all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Yesterday’s practice: 12/15/21
Off day training, jump rope, mobility, tgu (couple heavy ones too), swings (2h and 1h), hangs, all randomly when i had time or felt like it. Took the videos just to show bret my xero shoes and redeem myself!
Swings
Swing/cleans

Yesterday’s practice: 12/15/21
Off day training, jump rope, mobility, tgu (couple heavy ones too), swings (2h and 1h), hangs, all randomly when i had time or felt like it. Took the videos just to show bret my xero shoes and redeem myself!
Swings
Swing/cleans
I've been interested in Xero shoes for a looong time for the sole durability, from what I read they're good but they can get slippery on wet surfaces. What is your experience with them? My favorites are Merrell Vapor Gloves v3 for minimal shoes and Trail Gloves for a little extra padding.
Since starting doing minimum of 3.5 mi daily locomotion and pushing monthly miles up from there I had to use padded sole shoes much more. Heels are now starting to settle a bit, gonna take awhile to find a balance there.

@Bret S. I like them, but the sole has detached from the shoe on two pairs of “prios” that I’ve had. The second pair was given to me for free after I complained about the first (so good customer service). From what I hear this is their entry level shoe and they get better as you go up. This is also my forat pair of true minimalist shoes so I have nothing to compare to. Overall, i like them and would recommend. They feel good and i had run a lot of miles in my first pair, the sole is super hardy, it’s the actual shoe quality I’d be concerned about.

@Bret S. I like them, but the sole has detached from the shoe on two pairs of “prios” that I’ve had. The second pair was given to me for free after I complained about the first (so good customer service). From what I hear this is their entry level shoe and they get better as you go up. This is also my forat pair of true minimalist shoes so I have nothing to compare to. Overall, i like them and would recommend. They feel good and i had run a lot of miles in my first pair, the sole is super hardy, it’s the actual shoe quality I’d be concerned about.
Thanks Larry, that's good information.

Today’s practice: 12/16/21
Was asked to help out with afternoon recess’ so i had to delay my main session. During the recess’ though i got some gratuitous mobility and warm up circuits in, consisting of; jump roping (new part of my self prescribed rehab), box/bench pistols (also rehab), farmers carries (gait training/rehab), did some walking backwards as well, prying goblet squats, and some fat bar (bar that holds up bball net) dead hangs. I liked it and will start doing these things on recess more often. I need to make these things as important in my program as anything. A lot of times the kids seeing an adult doing those things gets them excited/interested and then they’re doing stuff with me. Or they just keep playing, win win.
Got the main ROP (5x(1,2,3) c&p, with some pull-ups to go with em’) medium session in after the after school program was out and it was just my kids. Things felt good, i feel as though the form is starting to come together. Thank you all again!
2nd ladder
This one actually felt pretty dang good!
5th ladder

Last edited:
Things felt good, i feel as though the form is starting to come together. Thank you all again!
2nd ladder
This one actually felt pretty dang good!
5th ladder
Lookin good man!
A smallish point here, when SFG testing they were very big on pulling the elbow back when racking and un-racking the bell (I practiced this before testing, learned it from Geoff Neupert). I like the elbow pullback when racking as it really feels smooth, coming out of the rack using an elbow pullback only drops the bell straight down and makes it difficult to load it back far enough in the hinge, especially on heavier cleans. I prefer a slight elbow bump forward when dropping the bell, that guides it into a nice, tight arc and makes it easy to 'load the spring' for the next rep.

Look at the 1st video, on the left hand you're coming out of the rack nicely. On the right side you're initiating the drop with a shoulder raise.. just an FYI in case you hadn't noticed. You can see the right side action in the 2nd video.

I really like the sound of that. The straight down drop can cause a snap sometimes, or i wont relax my elbow/arm enough to catch/control it. Now to find a way to do it without succumbing to old habits.
I did notice a bit of a raise, but not the disparity in the two. Ty, keep em’ coming! Any cues/suggestions for that elbow bump? I’m trying to get a deeper/more squatty hinge if anyone has any cues/pointers on that as well.

