all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance "Lactate is a great fuel for neurons"

In this video, section "Lactate vs. Lactic acid" 16:38, George Brooks Ph.D. describes Lactate as a "pretty strong acid".

This topic has really sparked my interest as there is also the comment from the host, Rhonda Patrick Ph.D., in regard to the neurons preferring Lactate and the relevance of this to ADHD.

This is a wonderful video. Great explanations by very knowledgeable people. Great appreciation for how articulate and a great interviewer Dr. Patrick is. She gets a lot of flack for promoting mechanistic studies into advice and guidance (without the proof of trials towards real outcomes), but she is so good at explaining studies and what they might mean. I think she's wonderful.

I think I've heard of Dr. George Brooks but this is the first time I've listened to him that I remember. Love his explanations and expertise.

Thanks for sharing this!

This is a wonderful video. Great explanations by very knowledgeable people. Great appreciation for how articulate and a great interviewer Dr. Patrick is. She gets a lot of flack for promoting mechanistic studies into advice and guidance (without the proof of trials towards real outcomes), but she is so good at explaining studies and what they might mean. I think she's wonderful.

I think I've heard of Dr. George Brooks but this is the first time I've listened to him that I remember. Love his explanations and expertise.

Thanks for sharing this!
Based on her most recent Facebook post (in mid-December, 2023) here is what Patrick currently supplements with:

Vitamin D3: 5,000 IU in the morning
Omega-3s: 4 to 6g (2 to 3g morning; 2 to 3g evening)
Pure Encapsulations O.N.E. Multivitamin: In the morning
Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate: 125mg at night
Life Extension Vitamin K2: In the morning
CocoaVia Cardio Health (uses both capsules and powder at times)
Life Extension PQQ : 20mg/day
Pure Encapsulations Alpha Lipoic Acid
Thorne Berberine: 1 serving (1,000mg in total)
Pure Encapsulations Lutein & Zeaxanthin: 1 capsule (10mg lutein; 2mg zeaxanthin)
Ubiquinol: 100mg/day
Pure Encapsulations RENUAL
Liposomal Glutathione: Only on weekends Couple of squirts

L-Carnitine

Of course. Many times training ideas that work have theories that are disproved. A hypothesis or theory is only as good as its ability to predict.
Agreed. You can have several hypothesis that fit the data but, eventually, the spurious ones fall by the wayside after empirical testing.

I hope this question isn't too off topic: if age related declines in recovery ability (you can't do the same routines in your 50s as your 20s) are caused by age related declines in your body's ability to clear exercise related waste by products, it stands to reason that anything which reverses those declines (however temporary) should improve your recovery ability? I'm thinking now specifically of the mitochondria. I realize that getting on Vitamin S, TREN et all will of course enable you to work out 6 days a week, so I'm excluding those substances. Outside of sodium bicarbonate mentioned above, I'm thinking of Nitric Oxide boosters before a workout (beet extracts). Caffeine, of course, is pretty well studied. But, for example, if you were able to boost your body's anti oxidant system (from levels in your 50s to those more like your 20s or 30s) it would seem to me that you would notice a boost in your recovery ability, if not your day to energy, per se. And that shouldn't interfere with the inflammation/recovery cycle, because you're simply winding back the age clock

I think the biggest factors in age related declines are going to be hormonal responses, tissue quality in the tendons and joint surfaces (possibly increasing cortisol), cardiovascular capacity influences from arterial and venous quality of the actual plumbing declini g with age, age accumulated decline in the quality of the alveoli from environmental insult.

I'd think raw ability to buffer blood pH and antioxidant defense would be further down the list and something that should improve simply by increasing exposure.

Thanks for sharing this!
I think some of the flack she gets is because there are differences of opinion based on clinical experiences with some of the things she's recommending, but I agree that people who can explain science well to neophytes are rare. I kind of chuckle that she's recommending liposomal glutathione for dealing with alcohol - I've known about it since 2019 and can't believe its taken this long for someone to let the cat out of the bag.

From Dr. Kelly Starrett, New York Times bestselling author and movement optimist

“We are a little obsessed with how easy it is to layer PR lotion into some of our tough weekly efforts. We used to have to drink it and it wasn’t great. Now we just rub PR Lotion into larger muscle groups prior to big efforts to enhance performance and decrease DOMS after intense training. It’s called PR lotion for a reason. Go faster and be less sore? You can see why we like it.”

From Dr. Kelly Starrett, New York Times bestselling author and movement optimist

“We are a little obsessed with how easy it is to layer PR lotion into some of our tough weekly efforts. We used to have to drink it and it wasn’t great. Now we just rub PR Lotion into larger muscle groups prior to big efforts to enhance performance and decrease DOMS after intense training. It’s called PR lotion for a reason. Go faster and be less sore? You can see why we like it.”
Will add it to the experiment list . Do some back to back smokers and apply to half of body after.

Here is an overview of the state of play of mitochondria in health and disease:

Authored by the mito man Inigo San Milan....

Yup, lactate foe neurons (been known for some time) but the author, whilst acknowledging many unknowns, stresses often the application of exercise as medicine across different populations is dose dependent....the prescription.

Anyway, covers a lot in a very accessible piece of quality science writing.

Back
Top Bottom