all posts post new thread

Less is More

Up 7:00, train 9:45

Training day: 5.1

Warm up: D.D, Gob sq x 3, SF Hip Bridge x 2, Halo x 2
Before the last set of goblet squats, I've been doing a set of 5 two hand swings...
Also, for preworkout I'm using a cup of black tea soon as I wake up, plus a vivarin tab before warm up.

OHS:
10s x 10r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24
Int: 1:15

TGU:
5s x 1r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24
Int: 3:30

Swing Thoughts:
Noticed that the KB was getting hung up in my shorts on the back swing, forcing me to allow the bell to swing lower than optimal. I've been training in a pair of oh-so-sexy under armor compression briefs the last few days - makes a big difference! I'm able 'hike pass' better, and reach back with the bell. And I can 'play chicken' with the bell far better.
A small, silly sounding thing that made a difference!

Get-up Thoughts:
I'm impressed how focusing on keeping the non-working shoulder tight smooths all the lumps out of every transition. Still have some more fine tuning around keeping the working shoulder positioned inline over the lats.

I decided to run with Version 2: 5 Moderate days. It feels great to sync the swing and get-up together. Plus, I get to play with the 32k every session :)
upload_2017-5-29_11-35-23.png

I am reading through your log, and a question struck me. What exactly is your "diet" plan? I see where you take days off for fasting, but in your log, you show you consumed 2600 calories. Can you post what your eating regimen looks like?

Can you post what your eating regimen looks like?
Here is the full template with training and nutrition.
upload_2017-5-31_10-26-8.png
  • Macros roughly 15% carbs, 60% fat, 25% protein
    • I'm working my way to all meat/zero carb
  • I eat tons of red meat at home, and chipotle most lunch work days
    • Lots of bacon cheese burgers w/brioche bun
    • Lots of ribeye steaks
    • Lots of ny strip steaks
    • Lots of eggs and bacon
    • Burrito bowl/white rice/black beans/double chicken/mild salsa/cheese/guac :)
  • NO SWEETS
  • Little in the way of refined carbs, except when I have a pizza during the week :)

Up 5:30, train 7:00

Training day: 5.3

Warm up: D.D, Gob sq x 3, SF Hip Bridge x 2, Halo x 2, a few THS

OHS:
10s x 10r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24

TGU:
5s x 1r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24

I enjoy hitting the 32k every training day. Should be able to build up to all sets again on the calorie deficit soon. Then my fat loss will accelerate.

Last edited:
So you are following a keto plan and hitting the macros, or is it more of an intermittent fasting plan with one full day fasting every week, aligning with the macros?

Here is the full template with training and nutrition.
View attachment 3138
  • Macros roughly 15% carbs, 60% fat, 25% protein
    • I'm working my way to all meat/zero carb
  • I eat tons of red meat at home, and chipotle most lunch work days
    • Lots of bacon cheese burgers w/brioche bun
    • Lots of ribeye steaks
    • Lots of ny strip steaks
    • Lots of eggs and bacon
    • Burrito bowl/white rice/black beans/double chicken/mild salsa/cheese/guac :)
  • NO SWEETS
  • Little in the way of refined carbs, except when I have a pizza during the week :)

@Michael Scott - there are two fasts. Mon-Tue and Thu-Fri. Both run from lunch to lunch (24 hours). I got the idea from the book Eat Stop Eat, by Brad Pilon. Highly rec'd.

I'm not following any 'diet' plan, keto or otherwise. These macros are where I happen to be at the moment. The more fat and meat I eat, the better I feel. I started a year ago with 35% carbs. I've slowly cut the carbs over time.

Recently I've come across Shawn Baker and his all meat/zero carb idea. I've been heading that way for a while; at some point I might give it a hardcore run.

Up 5:30, train 7:00

Training day: 5.4

Warm up: D.D, Gob sq x 3, SF Hip Bridge x 2, Halo x 2, a few THS

OHS:
10s x 10r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24

TGU:
5s x 1r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24

June 1st already...I gotta stop slacking and get things done!

Up 6:30, breakfast 7:00, haircut 8:30, train 11:00

Training day: 5.6

Warm up: Gob sq x 3, SF Hip Bridge x 2, Halo x 2, a few THS

OHS:
10s x 10r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24

TGU:
5s x 1r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24

Left hip was a bit stiff today. And I was sore overall; probably just from training so late today. But this was a good session still.

End of last week/beginning of this week I played around with the Leangains style fasting:
16 hr fast / 8hr feed.

