all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

End of week 2 of phase 2. Workout 6. Done all sets of 4 but it took everything out of me, as played basketball yesterday and twisted my ankle. Left foot is very swollen and it bothers me sooooo much. Woke up, took painkillers and done my workout. Was hurtful. Had to adjust cleans and try to protect foot/calf. Thankfully it’s weekend so can work on being better by Monday.
Have a good weekend everyone.

Phase 2 / Workout #7 - weight felt very heavy and my foot still bothers me. Taped it and did workout in 24 mins. Triples becoming very easy to press.

Ph2W8 - sets of 4
Muscling up cleans a lot just to protect my ankle.
Interesting how 11 weeks ago I was doing total of 40 reps in a week and next week I’ll do 40 reps in 1 workout.
Good workout, good food. Going for a nap!

Did anyone take a break or deload period between phases? I'm going to run Strong! when i finish up WOD in the fall.

I haven't taken any breaks between phases. I literally did the first 9 weeks of WOD before starting KB Strong. I'll be starting my last week of Phase 2 Monday. I'm also doing the short course with the last workout of week 3 today. Which I can tell you is a quick volume hit and requires plenty of recovery. However at 45 years old (46 Monday) it's still going relatively smooth. I think you'll be fine without resting between phases. Especially the long course variant. I'm waiting until the end of the last phase before I do a different program for deload. Possibly S&S for a few weeks.

Thanks for the input, DC. I'm almost 43, so I'll definitely do the long version. I'm giving strong consideration to using C&J, rather than C&P

Reactions: DC3
Did anyone take a break or deload period between phases? I'm going to run Strong! when i finish up WOD in the fall.
I did take a deload week between phase 1 and 2. And I’m actually taking couple additional deload weeks even during phase 2 (long version). I’m doing the program with 32’s and phase 2 feels really taxing even though I try to emphasise recovery. I feel that I need the deload weeks especially because I’m doing just one exercise with relatively heavy weight, so it might be good to have some light variety during deload weeks in order to avoid any overuse injuries.

Reactions: bgn
End of week 3 of phase 2. Slow & Steady - Workout 9.

My ankle gets better; still “grinding” clean to protect it, but it’s all better. This is the last week where I do less than 100 reps per week and I must admit that I’ve made the right choice to do slow and steady.

Due to muscling up my cleans I have irrational phobia about tearing up my biceps. Don’t know why, don’t ask me.

I’m crashing a little bit and trying to eat more lately. When it comes to foodon workout days I’m finding beneficial to eat the following at the moment:

Post workout: 2 large chicken breasts, basmati rice, avocado, cucumber, tomato, cilantro, lime, onion, peppers salad

6 hrs later: grilled fish, potatoes, green veggies

weather affects my appetite as it is above 30°C/90°F all the time in TX now so trying to get some extra calories via milk and kefir and some nuts or fruits etc.

End of week 3 of phase 2. Slow & Steady - Workout 9.

My ankle gets better; still “grinding” clean to protect it, but it’s all better. This is the last week where I do less than 100 reps per week and I must admit that I’ve made the right choice to do slow and steady.

Due to muscling up my cleans I have irrational phobia about tearing up my biceps. Don’t know why, don’t ask me.

I’m crashing a little bit and trying to eat more lately. When it comes to foodon workout days I’m finding beneficial to eat the following at the moment:

Post workout: 2 large chicken breasts, basmati rice, avocado, cucumber, tomato, cilantro, lime, onion, peppers salad

6 hrs later: grilled fish, potatoes, green veggies

weather affects my appetite as it is above 30°C/90°F all the time in TX now so trying to get some extra calories via milk and kefir and some nuts or fruits etc.
I agree with the "slow and steady" version of Phase 2. It's a winner! Yes hunger hits after those workouts!

Phase 2 / Workout #10. Had a whole weekend of rest. Barely got out of bed and either iced my leg or kept it elevated or both. Today's workout was a lot better. Still, tape on my leg to keep it together but could explode and it made a huge difference in me being able to zip it up and tense before pressing. Was awesome, the weight felt light and I was doing sets of 4.

One thing is for sure - no way you can survive phase two without armbars.

