all posts post new thread

Mars Attacks!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Good points, @Tim_Randolph. The Simple standard is a worthy goal and not doing the program as written is just making my journey more lengthy and difficult. :) And I will try to find a way to log my sleep at least somewhat accurately. The Oura ring sounds great. But 300€ is too expensive. Last night I went to bed at 23:00 or so and the first time I looked at my phone was at 7:00 or so. But total amount of sleep was definitely shorter than 7 hours. Would be interesting to know by how much...

Also did a short little workout today.

Day 20, 8. March 12:00
-Warmup
-One Handed Swings: 16 kg, 10 sets of 10
-Circuit with Push Ups, BW Row, Box Pistol Squat Progression, Calf Raise: (1,2,3,4,5) x 3 = 45 reps each

Sorry about the delay. Was pretty busy.

Day 21, 9. March 6:00
-Warmup
-TGU: 16kg, 5 singles per arm

Day 21, 9. March 19:00
-10 Minutes Jump Rope

Day 22, 10. March 6:00
-10 minutes Jump Rope

Day 23, 11. March 6:00
-10 minutes Jump Rope
-Circuit with Push Ups, BW Row, Box Pistol Squat Progression, Calf Raise: (1,2,3,4,5) x 3 = 45 reps each

Day 24, 13. March 6:00
-SnS warmup

Day 24, 13. March 18:00
-10 minutes Jump Rope
-Circuit with Push Ups, 16kg KB Row, Box Pistol Squat Progression, Calf Raise: (1,2,3,4,5) x 3 = 45 reps each

Day 25, 14. March 9:00
-SnS Warmup
-10 minutes Jump Rope

Ok, another week done. Next week I might be off from work. No idea if we have a system for telework in place. I asked earlier this week. All we had was a single work phone and no info how to access our servers remotely. Well, no info has reached us so far except that we might be off from work next week. Not my problem. But given that we have hired a bunch of people last fall I doubt we could close the office for long. But I suspect that I might get infected (or have already been infected) anyways. I spend a lot of time in public transport and one of my work colleagues has spent 2 weeks in northern Italy and south Tirol and only came back last Thursday. I asked him if he could stay at home for a while because we have been hit by both flue waves over the winter. So yeah for that.

And I think I might need to change how I log my workouts here. Just listing what exercises I have done for how many reps is not all that great to keep track of things.

Oh, and I have bought a cool book about Jump Rope training from Buddy Lee. It's simply called Buddy Lee's "Jump Rope Training", 2nd edition and has a lot of great progressions. A summary can be found here:

First day in soft lockdown here in Vienna. I am off from work because I have to take public transport. GF went to work because she can walk there. All in all a pretty boring day. Didn't get a lot of things done and skipped my jump rope training. Didn't want to bother the neighbors and did some hindu squats instead. 5 sets of 50 got me huffing and puffing.

Other than that I played some games, ate some crap food (Pizza) and did some housework and shopping. The shops have been able to restock a lot of the stuff that was sold out last weekend. Maybe we won't need to live off canned food and pasta after all :D

Day 26, 16. March 9:00
-SnS Warmup
-One Handed Swings: 17,25 kg, 10 sets of 10
-TGU: 17,25 kg, 5 singles per arm

Day 26, 16. March 16:00
Circuit: Push Ups, 17,25 kg KB Row, Calf Raise, Hindu Squats, Ab Wheel, Neck Bridge: 5 sets each

Last edited:
Day 2...home alone again. Did try to find a spot to do my jump rope training but all parks were closed and I was too chicken to jump the fence. Finally found a soft spot 20 minutes from my place.

Day 27, 17. March 6:00
-SnS Warmup

-10 minutes Jump Rope

Today my GF is staying home as well. My employer still hasn't managed to set up a proper system for home office (email only) so we have little to do.