I made my last meal before 7pm, and then just broke my minifast at 11am. So...I just skipped breakfast and controlled my calorie intake for lunch and dinner.

Might be an easy way to create a calorie deficit, without the after fast day soreness from a full 24hr fast.

Up 5:30, train 8:00

Training day: 5.7

OHS:
10s x 10r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24

TGU:
5s x 1r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24

Swing Focus:
Swinging back further than comfy, transfering weight to heels on back swing, moving faster than comfy.

Get-up Focus:
Keeping the bent leg slightly less bent...sounds silly but it made it easier to keep a tall spine, moving slower than comfy.

Cooldown:
100 deep breaths laying on my back, leisurely walk in the park

I need to double down and lose another inch of body fat around my waist. I'm going to trial run a week of 15% deficit (2300 cals/day), 5x training days, and daily 16 hour fasts. I'll set it up so that I just skip breakfast...that way I still go to bed with a full belly. My theory is that skipping breakfast will be an easy way to create a deficit, and that the 8hr feeding window will let me still get 2-3 satisfying and belly filling meals. If next week goes well, I may go down to a 20% deficit on the two days off.
upload_2017-6-4_11-15-54.png

I feel a huge nap coming on.

Today:
Planned day off.

If this 15% deficit + 16/8 IF + 5x training days works well, I'm considering running it 7 days a week. This morning I felt good, like I could of trained.

But, one variable at a time! Will run my current plan for a few weeks and then reassess.

Up 5:15, train 6:45
Training day: 6.3
Warm up: TSM1, D.D., Gob sq x 3, SF Hip Bridge x 2, Halo x 2, a few THS

During yesterday's evening stretching, I did a round of TSM1 before I did my QL Straddle stretching...wow!

OHS:
10s x 10r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24

TGU:
5s x 1r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24

Swing Focus:
  • Reaching back with the working kb hand, while keeping abs tight/spine tall.
  • Since the working side gets pulled forward, I worked on pivoting that side back.
    • This helped me arrest the backward movement of the bell with my hamstrings, and store more energy.
      • Which really made the bell pop up beautifully!
      • And removed all the stress from the elbows
TGU Focus:
  • The calorie deficit always seems to impact my joints the most. I've been experiencing creaky knees in the TGU.
    • Today I learned that if I wait a moment in the lunge position, I can cure it if I:
      • Grip the ground with my toes
      • Root to the ground with my entire foot and lower leg
      • Brace the abs up hard
      • Put my hips under me
    • Finally, stand up smoothly and with absolute mastery of self
My overall movement quality is getting better every day. Training feels good!

Up 5:30, train 6:45
Training day: 6.4
Warm up: TSM1, D.D., Gob sq x 3, SF Hip Bridge x 2, Halo x 2, a few THS

OHS:
10s x 10r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24

TGU:
5s x 1r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24

Same focal points as yesterday. Seriously, training is feeling really good.
Swing Focus:
  • Reaching back with the working kb hand, while keeping abs tight/spine tall.
  • Since the working side gets pulled forward, I worked on pivoting that side back.
    • This helped me arrest the backward movement of the bell with my hamstrings, and store more energy.
      • Which really made the bell pop up beautifully!
      • And removed all the stress from the elbows
TGU Focus:
  • The calorie deficit always seems to impact my joints the most. I've been experiencing creaky knees in the TGU.
    • Today I learned that if I wait a moment in the lunge position, I can cure it if I:
      • Grip the ground with my toes
      • Root to the ground with my entire foot and lower leg
      • Brace the abs up hard
      • Put my hips under me
    • Finally, stand up smoothly and with absolute mastery of self

Non-Stop Swing Testing

Up 5:30, train 6:45
Training day: 6.6

THS:
16k x 10
24k x 5
32k x 50
Link to Video
Caught myself gasping through my mouth at rep 40, so I shut it down at rep 50.
I have never swung this bell two handed before.

TGU:
5s x 1r
24, 24, 32, 32, 24

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO BE ALONE
A smart-aleck newspaper columnist recently made fun of the “guys who bench a lot and then stare at the wall.” You have missed the point, champ. These gents have their act together. You should have made fun of the nerdlings who “update their profile” and tweet about their chicken sandwiches between their sets of “Bulgarian split squats.”​

"NERDLING." New favorite word!

Nice non-stop swing set! 50 reps is awesome for the 32kg, and those are great swings.

Pavel says try sniffing in twice on the downswing during the non-stop swings. S&S p. 86, "Take a double sniff of air on the way down -- sharply, so your nose gets narrow. It will make a big difference."

Back
Top Bottom