all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Today’s practice: 3/27/22
More wood splitting for an outdoor fire, got a quick 50 snatches in too.
10x5 untimed a+a
First snatches in a while so critique away!

These are some swings from last week too.

Got in some more snatches after dinner. Being home i over indulge and needed to burn some off.
4x10

Today’s practice: 3/27/22
More wood splitting for an outdoor fire, got a quick 50 snatches in too.
10x5 untimed a+a
First snatches in a while so critique away!

These are some swings from last week too.

Got in some more snatches after dinner. Being home i over indulge and needed to burn some off.
4x10

Couple things Larry, snatches look pretty good.. swings could be better re posture, try and stand taller in the plank with head up straight, you have time for this during the 'float' phase of the swing.. if you reference the pic of Pavel on the cover of S&S 1st edition, try to mimic his erect posture. The plank can be done while looking somewhat relaxed.
For A&A swings, 6 or 7 reps are a better fit for work duration if you want to try them out?

Couple things Larry, snatches look pretty good.. swings could be better re posture, try and stand taller in the plank with head up straight, you have time for this during the 'float' phase of the swing.. if you reference the pic of Pavel on the cover of S&S 1st edition, try to mimic his erect posture. The plank can be done while looking somewhat relaxed.
For A&A swings, 6 or 7 reps are a better fit for work duration if you want to try them out?
I was thinking the same thing, I hadn’t been filming and thought i could stand taller on those and head up straight. Do you think i was leaning back at all/too much? I think I’m gonna do a snatching block and then come back and rededicate myself to swing form like we did with cleans.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing, I hadn’t been filming and thought i could stand taller on those and head up straight. Do you think i was leaning back at all/too much? I think I’m gonna do a snatching block and then come back and rededicate myself to swing form like we did with cleans.
Larry, just lean at the ankles and let the weight of the bell you are swinging dictate the angle.. Let physics answer your question.
That's a 24K bell right? Personally I think you could use a heavier bell, heavier weight is instructive on its own. Do you have a 28k bell? The 32 might be too much while perfecting form, though I think you're plenty strong enough for it.

edit:
After watching the swings again it looks like the bell is bigger than a 24K..?.. Upon retrospect I think that weight is a good one for you, so long as you dial in your form. I also didn't realize you were swinging on the 30 second mark, in that case five reps would be fine. My thinking is more along the lines of A&A.

Larry, just lean at the ankles and let the weight of the bell you are swinging dictate the angle.. Let physics answer your question.
That's a 24K bell right? Personally I think you could use a heavier bell, heavier weight is instructive on its own. Do you have a 28k bell? The 32 might be too much while perfecting form, though I think you're plenty strong enough for it.

edit:
After watching the swings again it looks like the bell is bigger than a 24K..?.. Upon retrospect I think that weight is a good one for you, so long as you dial in your form. I also didn't realize you were swinging on the 30 second mark, in that case five reps would be fine. My thinking is more along the lines of A&A.
It’s a 32k, i do want a 28k but that’s luxury issues rn. It’s kinda a+a from the bjj protocol. I’ll come back to the swings soon and do a lot of taping, it was too hard to tape a lot OT30. Gonna go back to more OTM, was planning on the 40k, bit prolly stick with the 32 till my form is better.

Today’s practice: plenty of michigan chores: feeding the horses, stocking the barn full of grain, hauling firewood, etc. My ma had hip surgery and my brother and sister have been shouldering the work, trying to get a lot done while I’m here.
5.15 mile run with the dog, run 3, walk 2 x12
040D829E-AE70-4942-A7CA-B6BCB1072B53.png91527686-FDEB-4C67-8E25-5241BE988BF9.jpeg
There’s a little shot of Canada for ya there @offwidth

Today’s practice: 3/30/22
Drove back to Chicago from Detroit yesterday so I took the day off. Felt much better sleeping in my own bed and getting a good nights sleep. Getting back on the road today to head to Starved Rock with the fam and wifey this time. Forecast says rain so prolly more indoor water park than hiking but that’ll make the kids happy anyways. Got a nice snatch session in before taking off.
3x5 gsq @32k superseted with hang-pullup-brachiate to supinated grip-chin up-brachiate back
Snatch pyramid @24k L/R
3-4-5-6-7-8-7-6-5-4-3; 66 each side, 132 total.
Did this out on the sidewalk and would walk half the block and back between each set. Felt really good.

How does ice climbing compare? Seems to be a very different animal.
I know nothing, but they used to do it at an outdoor wall/gym i went to in Lincoln park. It’s much more about the gear from what I’ve seen. You wear spiked out ice cleats and then theres the pick too. Looks slow and grueling.

I know nothing, but they used to do it at an outdoor wall/gym i went to in Lincoln park. It’s much more about the gear from what I’ve seen. You wear spiked out ice cleats and then theres the pick too. Looks slow and grueling.
Those thoughts on it mirror mine.. exactly what I was thinking. Climbing takes a good amount of expensive equipment, you can't cheap out when your life literally hangs in the balance.

Not to hijack Larry’s log too much…

No brace

The spiked foot gear are known as crampons. There are some specialized ice-climbing boots that have this integrated into the boot, but mostly it is a frame that clamps securely to the welt of your boot. The frames are rigid as is the sole of the boot (for the most part) (there are flexible crampons as well but these are more for general mountaineering and glacier travel)

And oh boy is there calf fatigue! Forearm as well. Do 1,000‘ of front pointing up a steep ice wall and you will know what I mean. But like anything else… you train up for it…

Back
Top Bottom