all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Definitely not ready yet, although the dead starts add more work too (i know there’s some debate over what’s “harder”). I was not snatching as hard last year. It’s pretty cool to see the progress I’ve made revisiting this. I’m a lot stronger and more proficient in all of my movements. Your coaching on the clean is really carrying over to my snatch too. Thank you again!
Great to hear Larry! You're welcome good sir.

Today’s practice: 4/7/22
5.5 mile run to class; 4 run, 1 walk x 14.
Had to take some extra time walking to let my hr fall back down and definitely had to slow things down a bit today. I feel like this has been happening every time i step up to the next run in the program, so hopefully next time it will be easier.
Played spike ball in a peer taught lesson, it was fun and i have the equipment for it at my school. Something to consider.
5.5 mile ride home/work
Flexible steel routines in my PE classes and carried on with poison ball. Idk if it’s appropriate for the kindergartners, but 1st/2nd seem to be getting it.

Today’s practice: 4/7/22
5.5 mile run to class; 4 run, 1 walk x 14.
Had to take some extra time walking to let my hr fall back down and definitely had to slow things down a bit today. I feel like this has been happening every time i step up to the next run in the program, so hopefully next time it will be easier.
Played spike ball in a peer taught lesson, it was fun and i have the equipment for it at my school. Something to consider.
5.5 mile ride home/work
Flexible steel routines in my PE classes and carried on with poison ball. Idk if it’s appropriate for the kindergartners, but 1st/2nd seem to be getting it.
My charming wife was a karataka and a lunch room detention supervisor at an elementary school (in Illinois). When kids were acting up during lunch she made them do push-ups and jumping jacks… until word got back to ‘little Johnnys’ parents that is…

My charming wife was a karataka and a lunch room detention supervisor at an elementary school (in Illinois). When kids were acting up during lunch she made them do push-ups and jumping jacks… until word got back to ‘little Johnnys’ parents that is…
Haha, I’m at a private lutheran school so i am given a bit more leeway in most regards. My oldest student is in second grade though (and my daughter) but I don’t let them get away with much.

Last edited:
Shame isn't it?

I just finished Jordan B. Peterson’s 12 rules for life, which was fan-freaking-tastic. Two big cues he gives on child rearing is not to let your kids be someone you wouldn’t like to be around, and that you can either raise them to be safe or strong. You can always tell the kids that get coddled at home and that the children either crave or unfortunately cannot handle discipline. I was speaking to a colleague about it just this morning.

I just finished Jordan B. Peterson’s 12 rules for life, which was fan-freaking-tastic. Two big cues he gives on child rearing is not to let your kids be someone you wouldn’t like to be around, and that you can either raise them to be safe or strong. You can always tell the kids that get coddled at home and that the children either crave or unfortunately cannot handle discipline. I was speaking to a colleague about it just this morning.
After raising three kids I can give a little advice. If you want your kids to feel safe they need to have some guardrails and discipline, if not they flail in the wind. I treated my kids firmly yet respectfully, firmness when applied improperly can be damaging. Whatever discipline you impose upon your kids has to make sense.. Also, it needs to be perceived as 'fair'.
My eldest daughter used to slam her bedroom door if she got mad, I warned her to stop or there would be consequences.. She didn't so I took the door off the hinges haha... no more door slamming problem :)

After raising three kids I can give a little advice. If you want your kids to feel safe they need to have some guardrails and discipline, if not they flail in the wind. I treated my kids firmly yet respectfully, firmness when applied improperly can be damaging. Whatever discipline you impose upon your kids has to make sense.. Also, it needs to be perceived as 'fair'.
My eldest daughter used to slam her bedroom door if she got mad, I warned her to stop or there would be consequences.. She didn't so I took the door off the hinges haha... no more door slamming problem :)
Yes, the safe or strong cue is over simplistic, but rings true. I agree with what you say, i have to catch myself that i do not lose my temper and make the discipline unfair or unjust.

Last edited:
Yes, the safe or strong cue is over simplistic, but rings true. I agree with what you say, i have to catch myself that i do not lose my temper and make tue discipline unfair or unjust.
Yes, that's the trick I believe, keeping our own emotional baggage out of there.

I've come to despise the word 'safe' when it comes to kids.. Coddling kids causes them to grow up weak, needy and lacking in real self esteem.

Yes, that's the trick I believe, keeping our own emotional baggage out of there.

I've come to despise the word 'safe' when it comes to kids.. Coddling kids causes them to grow up weak, needy and lacking in real self esteem.
Yes, another rule from Dr. Peterson that I forgot is; “don’t bother children while they’re skateboarding!” Aka, let them engage in risky behaviors without constant interference. This is one of the main reasons I constructed my matted area in the gym. It lets the kids het a little “risky”, without being “dangerous”.

Yes, another rule from Dr. Peterson that I forgot is; “don’t bother children while they’re skateboarding!” Aka, let them engage in risky behaviors without constant interference. This is one of the main reasons I constructed my matted area in the gym. It lets the kids het a little “risky”, without being “dangerous”.
'Hey.. teachers! Leave them kids alone haha

Full flexible steel routine and OS resets with my PK 4 crew.

Mid day accessory work
Grip/brachiation work with leg raises. These are starting to get much higher and closer to the bar.
3x5 gsq. One set normal, one set super slow, one set super fast.
Trying to remember to incorporate these hurdle lunges from a recent article. Supposed to be good for hip health/strength and runners stride/kick. Only using a 9k rn and it’s fairly challenging, tried at 18k and it was super tough. Tested out some pistol squats as well, these have really improved too.

Last edited:
So I know Martin asked this before too, but I’m going to pull the trigger on a chest HRM. Especially since I’m basing a bunch of my training off of it. So @offwidth what do you use? I was looking at garmin stuff, but the reviews look like they are short lived. Should i juat go affordable with polar or wahoo and expect to replace it in a year or two? Any input is appreciated from you all.

Edit: disregard, i found the old thread. Will my hr polar h10 hr data display on my Garmin watch though? I’m ordering one anyway.

Last edited:
Today’s practice: 4/9/22
Wife is off on a marathon weekend with her lady friends, so another daddy weekend. Grateful that we are between soccer seasons though. Got to take them to our church and help set up, participate in, and tear down the easter egg hunt and coinciding festivities.
Got home and did:
3x5 gsq @32k
Dead hangs w/ brachiation
1/1 tgu @32k
4 rounds of QnD 044 @20k
I cannot get myself to do uneven sets with my arms…rolled a 2 today and just did 4 rounds instead of 3. Feels good!

Additional family bike ride to the park later on, finally looking like spring (today)!

Last edited:
My mental trick for doing uneven sets when I roll them during Q&D cycles is that since I start with my Strong arm, doing an extra set on that side is never going to hurt, helps to keep things even with the Stronger.

Back
Top Bottom