all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Hahahaha! You have to do what's right for your body. I think @John Grahill has some really good insight in how to do Strong!.

I will see how I recover between sets with the 2x32k bells to see if Phase 3 will be appropriate for me on this run through of Strong.

Over this next training year, I plan to take my time with the 32s. My next training goal is to have the 32k bells be my 10RM bells. To accomplish that goal, I plan to run Strong, then Maximorum, then a form of The Giant.
I like the idea of spending time with a particular weight. I spent over a year with my 24’s, it took a while, but now, I wouldn’t say they feel light, but after playing with the 28’s this week, the 28’s now feel like the 24’s did a year ago. I think like you, next year will be a year of playing with one set of bells, though I’m at 28’s not 32’s!!

Really enjoying Geoff’s stuff, just slow steady progress.

Did my first day of phase 1 dbl rack squats with the 24’s. Cruised through it. Taking my time though, I haven’t done squats in a long time.

One thing I’ve noticed is my work capacity going right up. I now have a 4th day in the week, a sled day, and I almost always finish my workouts with a few hundred metres of 2x24 carries.

I figured this may be a good place to ask: when doing heavy clean and press, did it take a bit of practice to get the feel for the "row" with the lats?
I ask because today, during maximorum c&p 3s, I think I discovered how to load the lats, or teres minor or whatever it is, during the setup. It's not the same as loading your hammies, but a kind of stretch.

I figured this may be a good place to ask: when doing heavy clean and press, did it take a bit of practice to get the feel for the "row" with the lats?
I ask because today, during maximorum c&p 3s, I think I discovered how to load the lats, or teres minor or whatever it is, during the setup. It's not the same as loading your hammies, but a kind of stretch.
I think it kind of happens naturally but also, my cue at the start is abs on upper back on before I hike them

I doubt Teres minor would come into play as it is primarily a rotator cuff muscle. Lat for sure needs to be engaged before hiking the bell. You can feel the difference in engaging the lat and not in your clean. If you've engaged your lats properly the clean will feel very connected with your hip drive. if not, I would expect one to use more arms to clean the bell. Hope that makes sense.

Hi,

Got a question.

I have an earlier version of Strong and was wondering if anything had changed in the program (ie should I splurge and get an updated version)?

In the version that I have, Phases 1 and 2 are self regulating with regards to rest times. In Phase 3 it works down from 120s to 60s. I've got a feeling that these may have changed.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Got a question.

I have an earlier version of Strong and was wondering if anything had changed in the program (ie should I splurge and get an updated version)?

In the version that I have, Phases 1 and 2 are self regulating with regards to rest times. In Phase 3 it works down from 120s to 60s. I've got a feeling that these may have changed.

Thanks in advance
That sounds like the current version to me.

Hye,
End of phase 2, @2x24kg, 2 times a week, in addition to 4-5 running sessions.
On 2:00 for all sessions (so about 1:30 rest for sets of 6)
5RM became 12RM at the end of phase 1, and 15RM of phase 2.
Very happy with the results!
Test @2x32 10 minutes later: 2rm (but clearly tired from the set of 15...)
Different options for the next few weeks:
- phase 3 starting from 120 sec rest
- Giant 1.0 keeping pace 4/5/6
- Giant 1.1 or 2.0, @50% RM
With a switch to a 3/week pace, eliminating running for few weeks, focusing on strength
The aim is to move on to a 5rm at 2*32 to get Strong back on track.
Maybe 1.0-2.0-1.1-1.2 +/-3.0@2*32
Any advice for the best strategy?
(I only have one kb of 28)
Thanks!

My training has been a bit rubbish recently. Achieved a C+P 6 rep max with 2x24kg a few months ago courtesy of the Giant 3.0 and haven't really pushed on since with training inconsistent and not really to a dedicated program, more just barely keeping myself ticking over. Haven't tested but suspect that rep max will have slipped to about 4.

I'm often a victim of paralysis by analysis unable to choose which program to commit to or even what my goals need to be so decided to embrace what always works, Neupert programming and clean and press for awhile.

As such I'm going to run phase 1 and phase 2 (the slow version) consecutively for 24 weeks of training where I don't have to think about anything apart from the sets for each day. Phase One should take me just beyond where I previously was (I've not done more than 24 reps in a session with these bells before) so I'll run it in a small deficit ideally to drop some fat over that time. Then hopefully move to bit of a surplus in Phase Two to build some muscle when the rep counts start to go up.

Any success stories of running the two back to back like this? I'm not planning on doing any assistance work as I suspect keeping it simple will keep me on track but if anyone thinks that's a mistake please shout.

Last edited:
My training has been a bit rubbish recently. Achieved a C+P 6 rep max with 2x24kg a few months ago courtesy of the Giant 3.0 and haven't really pushed on since with training inconsistent and not really to a dedicated program, more just barely keeping myself ticking over. Haven't tested but suspect that rep max will have slipped to about 4.

I'm often a victim of paralysis by analysis unable to choose which program to commit to or even what my goals need to be so decided to embrace what always works, Neupert programming and clean and press for awhile.

As such I'm going to run phase 1 and phase 2 (the slow version) concurrently for 24 weeks of training where I don't have to think about anything apart from the sets for each day. Phase One should take me just beyond where I previously was (I've not done more than 24 reps in a session with these bells before) so I'll run it in a small deficit ideally to drop some fat over that time. Then hopefully move to bit of a surplus in Phase Two to build some muscle when the rep counts start to go up.

Any success stories of running the two back to back like this? I'm not planning on doing any assistance work as I suspect keeping it simple will keep me on track but if anyone thinks that's a mistake please shout.
I wouldn’t run it concurrently, it ends up a lot of volume. Definitely not if you’re eating under maintenance, although if you eat more as the reps go up as you mention you should be ok.

Just do it as written imho. I find at the end of phase 2, I have to drop to twice a week sometimes as it can get brutal if you’re not used to lots of C&P ( I’m much better at low rep stuff ). But, stick with it and you’ll get there. I struggled with phase 3, bailed on it, but I went from 24’s to now c&push pressing 28’s. That was with a few pauses in phase 2 ( minor niggling issues I had to sort out ). It definitely works as written. It’s a long haul imho but worth it.

As such I'm going to run phase 1 and phase 2 (the slow version) concurrently for 24 weeks of training where I don't have to think about anything apart from the sets for each day. Phase One should take me just beyond where I previously was (I've not done more than 24 reps in a session with these bells before) so I'll run it in a small deficit ideally to drop some fat over that time. Then hopefully move to bit of a surplus in Phase Two to build some muscle when the rep counts start to go up.

I loved Strong and will definitely do it again. I found though that I had to drop to 2 days a week in phase 2 when the rep count was higher. That said I am also 64 years young so not sure as your recovery is probably better then mine is. Concurrently running both phases of Strong for me is a non-starter...

As such I'm going to run phase 1 and phase 2 (the slow version) consecutively for 24 weeks of training where I don't have to think about anything apart from the sets for each day. Phase One should take me just beyond where I previously was (I've not done more than 24 reps in a session with these bells before) so I'll run it in a small deficit ideally to drop some fat over that time. Then hopefully move to bit of a surplus in Phase Two to build some muscle when the rep counts start to go up.

That’s the way I ran Strong the first time. Phase one then immediately into phase two slow and steady.
I turned my 3-4 rep max into a ten rep max by the end, the ran phase two short version after that.
I’m pretty sure Geoff designed it that way as long as you can handle the volume once the reps start getting up there.
I was 54 the first time I ran it and I only missed about a half week near the end because of the flu, came back and repeated that one week and the first session back I also had to do singles but that’s the only hiccup I had for about 7 months of it.

More gushing reviews. This year has been the 24’s. Recently tried phase 3, bombed, and annoyed my shoulder. It’s warming up here, so I’ve switched and giving Q&D a go as my main work through to dec, with the idea of starting the year with Strong, with my 28’s, which are heavy to me.

But I’ve kept one day a week as maintenance C&P. Playing with my 28’s. In only a few sessions, I went from 20 singles with C&PP, and this morning on rep 4, thought I’d just strict press them. Straight up!!. Next 20 reps I was able to strict press them comfortably.

By January 1st, I’ll be well and truly ready for Strong. And with Q&D 3 x a week til then I should be a bit leaner I hope. At least better conditioned anyway.

I’d like to retry phase 3 next year though. At least with a better base of conditioning. It’s brutal !

Hi,

Got a question.

Thanks in advance
@NickZed - No. There is no updated version. You're good with what you have.

I have to thank Geoff for reviving my fitness life. I have no cartilage in my left shoulder and thought that C&Ps were off the menu and that S&S would be it for me. S&S kept me fit for anything normal life could throw at me, but I didn't exactly like how I looked in the mirror.

I bought "Burn", not knowing that the C&P (and snatch) were in it. As I approached the phase that had the C&P, I thought about how I could TGU heavy, without pain, and thought I might be able to side press. I loaded a backpack with just the right amount of weight and practiced that, until I could side press my 16kg bell.

When the C&P came into the program, I got a lot of practice and my "side press" started getting more an more upright, turning into a military press with a wiggle, then finally a strict MP. After I was finished with Burn, I could press my 24kg with the left side, for a single. This was great because I had been so weak on that side.

Excited by this development, I purchased Giant and started it with a single 16kg. In the mean time, I kept reading how the program really delivered the goods with doubles. I was also seeing Geoff's new videos on YouTube. I saw him talking about how restricted range of motion kept many people from doing double presses, so I worked on that. I also ordered some adjustable competition bells and purchased "Strong" so I could learn how to use them.

I finished Giant 1.0 with the 16kg and went into Strong with the double bells. Since they are adjustable, I was able to dial the weight in to just what I needed - 18kg for a 4 rep max. The early workouts in phase 1 were easy and I was taking all the time I needed to recover. It really ramped up at week 5 though; that week was a shock. After week 5 is when I started noticing some changes in the mirror.

Now I am on Wednesday of my week 8, my last week of phase 1. I had a little too much fun on the holiday weekend and had to do my 10x3 workout on Monday with a hangover. I made all my reps, and actually was pushing the pace because I just wanted to get it over with. I know Geoff said you might gain just a bit of muscle in phase 1, but I was surprised by how much my biceps, of all things, grew. It must have been from the cleans, but those didn't really feel strenuous compared to the presses.

I'm looking forward to the hypertrophy phase. Despite being 50, I'm going to be hardheaded and attempt the short course. I figure if it's too much I can switch over to the same week of the longer one. I really want to get back to the Giant, with doubles, but I might need another round of Strong to work on my doubles technique before moving to a higher rep program.

tldr: Thanks Geoff!

Back
Top Bottom