Last edited:
Today’s practice: 12/18/21
ROP heavy day; 3x(1,2,3,4), 2x(1,2,3) c&p @55#
Some pullups and dead hangs/scalp pulls to go with em’.
Was feeling pretty fatigued, did quite a few farmers (forwards and backwards) carries yestErday as off day training and forgot i had to walk my bell home if i wanted to use it in the morning. Luckily i had help….other off day training included assisted bench pistols and rom exercises for my feet/ankles.
1st ladder
Really see that shoulder shrug now….
2nd ladder
3rd ladder
Took a big break before the last rung of the 3rd ladder. Was feeling the fatigue and tendinitis in my right forearm/elbow acting up. That’s what led me to the break and using more hangs/scalp pulls.

Last edited:
I really like the sound of that. The straight down drop can cause a snap sometimes, or i wont relax my elbow/arm enough to catch/control it. Now to find a way to do it without succumbing to old habits.
I did notice a bit of a raise, but not the disparity in the two. Ty, keep em’ coming! Any cues/suggestions for that elbow bump? I’m trying to get a deeper/more squatty hinge if anyone has any cues/pointers on that as well.
I use a slight wrist flex from the rack and forearm bump the bells away just enough to drop into the arc path at the top, just play with it and you'll find what works for you.

Squatty can be used for some things but not what I recommend for you in this endeavor, pushing the rear end back and feeling hammies tighten like bowstrings is what really works, then you can use the stored energy to easily hoist the load. Press the big toe into the floor and stay solid on your heels as you hinge back, it gives a very stable platform and eliminates power stealing wiggles.

Took a big break before the last rung of the 3rd ladder. Was feeling the fatigue and tendinitis in my right forearm/elbow acting up. That’s what led me to the break and using more hangs/scalp pulls.
You're showing improvement through mindfulness, fatigue relaxed you more in the last video and technique looked more natural. Too much fatigue can lead to tweaks so beware of that, I cut the session if it gets that way.. better to fight another day type thing.
One other thing is in the last video your T-spine was straighter going into the hinge, try and 'elongate' the torso, or at least have that thought in mind when hinging, it will yield more power and control.

Doing good overall!

Thanks again @Bret S. I have been practicing that (spine elongation) more in day to day stuff. I’ll keep it in mind with the ballistics more too. I agree that i need go he more natural/relaxed. My theory is that I’m driving in new habits now so that when I’m back to a“natural” approach it will be hardwired in.

Thanks again @Bret S. I have been practicing that (spine elongation) more in day to day stuff. I’ll keep it in mind with the ballistics more too. I agree that i need go he more natural/relaxed. My theory is that I’m driving in new habits now so that when I’m back to a“natural” approach it will be hardwired in.
Yes, the good reps will feel great and 'stick'. in the brain, it's a long and worthwhile process.

Today’s practice: 12/20/21
ROP light day; 5x(1,2) C &P @55#, most of the pull-ups to go with em’.
Finished it off with some 1H swings 10x10 @55#, s&s/talk test style.
1hL1
1HR1
1hL2
1hR2
Was home with the son today who wasn’t feeling well and temp rised slightly so we kept him home. Let me get some stuff done around the house and even get some groceries. Decided to try put the dbl cleans later in the day for fun, finished off with some dbl kb sq too. They were on the lighter side (16/20k, i have no matching bells), but still difficult, i liked it. I think i want to run dry fighting weight after this ROP session. Then maybe back to some soju and tuba to try and peak for a new pr (hopefully the 40k).
Dbl cleans

Yesterday’s practice: 12/21/21
Mobility, rehab (mostly pistols too and from a bench and jump rope), other random things as well. Got in a little practice with the dbl cleans on my lunch too.
Today’s practice: 12/22/21
More mobility and rehab (ankle and foot ROM), working in my single leg deadlift too. The instability on my left side is much more noticeable coming off my broken foot (hence all the aingle leg work).
ROP medium day: 5x(1,2,3) c&p @55#
Broke it up i to two segments since i forgot about my son/schools zoom presentation tonight. As the PE teacher I had helped a lot of the classes with their choreography and movements with the songs. Did 3 ladders then an hour or so break and two more ladders. Finished off with 10x10 2hs with the 55#. Going for fast overspeed eccentric q&d style, felt good and snappy!

