all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Hey guys.

I've been running Strong! Phase II The Slow and Steady for the last 10 weeks. I should mention that I started with 2 cycles of the Giant 3.0 instead of Phase I. So, i have been working with the double clean and press exclusively for 18 weeks. But life is starting to get in the way.

To wit, the first time I went for 7x5 I was able to get in the 35 reps, but the last set of 5 was actually 3+2. I have it in my log that I worked a 9 hour day (desk job), and skipped lunch. So I just kind of chalked it up to a bad day and kept at it. The next week I hit technical failure on the 5th set of 5 and stopped. Technical failure in this case was a sort of see-saw press as the one on the right went up, but the left staled and I eventually pulled it back to the rack to hit lock-out on the other side.

I thought ok, no problem, I'll just wave load back to 5x5 on the hard day, and build back up. After another 9 hour day at the office, I just did 6x5. Well, I made it. Maybe lunch helped.

My question is has anyone else ever dealt with this? Did wave loading work? Did you cut the number of days per week? Did you give up on the program until you had a less stressful time in your life?

If it is relevant I am 39 years old, using double 24 kg for the clean and press, the 24 kgs were a 7 rep max after the two cycles of the Giant 3.0, and I am gaining weight.

Hey guys.

I've been running Strong! Phase II The Slow and Steady for the last 10 weeks. I should mention that I started with 2 cycles of the Giant 3.0 instead of Phase I. So, i have been working with the double clean and press exclusively for 18 weeks. But life is starting to get in the way.

To wit, the first time I went for 7x5 I was able to get in the 35 reps, but the last set of 5 was actually 3+2. I have it in my log that I worked a 9 hour day (desk job), and skipped lunch. So I just kind of chalked it up to a bad day and kept at it. The next week I hit technical failure on the 5th set of 5 and stopped. Technical failure in this case was a sort of see-saw press as the one on the right went up, but the left staled and I eventually pulled it back to the rack to hit lock-out on the other side.

I thought ok, no problem, I'll just wave load back to 5x5 on the hard day, and build back up. After another 9 hour day at the office, I just did 6x5. Well, I made it. Maybe lunch helped.

My question is has anyone else ever dealt with this? Did wave loading work? Did you cut the number of days per week? Did you give up on the program until you had a less stressful time in your life?

If it is relevant I am 39 years old, using double 24 kg for the clean and press, the 24 kgs were a 7 rep max after the two cycles of the Giant 3.0, and I am gaining weight.
I’ve just started phase 3 with 2x24. A few times I’ve had to drop to twice a week. Still made progress.

Currently dealing with a cranky shoulder so just paused for the moment. I’ll get back to it when my shoulder is happy.

Strongly recommend doing push press if you’re struggling. Then when you feel good, go back to strict press. I have done that with success too.

It’s a lot of volume, pressing 3 times a week, a decent weight for decent reps. I’m 43, and average so sometimes I have to drop to twice a week.

@Social_Media_Hater I have run this program many times and have had success. Sometimes I have hit "speedbumps" in my training.

I have learned to take a step back and regroup. For example, I did phases 1 and 2 with 2 36s. As I "progressed" through phase 2 I noticed that there was no way I could maintain less than two minutes rest. In the past that would have driven me nuts but I realized it wasn't a great concern. I took my time and extended the rest periods. I still made gains! I'd like to improve upon what I did this time through but I'm not sure because this year after my kettlebell training lapse they feel "heavier" than before. Time will tell.

I have made it through Strong many times, starting with 28s, going through all three phases, then 32s for 2 phases then 36s for clean and push presses followed by clean and presses more than once. I tried 40s more than once but phase 2 derailed my progress big time. I now realize I'm probably geared naturally more toward low rep strength work and need a bit more rest. Phase 2 with 40s at my age now....not sure but I'll keep on trying!

As to the 36s, I'm gonna work them as long and hard as I can and I "may" at my age take @Halfakneecap advice in phase 2 and drop to twice per week training.

Hitting 8x5 means youve already made sone adaptations!

You'll rock this!

Yep, @John Grahill , low rep heavy is my jam. I can do max sets and reps of phase 2 no problem untimed, but hitting the end of phase 3 rest times is a huge challenge for me.

Anyone who has done phase 3, do you think doing one session a week with the next size down bell would help? I’d be doing it to strict time periods. I’m sure I could lower rest times on lighter bells. Say a Wednesday session, while keeping work weight on Mon Fri?.

I definitely am going to need a strategy when I get back to it.

I can only do what I can. Another 9 hour day and I skipped Friday. On Saturday, I grabbed the 28s for 10 or 11 singles and went for a walk. I think I also like low volume.

Shoulder is almost better, but I’ve worked out in the meantime, my squat needs work, so Friday I’m starting phase 1 with my 24’s. 24’s are in the light side but the 28’s I think are a bit heavy, as I haven’t squatted for quite a while.

I have worked out this morning I can clean and push press the 28’s without annoying my shoulder at all. Bit heavy just yet, but I will just do singles once a week. Will chase that up further after I do Phase 1 with the squats.

