complex, one as a chain.
Alternate days of the complex 6 days a week for 6 weeks.

Great work, doing the Wolf. What you should do next is another complex for 6 week in the book and improve your conditioning.

Here's a secret. Pick 2 of the easier? HAHA complexes. Oh Row You Don't and Clean "Em Up 2.0 for example.
Thanks Brian. I need to go back and finish off Strong ( switched to Wolf to work around an injury ), but after that I think I might look at more conditioning based work ( I have lots of Geoff’s stuff ).

From memory, you do a lot of complexes don’t you? Or at least fairly regularly?. How do you find your strength levels doing them as a big part of your training? I’m only using 2x16, but my TGU max has gone up to 28 from being at 24 for a long time. That’s a pretty positive effect as well as an increase in conditioning. The “easy” days do feel easier, it’s just that the day 3 kills me haha.

I say “easy”, but it’s just that they’re less brutal than the day 3 workout

Very flat this morning for wk4 day3. Thank god only 3 rounds.

When I get back to KB strong, I think I’m going to do 2 days Strong, and my middle day I’ll keep doing the day 3 as my Wednesday workout. It’s brutal for the lungs
Funny to read that. I was considering something similar.

I did STRONG then The Wolf in 2021 and loved it. In 2023 I was considering mish-mashing things and doing alternating weeks of 2 days strong one day wolf and 2 days wolf one day strong to “stretch” the strong program.

I’m just getting into WOLF… about 2 weeks in… I’ve built a good base of strength passing simple, running ROP with 40, and having done GIANT 2.0 w 32s &25s over the summer and fall.

Doing the WOLF with 25s and IT IS KICKING MY BUTT! …But I have to say… incredible workout!!!! I’m digging it… but man this complex stuff is another level of hard!! :)

Thanks Brian. I need to go back and finish off Strong ( switched to Wolf to work around an injury ), but after that I think I might look at more conditioning based work ( I have lots of Geoff’s stuff ).

From memory, you do a lot of complexes don’t you? Or at least fairly regularly?. How do you find your strength levels doing them as a big part of your training? I’m only using 2x16, but my TGU max has gone up to 28 from being at 24 for a long time. That’s a pretty positive effect as well as an increase in conditioning. The “easy” days do feel easier, it’s just that the day 3 kills me haha.

I say “easy”, but it’s just that they’re less brutal than the day 3 workout
Yes, I probably spend 6-7 months a year doing More Kettlebell Muscle. Regarding strength levels, most of the time it goes down a little due to lifting lighter weights. For me, it's a "use it or lose it." However the one where I gained a TON of strength back was the Long Haul. 5 sets of 8-9 in 20-25 minutes will do that. Kind of like The Giant 1.2. There is real magic in high rep cleans and presses

Currently doing easy strength with kettlebells on day 24. It's working well for me. Especially today.

Yes, I probably spend 6-7 months a year doing More Kettlebell Muscle. Regarding strength levels, most of the time it goes down a little due to lifting lighter weights. For me, it's a "use it or lose it." However the one where I gained a TON of strength back was the Long Haul. 5 sets of 8-9 in 20-25 minutes will do that. Kind of like The Giant 1.2. There is real magic in high rep cleans and presses

Currently doing easy strength with kettlebells on day 24. It's working well for me. Especially today.
Thanks mate, I do think I need more conditioning, but strength stuff is fun. It’s mentally easier to do low rep heavy than high rep conditioning, but at 42, I think conditioning is probably more important for me. 2023 I’m going to cycle through more conditioning stuff.

I don’t have MKM, but with Ultra, Express, RMF, and Strong, I’ve got plenty of stuff to work through.

Totally agree on C&P, it’s a bread n butter exercise. I’m new to snatching and C&J, but they’re technique heavy, and you need to focus, whereas C&P I think gives great overall strength and conditioning but seems to be one of those movements you can just repeat over and over without stressing too much about technique once you learn it.

Gonna use a little "Geoff flavor" here

Rather than worry about more conditioning, why not widen your strength base further?? How strong (pun intended) will you be when you can run ph1 of strong with 28s and up?

How conditioned can you get if you run the giant or RMF with 28s and up???

A good friend of mine, SF team leader Piers Kwan once said "most men don't need to use anything more than 20s for kettlebell muscle"

Done. Really, I couldn’t complete it anywhere near the required rest periods, so not really a tick in the box, but I got a lot out of it and am quite happy with myself for getting through it.

Definitely do it again. It’s a good yardstick I think.

I felt terrible this morning as I slept horribly and really wasn’t keen but I actually got through it better than any other session of the whole 6 weeks.

Back to KB strong, but I think I’m going to keep this as a twice a year thing, winter and summer

Done. Really, I couldn’t complete it anywhere near the required rest periods, so not really a tick in the box, but I got a lot out of it and am quite happy with myself for getting through it.

Definitely do it again. It’s a good yardstick I think.

I felt terrible this morning as I slept horribly and really wasn’t keen but I actually got through it better than any other session of the whole 6 weeks.

Back to KB strong, but I think I’m going to keep this as a twice a year thing, winter and summer
Nice work!

Way to stick it out and finish even if you didn't get the rest periods exactly.

You mean doing one of the programs 6 days a week, instead of the written 3 days a week?

Back
Top Bottom