Today’s practice: 12/20/21
ROP light day; 5x(1,2) C &P @55#, most of the pull-ups to go with em’.
Finished it off with some 1H swings 10x10 @55#, s&s/talk test style.
1hL1
1HR1
1hL2
1hR2
Was home with the son today who wasn’t feeling well and temp rised slightly so we kept him home. Let me get some stuff done around the house and even get some groceries. Decided to try put the dbl cleans later in the day for fun, finished off with some dbl kb sq too. They were on the lighter side (16/20k, i have no matching bells), but still difficult, i liked it. I think i want to run dry fighting weight after this ROP session. Then maybe back to some soju and tuba to try and peak for a new pr (hopefully the 40k).
Dbl cleans
Larry, what's going on with the right shoulder? It's the one that pops when pressing?

One hand swings on the right show big time shoulder guarding, it makes your body tense up during swings. The shoulder is held forward when swinging and is assisted by traps helping and raising to compensate it appears.
Try a lighter weight on the right side and swing with the shoulder held down and back more.. see if you can eliminate the problem by going lighter. Pack the shoulder back and in place and forget about it, concentrate on using tension in the right places while remaining relaxed. The bell could go further back on the downswing for both sides, it gives much more power that way.

Double cleans are smoothest of all your cleans, keep repping for practice.. doing good bro

Double cleans are smoothest of all your cleans, keep repping for practice.. doing good bro
I noticed that too (y) .

SF recommendation aside, I normally don't pull the elbow back when cleaning. I just keep it tight to my ribcage, barely breaks contact at any point, just a little at the top as the bell comes in for a landing and right after rolling it out and away. Doing heavy doubles I keep them positively welded in place.

Ya, I’m really having issues with the right side, probably the cause of or at least related to my elbow tendinitis as well. I’m happy to be conscious of it and working on it though, thanks all. I agree about the doubles and belling down from r swings. The 2h 24k felt good last night.

@Bret S. I wonder if i just need a wider stance? I feel as though i get the bell back further with the doubles and 2h work, both of which have a wider stance. Idk what to do about my shoulder though, I’ll focus on packing it back and down more. @North Coast Miller, maybe you’re right and i need to focus on keeping my elbow glued to me more.
Today’s practice: 12/23/21
Bike ride to go get my covid booster since chicago is going the way of LA and NYC. Totaled around ten miles, had fun felt good. I love getting out in the world and moving, I’ve missed it more than i had realized.waved and said hi to people, messed around with teenagers that tried messing around with me. Tried to just keep a positive vibe and attitude and spread it around. I want to start biking more as part of my rehab as well. Hopefully get in some mobility stuff tonight. Merry Christmas/happy holidays all!
377D520A-43F8-4732-ADB3-871BAE842509.jpeg
42374EE8-808B-45F2-8DF4-0662AA73527C.jpeg

I like the top pic.. "Cruisin along on LSD, Friday night trouble bound" :)

I like to keep the arms tight to the torso also, play with your stance a bit and see what feels right, it can be awhile until you find the right groove.. you're not doing anything wrong, just giving you a tip on power production through increased ROM.

I figured you would get a kick put of that one. Was right at Fullerton on the lake front path.
Today’s practice: 12/24/21
ROP heavy day; 4x(1,2,3,4), 1x(1,2,3), now things are getting serious…
Had some pretty good success applying previous suggestions. I think i externally rotate my right shoulder more before the press and the drop. Internally rotating it more (gs style rack?) allowed me to at least lessen the shoulder raise. Was trying to keep my arm pinned down as well. Had to quit doing pull-ups halfway through, the hand flexor muscles were getting strained. Good stuff overall! Merry Christmas to all!
4th ladder L
4th Ladder R
This one actually felt better than it looked, still improvement i say.

Back
Top Bottom