all posts post new thread

Luis’ Training Log

Thank you! The meet is August 3. The five events are Axle deadlift and press both events for reps. There is a keg over bar, Hercules hold, and 35’ Zercher yoke carry for fastest time. I’m not too worried about. It’s going to be nice to focus on getting stronger under the bar while mixing in some kettlebells and such. I think my plan is going to do something like easy strength. That way I will basically do the deadlift and press daily and some form of carry every day, maybe sandbag over bar once per week, with some a wheel stuff or dips. I just plan to keep it super simple and see what I can do come time for the competition.
Sounds like a good time (and a good plan). Do you have straps and an axle to practice on?

The only thing in there that looks "technical" is the axle clean and press. The continental clean is a bit rough if you don't practice it. So don't neglect that.

Sandbags over bar and sandbag front carry will transfer great to zercher carry and keg over bar though.

Sounds like a good time (and a good plan). Do you have straps and an axle to practice on?

The only thing in there that looks "technical" is the axle clean and press. The continental clean is a bit rough if you don't practice it. So don't neglect that.

Sandbags over bar and sandbag front carry will transfer great to zercher carry and keg over bar though.
Yeah I do have longer straps and an axle. I agree with the technical aspect of the continental clean and press. This is why I wanted to do an easy strength type cycle so I could work on those daily. The event requires a clean before each press. I have been deadlifting on it once per week over the past 5 or so weeks. I plan to attend the strongman gym I trained at before for some coaching. And there is also a really good USA weightlifting coach within about an hour of me that I have worked with before that I look forward to getting back in with. Both of those coaches helped me quite a bit. I appreciate the tips!

My plan is basically to do axle clean and press, deadlift, zercher or back squat, ab wheel or dips, and some form of carry daily. Then once per week OTM training with sandbags. And I will get some conditioning in with swings, jerks, or snatches. Maybe warm up with some heavish kb presses so I can maintain that quality.

Last edited:
Force Recon Protocol by Pavel

Force Recon: Workout - Extreme Endurance and Strength
Day 1
-Weighted pull-ups -5x5
-Alternate the pull-ups with cleans and presses (military, not push presses!) -2x24kg KBs, also 5x5
-Rock bottom front squats with a one second pause -2x32kg KBs -5x5
-Snatch with a 32kg KB -5 sets, hard but not to failure
-Alternate the snatches with strict hanging leg raises -5 sets
Day 2- rest Day 3
-One arm C&Js with a 32kg KB -10 min, play it by ear
-Heavy abs -5x5
-Pull-ups -100 total
-Alternate pull-ups with front squats, sets of 10 with 2x24kg KBs
-Snatches or swings with a 24kg KB -alternate sets of 10-20 with 90m jogs (not sprints! the jog is for recovery) for as long as you can handle it
-Cough up a hairball!

I'm going to give this a go to boost up my conditioning for a few weeks. The only thing I will have to tweak is the 100 pull ups since I think my elbows wouldn't like that. But maybe switch from dips, push ups, and pull ups for a total of 100 between the 3 exercises would be more feasible.

4 weeks go as such:

Week 1: ABA
Week 2: BAB
Week 3: ABA
Week 4: BAB 50%

Force Recon Protocol by Pavel

Force Recon: Workout - Extreme Endurance and Strength
Day 1
-Weighted pull-ups -5x5
-Alternate the pull-ups with cleans and presses (military, not push presses!) -2x24kg KBs, also 5x5
-Rock bottom front squats with a one second pause -2x32kg KBs -5x5
-Snatch with a 32kg KB -5 sets, hard but not to failure
-Alternate the snatches with strict hanging leg raises -5 sets
Day 2- rest Day 3
-One arm C&Js with a 32kg KB -10 min, play it by ear
-Heavy abs -5x5
-Pull-ups -100 total
-Alternate pull-ups with front squats, sets of 10 with 2x24kg KBs
-Snatches or swings with a 24kg KB -alternate sets of 10-20 with 90m jogs (not sprints! the jog is for recovery) for as long as you can handle it
-Cough up a hairball!

I'm going to give this a go to boost up my conditioning for a few weeks. The only thing I will have to tweak is the 100 pull ups since I think my elbows wouldn't like that. But maybe switch from dips, push ups, and pull ups for a total of 100 between the 3 exercises would be more feasible.

4 weeks go as such:

Week 1: ABA
Week 2: BAB
Week 3: ABA
Week 4: BAB 50%
Looks brutal.

Wednesday, May 1.

Morning recharge: some mobility and 24kg waiter walks.

GTG: 24kg bottoms up carries and presses. My left side is weaker than my right on the carries.

Tomorrow is my birthday. I turn 38. I’m thinking of doing something like 19 two hand swings with 56kg followed by 19 One arm 32kg snatches and then a victory bourbon+cigar. We are headed to Tennessee for the weekend for a family trip so it should be nice. And will hopefully get in some trails in the smoky Mountains. I’m taking a 24kg with me just because I’m feeling a little motivated after being put to shame on my conditioning from my training partner at the Cert. It’s a healthy motivation though.

Back
Top Bottom