Anyone who has done phase 3, do you think doing one session a week with the next size down bell would help? I’d be doing it to strict time periods. I’m sure I could lower rest times on lighter bells. Say a Wednesday session, while keeping work weight on Mon Fri?

I struggled with phase 3 last time I ran it so I spent a few weeks running it with 5 reps instead of 6. Once I got down to 1 min 20 I started over with 6 reps. And it worked.

Yes I think you could do what you are saying.

I struggled with phase 3 last time I ran it so I spent a few weeks running it with 5 reps instead of 6. Once I got down to 1 min 20 I started over with 6 reps. And it worked.

Yes I think you could do what you are saying.
My hat's off to you guys. I haven't been able to handle phase 3. I'm just not wired for it. I did it once with 28s without having done them for phases 1 and 2 and I did it with 32s at a later run through all three phases. I just could not complete all reps with only 60 seconds between sets. I dropped the reps to 4 and 3 and added sets until I got the total reps. I hated it! ....... But it did help me get leaner and meaner for sure!

My hat's off to you guys. I haven't been able to handle phase 3. I'm just not wired for it. I did it once with 28s without having done them for phases 1 and 2 and I did it with 32s at a later run through all three phases. I just could not complete all reps with only 60 seconds between sets. I dropped the reps to 4 and 3 and added sets until I got the total reps. I hated it! ....... But it did help me get leaner and meaner for sure!
Yep, I can do all sets and reps no problem untimed but damn it’s brutal trying to work down to such small rest times

I think I’d have to really be strict with my times from phase 1 all the way to have any chance.

I can’t help but think that regular high rep C&P just eventually annoys my joints. I think I’m better off doing heavy low rep, and doing conditioning separately,

I’m going back to heavy low rep, but maybe if I can get through phase 1 and 2 with my 28’s, I might be able to then try phase 3 with my 24’s? Might work

I think I’d have to really be strict with my times from phase 1 all the way to have any chance.

That's what I had to do when I did all 3 phases of Strong! with 2x24k bells.

In the later part of Phase 1 and all through Phase 2 (Slow and Steady option) I was very disciplined about my rest time between sets. When Phase 3 began, it was challenging but it felt like a continuation of my progress from the two previous phases.

I will be putting this theory to test on the 27th when I begin another go at Strong.

This time I will be using 2x32k bells. I plan to run all 3 Phases again. So it will be interesting to see how I recover between sets. I hope to be strict about my rest periods in Phases 1 and 2 to be prepared for Phase 3.

I will be sure to let you all know how it goes.

In the later part of Phase 1 and all through Phase 2 (Slow and Steady option) I was very disciplined about my rest time between sets. When Phase 3 began, it was challenging but it felt like a continuation of my progress from the two previous phases.

I will be putting this theory to test on the 27th when I begin another go at Strong.

This time I will be using 2x32k bells. I plan to run all 3 Phases again. So it will be interesting to see how I recover between sets. I hope to be strict about my rest periods in Phases 1 and 2 to be prepared for Phase 3.

May i ask what sort of warm up or movement prep you do before your sessions?

Do you add any pulls (vertical or horizontal)?

Are there any stretches you recommend to keep your joints/muscles/tendons/ligaments healthy for such a long run of 2 movements?

Others who have done strong please also feel free to respond.

Thank you!

Beast!

I will definitely at least track my times this time.

I do really enjoy untimed though, it’s almost relaxing waiting til I’m ready to go. I find it easier mentally

Well I nutted it out but the last 6 - 10 workouts were quite unenjoyable, so Phase 3 is maybe not something I'd recommend to everyone.

Are there any stretches you recommend to keep your joints/muscles/tendons/ligaments healthy for such a long run of 2 movements?

Thank you!
For my warm-up I do the Daily Resets from Original Strength and the warm-up from Simple and Sinister. It takes about 20 minutes to complete. But..... I'm 55 and I think it's prudent to have my muscles warmed up & ready for action.

Beast!

I will definitely at least track my times this time.

I do really enjoy untimed though, it’s almost relaxing waiting til I’m ready to go. I find it easier mentally
Hahahaha! You have to do what's right for your body. I think @John Grahill has some really good insight in how to do Strong!.

I will see how I recover between sets with the 2x32k bells to see if Phase 3 will be appropriate for me on this run through of Strong.

Over this next training year, I plan to take my time with the 32s. My next training goal is to have the 32k bells be my 10RM bells. To accomplish that goal, I plan to run Strong, then Maximorum, then a form of The Giant.

I used this strategy on phases 1 and 2 (which I'll finish next week) in an "on 2:00" format. It worked very well with 2x24.
I'm still hesitating between continuing on to phase 3, which would follow logically enough, or a few cycles of Giant (but given that at the end of phase 1 I'd gone from 5RM to 12RM, I'm afraid I'll be doing a bit too much volume on Giant and will probably recycle with 2x32, depending on the tests).

Thank you!
Original Strength Performance for Press. Just remplace landmine press by Half Kneeling Press with a bell one bize below.
It's perfect!

Back
Top Bottom