all posts post new thread

Less is More

Up 5:15, training 6:30

Training day: 3.1

Warm up: TSM1, D.D, Gob sq x 3, SF Hip Bridge x 2, Halo x 2
The brettzels are a heavy hitter for t-spine mobility, but throwing in the TSM1 routine hits it nicely too.
Learning to relax in the downward dog, as opposed to stretching. Feels nice.

Great session! I do have one question for you though. What is the TSM1 routine? I am working towards the brettzel, doing arm bars at the moment, but I haven't heard of this TSM1 routine. Can you please share this information?

Haha... yeah notorious, that one was filmed in my office for a student, but I guess I have let it loose to the public :)

This is a series that I learned from Master SFG Karen Smith that she calls the "Thoracic Three" and originally learned from her physical therapist.

My top leg should be more at 90 degrees. Bottom leg can be (should be?) out straight, in line with the torso.

Notice the rib-pull --- this works great!!

I will have to incorporate these into my warm-up routine. Thank you for sharing this video. A big thank you to the famous (notorious) @Anna C for yet another informative video.

It's 3 movements you do on the floor that help loosen up your t-spine. They really help unsticky your upper back if you work at a desk all day long.
Here they are, demonstrated by the world famous (notorious?) @Anna C:

Yesterday:
Long walk outside in the lovely weather, GTG gob sqs, evening stretching.

Today:
No KB's this morning; fasting. Likely another nice walk this evening; projected 80 degree weather!

Up 5:15, training 6:30

Training day: 3.3

OHS:
32k x 10s x 10r
Int: 1:00

TGU:
5s x 1r
Int: 3:00

Woke up this morning looking leaner than I ever have. Got out the measuring tape and confirmed. It's exciting to make some solid progress here!

Opposite arm focus on TGU worked great again.

Up 5:15, training 7:00

Training day: 3.4

THS:
24k x 10s x 10r

TGU:
24k x 5s x 1r

The past 3 Thursdays have been tough training session. Maybe cuz it's close to end of week, or where it falls between the fasts. Even switching it to a light day, it was still fairly challenging. With that said, this was a good session.

Up 6:00, training 8:00

Training day: 3.6

Warm up: Br, D.D, Gob sq x 3, SF Hip Bridge x 2, Halo x 2

THS:
24k x 10s x 10r

TGU:
32k x 5s x 1r

Since I bought a bigger shoe and my feet are healing, my calves are much more engaged. Especially noticeable on the swing, where I feel as if my legs were oak trees growing out of the ground.

Up 6:00, training 8:00

Training day: 3.7

Warm up: Br, D.D, Gob sq x 3, SF Hip Bridge x 2, Halo x 2

OHS:
24k x 10s x 10r

TGU:
24k x 5s x 1r

Ran the OHS today to focus on the plank and playing chicken with the bell. These two skills are not as strong as they could be.
With the TGU, keeping the non-working shoulder packed is recruiting my upper back more. It feels strong and smooth.

Training week summary:
  • I've found a good balance between my #1 goal of losing bodyfat and and #2 staying strong.
  • I'm feeling some fatigue in my lower back and knees from close to a 20% calorie deficit, but this happened last time. Par for the course!
    • The evening GTG goblet squats and 90/QL stretching has been important to managing fatigue.
  • My get-ups are improving nearly every session.
  • This week I averaged 15% carbs...slowly moving the needle down and feeling better as I go along.
    • A little bit of digestive system hysteria from eating more fat and protein, but not unmanageable.
Template for the coming week:
upload_2017-5-21_10-33-8.png

Last edited:
Up 6:30, train 7:30

Training day: 4.1

Warm up: D.D, Gob sq x 3, SF Hip Bridge x 2, Halo x 2

OHS:
32k x 10s x 10r

TGU:
5s x 1r
24, 24, 32, 32, 32
Planned one set of 32k, easily did three!

Swing Focus:
Breath control always. Also, getting a deeper back swing than I was comfortable with and moving the bell faster than comfortable with.

Get-up Focus:
80% contraction in the non-working shoulder and my abs. This was perfect; enough tension to stabilize the spine and smooth the movement.

Great session! I wasn't comfortable by any means, but everything was moderate. I am thankful to have this kind of practice while in a calorie deficit!

I really enjoy the QL/90 stretches in the evening. After sitting all day long, they restore me. I know they are designed to target the sides of the back, the hips, and the lower back...but where they bring relief to me is in my lower abs. Of course the back/hips/low back are tied to the lower abs, but I get a palpable feeling of relief in my lower abs.

My abs feel short and tight when I get home from work sitting all day. After only two rounds of QL/90 stretches they feel powerful and flexible.

I slept in Wednesday and Thursday. So, I decided to make the most of it and take a 3 day deload. Did not fast Thu-Fri either. Glad I did, training felt good today and a few dings and dents worked themselves out. For the next month, I'm going to only use tea pre-training; no MCT oil or BCAAs. Inspired by this -> t-nation article.

Up 6:30, train 9:00

Training day: 4.6

OHS:
10s x 10r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24
Int: 1:15 -> increased by 15 seconds

TGU:
5s x 1r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24
Int: 3:30 - > increased by 30 seconds

This was an enjoyable training session. All around moderate, from rest intervals to weights. In fact, I may be able to do this 5x a week even with two days of fasting. So playing around with one of two templates for next week.

Version 1: 3 Moderate days, 2 Light days:
upload_2017-5-27_10-36-52.png

Version 2: 5 Moderate days:
upload_2017-5-27_10-36-52.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-27_10-37-51.png
    upload_2017-5-27_10-37-51.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 5
Up 6:00, train, 7:30

Training day: 4.7

OHS:
10s x 10r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24
Int: 1:15

TGU:
5s x 1r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24
Int: 3:30

After:
Leisurely walk in the park

Swing Thoughts:
Lats were sore; when I reach back further than comfortable with working-kb-arm and hips, they engage much more strongly.

TGU Thoughts:
Strong focus today on power breathing and staying light on the bent back foot.

Another moderate, enjoyable session.​

Interesting on the get-ups, remember how I noticed you roll farther than most on onto the bottom shoulder? Levi does it too (video). Must be good. :)

Back
Top Bottom