Phase 2 / Workout #11: triples become what singles were at the same stage during Phase 1. Ankle still slightly bother me but I decided to check something and reduced my rest to 60 seconds. so work:rest was 1:2 and whole workout was over in 14 minutes. I was trashed after workout, can't imagine how someone can do last workout of Phase 3 with such a short rests and so many reps.

Phase 2 / Workout #11: triples become what singles were at the same stage during Phase 1. Ankle still slightly bother me but I decided to check something and reduced my rest to 60 seconds. so work:rest was 1:2 and whole workout was over in 14 minutes. I was trashed after workout, can't imagine how someone can do last workout of Phase 3 with such a short rests and so many reps.
Oh yes, phase 3 is really challenging, but you will manage it!

Yes, and look at it like this ... the final workout of phase 3 with 60 second rests ... with a weight that was at one time a very tough 4 rep max!

Phase 2 / Workout #12. That’s first time in my life when I’ve done 12 weeks of weight training cycle (Phase 1: 8 weeks + Phase 2: 4 weeks so far). Ankle is still bothering me, will be resting it a lot but positive side of all of that is that my upper back and arms are growing. Especially upper back. Done all sets (4 reps) with 2 mins of rest and didn’t struggle at all.
still doing reverse crunches, planks, arm bars etc.

Phase 2 / Workout #13: doing all sets of triples with 60 seconds break gets easier. Will stick to that rest time for now.

So here’s another unexpected benefit: yes, I get stronger but surprisingly my “tank” is getting larger as well. I’ve decided to have more efficient warmups and started doing complexes with 2x24kg to get the blood flowing and I’m not gassed at all.

I'm thinking about adding a few easy sets of cleans after my DCP sets are finished, for technique practice. I might constrain this to easier days. I don't really plan to program this, other than to keep it easy. What do you think about this idea?

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm not too happy with this idea, after thinking about it more. I don't really want any more "workout" after a KBS! session. I can get a good amount of technique practice out of the main sets, themselves.

The whole reason I chose Slow & Steady was to give my body plenty of time to recover and sneak up on higher volume and, eventually, weight. Adding more sets of anything on the end of a session seems like a slippery slope into burning myself out. I'll hold off on that idea for now.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about adding a few easy sets of cleans after my DCP sets are finished, for technique practice. I might constrain this to easier days. I don't really plan to program this, other than to keep it easy. What do you think about this idea?

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm not too happy with this idea, after thinking about it more. I don't really want any more "workout" after a KBS! session. I can get a good amount of technique practice out of the main sets, themselves.

The whole reason I chose Slow & Steady was to give my body plenty of time to recover and sneak up on higher volume and, eventually, weight. Adding more sets of anything on the end of a session seems like a slippery slope into burning myself out. I'll hold off on that idea for now.
Hey Erik - how are you? were you trying to address just technique or something else as well? I see you've changed your mind but in case it helps: couple of years ago I had problems with getting cleans/snatches up so after each and every workout I was grabbing very heavy (for me) bell and doing 3-5 sets of 3-5 deadstop swings. Just tried to let it rip and make bell float as much as i could and generate power from 455/hips. That worked very well for me across period of 2 months or so.

Phase 2 / Workout #14: first time doing sets of 5. took me 18 minutes to go through whole workout. Really like warming up with complexes. 2 sets, 60-75 seconds of TUT. rest 5 mins and start my strength workout.

Very hungry after workout and ready to go and sleep :)

@bgn , it's funny that you mention the 3-5 sets strategy. I saw something similar in an email today from Geoff about adding 2-3 sets of 5 squats at the end of a session, if a trainee wants more direct leg work.

To answer your question, I mainly wanted a little more technique practice on the clean. I might consider adding two or three sets of 5-10 reps with my DCP training weight. Heck, 5 reps per set would probably do the trick for practicing without burning out. Even that might be too much, if I contemplate my next Phase 1 weight, when I get to it.

I also hadn't considered the dead-stop version. I just don't want to hinder my progress in the main lift or otherwise screw up my recovery. The simplicity of this program appeals to me, too: show up and do the work. I would prefer not to add complexity where it isn't needed.

Back
Top Bottom