Day 28, 18. March 7:00
-Warmup

Day 29, 19. March 18:00
-Warmup

Day 30, 20. March 8:00
-Warmup

Just a quick one. The S&S workouts this week all felt super easy. No idea if it is because I spend all time at home or because I didn't do calisthenics. Sleep, diet and stress are pretty much the same. I don't want to abandon the calisthenics but I think in the long run it will be better to focus on getting to Simple first. Jump rope training is only on hold temporarily. The parks are closed and with everyone stuck inside I don't want to bother my neighbors by jumping inside. :D

Another thing I noticed is improved grip strength and shoulder mobility. While working at my desk (at work and now at home) I like to stretch by hanging from a pullup bar every hour or two. And this has become a lot easier. Front delt and pecs(?) always felt a bit painful and my grip started to slip after 30secs or so. Now I only feel my spine and back stretching and relaxing.

Day 31, 21. March 18:30

No cabin fever so far. But it's possible that I will be fired until the quarantine is over and I have been debating with my GF if I should get a different job for a month or two. Tricky question.

Day 32, 23. March 16:00
-Warmup

Day 33, 24. March 6:00
-Calisthenics Warmup
-Easy Hill Runs
16:00
-Warmup

I like the easy hill runs. It's nice being outdoors for a while and I feel like it will supplement S&S nicely. Hits the legs in a different way and brings the lungs into play a bit more. One thing that surprised me was the amount of soreness generated deep in my calf muscles. I figured calf raises and jump rope training would have prepared me better and I run at a relaxed pace and only for 200-400m at a time. But it's not a bad kind of soreness and the joints and tendons are not affected. Even so I will give my lower legs at least 48 hours to recover anyways.

Day 34, 25. March 16:00
-Warmup

Day 35, 26. March 6:00
-Calisthenics Warmup
-Easy Hill Runs
14:45
-Warmup

Day 36, 27. March 12:00
-Warmup

Tomorrow I will be back at the office again. We still have no proper setup to work from home. E-Mail alone doesn't cut it and I need access to our work network to get a lot of my work done. So I will load up on energy drinks to power through as much work as possible between 7-17:00 :D

Day 39, 31. March 12:00
-Warmup
-One Handed Swings: 18,5 kg, 10 sets of 10
-TGU: 18,5 kg, 5 singles per arm

Day 40, 1. April 14:00
-Warmup

Well, another week done. Actually got some work done and spent a lot of time hiking which is really nice. Even got a bit of a tan. Other than that I am more than ready to go back to normal and to forget how stupid some people act under the quarantine.

When it comes to training I find that I have gotten a lot better at the TGUs. I struggled a lot when I started. Probably because of poor mobility and weakness in my upper back. But now it feels more like a balancing exercise were I don't have to fight my own body. Swings on the other hand feel pretty much the same. I have gotten a bit better at a lot of smaller things. But nothing like with the TGU.

Day 42, 4. April 12:00
-Warmup

I am starting to get back to doing morning workouts. It looks like I will be back at the office starting next week. No idea if things work out or not. But getting up earlier is a good idea anyways. And something that might not be such a great idea is the upcoming family Easter weekend. Legally they are allowed here in Austria and my family wants to do one. Maybe a split in smaller groups at my grandmothers house. But we are talking about close to 20 people from all across the country. Oh well...

Day 43, 6. April 7:00
-Warmup

Day 44, 7. April 7:00
-Warmup

Day 45, 8. April 7:00
-Warmup

Day 46, 10. April 8:00
-Warmup

Day 47, 11. April 19:00
-Warmup

I changed the S&S warmup slightly. Instead of doing a hip bridge I started to work on a full gymnastics bridge*. And I finally progressed to the 20kg KB. It's not a heavy weight but 2 months ago it kicked my butt. My grip was so weak it felt like the KB would go flying doing one handed swings. And my posture and mobility was so poor my it felt like my shoulders and upper back would get hurt doing TGUs. And I actually managed to do my lent and Easter fast for one more day than required. Looks like meat is on the menu again :D

Day 48, 13. April 14:00
-Warmup*
-One Handed Swings: 20 kg, 10 sets of 10
-TGU: 20 kg, 5 singles per arm

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom