all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Not to hijack Larry’s log too much…

No brace

The spiked foot gear are known as crampons. There are some specialized ice-climbing boots that have this integrated into the boot, but mostly it is a frame that clamps securely to the welt of your boot. The frames are rigid as is the sole of the boot (for the most part) (there are flexible crampons as well but these are more for general mountaineering and glacier travel)

And oh boy is there calf fatigue! Forearm as well. Do 1,000‘ of front pointing up a steep ice wall and you will know what I mean. But like anything else… you train up for it…
That's what I thought, sounds extremely brutal.. especially for my tender little calf muscles :p

@offwidth, you have carte blanche in my log, @Bret S. too.
Today’s practice: 3/31/22
3.7 mile trail run at starved rock, almost 700ft of elevation gain for this flatlander!! So much fun!
Running up to St Louis canyon was awe inspiring, I was the inly soul out there too. All the bald eagles were nested up out in an island at starved rock too.
9CE6ACA0-CBB2-47A9-A975-45C4E364D1FC.jpeg01DCD408-CF92-4CBF-A93C-97BA5B01D347.jpegF88BCA91-9E2B-49FB-A10B-86708A411794.jpeg

@offwidth, you have carte blanche in my log, @Bret S. too.
Today’s practice: 3/31/22
3.7 mile trail run at starved rock, almost 700ft of elevation gain for this flatlander!! So much fun!
Running up to St Louis canyon was awe inspiring, I was the inly soul out there too. All the bald eagles were nested up out in an island at starved rock too.
View attachment 16825View attachment 16826View attachment 16828
Did you ever see that documentary about the so called “Starved Rock Murders”?

Today’s practice: 4/1/22
Lots of swimming and stairs the past couple of days doing water slides with the eldest. Between that and starved rock, watch said i did 67 flight of stairs yesterday, lol. Freestyle (stroke) sprints were very fun and tiring. Made the kids hike out to St. Louis canyon too. Drove back to Chicago (suburbs) and picked up the mutt and got some snatches in.

3x5 gsq, superseted with tgu, all @24k.
Lost count a bit, but something like;
20x5 single arm snatches @24k, alternating of course. Time to get serious about taping again!

Yesterday’s practice: 4/2/22
A lot of my hang/pull/brachiate routine throughout the day and some other mobility stuff. Also a lot of dad/coaching duties, overall very active and play based. Tested out the 40k press again to see if any of the rop gains were lost. Same results, stalled on left, went up pretty dang easy on the right.
Today’s practice: 4/3/22
Another dad duty day filled with unpacking/tidying after our extended trips. Had more itches to scratch with the 40k too. So i did:
3x5 gsq, superseted with a tgu each side between sets. Finished off with some swings, very low volume. Was fun and satisfying. Back to work tomorrow.

Today’s practice: 4/4/22
Woke up and took the dog for a nice easy run (2 miles below maf), i just realized i have a 10 mile trail race (chicago trail…) actually has some decent elevation (670ish). So, I’m trying to add in some miles and start the day off right.
Back to work and my new mat area in the gym is a big hit! Coached a lot of gymnastics/ tumbling skills.
Starting a new training block today as well, i feel competent enough in my snatches to start an 044 block of Q&D. Will run this for 4-6 weeks, following dice roll protocol to determine volume, maybe rep scheme eventually, and maybe even to determine between 044 and 033 but will be focusing on snatches for now.
Warm up:
3x5 gsq @32k
1/1 tgu @20k with one set of cossack squats in there too.
Rolled a 6 on day 1! However, i cannot follow instructions and did 5.5 rounds to get the L/R even, 120 total reps, 60 each side @20k.

Last edited:
Today’s practice: 4/5/22
5.75 mile run, run 3 walk 2 x 13, last 4 intervals at race pace.
F6FF6362-71C9-4DA8-BF6C-A8FA73ABC57C.png
Tennis practice with fellow PE students, this was pretty fun (i never play) and very active, requires agility and coordination. We’ll be playing racquetball ball too!
5.5 mile ride home before work.
New game in my PE class; poison ball, brings together all of the ball handling skills we’ve been developing.

Very cool. I have much sympathy for your training space then, cold weather outside and small houses in that part of town :)

Very cool. I have much sympathy for your training space then, cold weather outside and small houses in that part of town :)
T’is small, but I’ve made do. My wife started going back to the local Y (right down the street) but I won’t go back. I have all i need (12, 16, 20, 24, 32, 40k’s and a little adjustable kb, plus a pull up bar.) I’m lucky enough to have it all on an enclosed back porch, the cold is rarely enough to make me go inside though. Threw down a rubber mat and some other things and I’m good to go. Your set up does look dope though. We’re very on the fence about the suburbs, we don’t want to but it may be a necessity one day.

Today’s practice: 4/6/22
Flexible steel routine with the children
Quick walk/jog to the store to get my posh pup her logs of primo dog food, which led to loaded carries on the way back.
Legs were feeling the new stimulus of high intensity snatches from qnd plus running so I scaled back the weight on my warm up gsq.
Wu:
3x5 gsq plus 1/1 tgu all @24k
QnD 044 day two we rolled a 5, so 4 rounds of 5/4 @20k.
This program is tough and the last time i did it i was way out of my league. I did not approach it with the intensity or speed required and i can really feel the difference this time, my shoulders and forearms are pretty smoked.

10/2 format is even better for that.. haha
Definitely not ready yet, although the dead starts add more work too (i know there’s some debate over what’s “harder”). I was not snatching as hard last year. It’s pretty cool to see the progress I’ve made revisiting this. I’m a lot stronger and more proficient in all of my movements. Your coaching on the clean is really carrying over to my snatch too. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom