all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Maximorum Master Thread

My wife took my car this morning ( she never takes my car ) which is where my 20kg’s live, so I had to either miss today or take my 24’s. I took my 24’s. Damn, what a difference a bell size makes!. I’m comfortable C&P 24’s but adding the squats made a big big difference. 2,4 ladders and I just got through the first one without putting the bells down. After that I was resting between 2’s and 4’s. I’ve never had to do that, I generally pick a weight where I don’t put the bells down between ladders. Funnily enough by the end I actually thought I’d be able to run them straight through again, but didn’t push. After the 30 min session I kept going with the 2’s, with lots of rest, for another 11 sets. I really like low rep heavy with lots of rest. I can just keep going.

I am planning on redoing phase 1 with my 24’s for C&P. It was a good indication haha. I might possibly run Giant 3.0 with my 28’s beforehand just to get my dose of heavy C&P. The strength might help. Possibly, I am loving snatching and C&P&FSQ

I’m also really loving the C&P&FSQ combo. It’s awesome.
Sorry, just curious. If you can run Giant 3.0 with 2x28, then why are you running Maximorum with 2x20? Both programs are based on your 5 rep max C+P. I feel like you are doing yourself a disservice running Max as a conditioning program instead of a strength program. Especially for phase 1, which is strength and power focus.

Sorry, just curious. If you can run Giant 3.0 with 2x28, then why are you running Maximorum with 2x20? Both programs are based on your 5 rep max C+P. I feel like you are doing yourself a disservice running Max as a conditioning program instead of a strength program. Especially for phase 1, which is strength and power focus.
I haven’t squatted in a long time, so i wasn’t sure I could do it squat wise. My plan was to do phase 1 with 20’s to get my legs used to squatting regularly again then redo with 24’s

Also, I’ve found it’s smart to be conservative with bell size with Geoff’s programs.

At worst, I’m doing more reps, no big deal for me, I can always use some more conditioning

This has been running around my head, so today I did the highest ladders of phase 1 C&P&FSQ with my 24’s. I had to rest between ladders and didn’t get as many reps as I would have with the 20’s, but felt like it’s probably the right weight to use. I’m at week 5 next week, I’ll try to stick with the 24’s for the rest of phase 1.

Pushing squats is tricky for me, I have a knee that’s actually fine now ( although my Olympic figure skating gold medal dream is over haha ) but had a decent injury, so I’m cautious when squatting. Ironically when I squat regularly it feels awesome

I’m going to try the 3 day option. I have an 8 week shutdown starting end of next week, which means early starts, long hours and saturdays, as well as digging out for a concrete footing, which, combined with the volume of C&P and snatch is annoying my elbow. My elbow is much better than it used to be, but a regular high volume of reps makes it complain. I’m also sticking with the 24’s for C&P&FSQ.

I held off on starting this but have finished days 1+2 of week 1 with a 40kg bell for snatch and 2x40kg for C+P/FSQ. Was thinking of doing "strong legs" option but looking over the numbers going Forward may just do the middle option

Day 1 was 90 snatches
Day 2 18 C+P and 36 FSQ.

Trying to follow the power focus and RPE... Enjoying the change of stimulus as I've been following a conjugate system for a few months.

Almost got there. My elbow is pretty annoyed. It gets cranky with lots of volume, but in this case I’m sure it’s the digging I’m doing in the yard. I’ve still got a wall to dig out so I need to switch to elbow friendly work, squat I’m thinking. I’ve had to pause programs before for my elbow. It’s annoying but it’s much better than pushing it and making it worse, that definitely sucks. Been there done that and not doing it again.

I think my snatch has gone from pretty average to ok by doing this, and I’ll definitely revisit. And the combo of C&P to FSQ is awesome too I think.

Will re do after summer.

I held off on starting this but have finished days 1+2 of week 1 with a 40kg bell for snatch and 2x40kg for C+P/FSQ. Was thinking of doing "strong legs" option but looking over the numbers going Forward may just do the middle option

Day 1 was 90 snatches
Day 2 18 C+P and 36 FSQ.

Trying to follow the power focus and RPE... Enjoying the change of stimulus as I've been following a conjugate system for a few months.
Great work!!!
How much do you weigh?

Sorry for the silly question, but I can't seem to find a clear answer. Is the RM for Clean and Press (i.e. clean before each press) or for strict press (so one clean and then just presses)?

Clean before each press.
Thanks! I just finished the program and I'm very happy with it.

I ran it for four weeks with a mismatched 16 and 20, as that's all I had, and then got a pair of adjustables, so I switched to an even pair of 18 from week five onwards.

Tested my RM with the double 18 just now (went at it without any prior work) and managed to do 9 reps of clean and press.

I then tried with double 20s and managed to do 5 reps.

I have four weeks before going on holidays, so I'm planning to run DFW with the 20s during that time, and when I come back from holidays I'll be starting a new round of Maximorum with the double 20s.

After spending most of my time doing S&S, doing one round of ROP with a 20, and not doing anything for 6 months because of an injury, I finally feel like I'm on track for strength with maximorum.

Would like to run it until I reach double 32s, but I don't know how realistic that is.

A little bit of a late arrival to Maximorum, but I just finished week 1 and loved it! Using 24kg for the Snatches and 2x20kg for the presses and squats, which is a 7RM for my DC+P. I had surgery in October so had to wait for everything to fully recover before I could start squatting again. Finished with 150 snatches, 42 presses, 39 squats, and 69 cleans. Excited to get started on week two tomorrow!

I also run Maximorum at the moment. I use a 2x20kg for DC&P and 20kg for Snatch. To be honest, the 2x20 for DC&P is a 10/11 rm instead of a 5 rm. I tried Maximorum last year in ocotber with 2x24 for DC&P (and 20 for snatch which is a 10rm), but after only one week I felt some soreness in my lower back. So i stopped for a few weeks and did some lighter single bell work. For my new attempt I decided to go with 2x20, maybe a bit light but I wanted to see what this does for my lower back. When I'm done I hope to run another round of Maximorum with 2x24 (and maybe the snatch will also have increased to a 24 for 10rm?).
So far I'm 4 weeks in and I feel great, no issues issues in my lower back and I want to tighten my belt a bit more. So think I lost some bellyfat (my weight hasn't shifted).
I'm curious for the results when the reps increase in phase 2, and when I wil use a 5rm instead of a 10rm.

Just started this week. Is the C&P just one clean each round, or is it a clean with each rep? Thanks
Clean, press, clean, press, clean, press.

In general “clean and press” is cleaning before every press and “press” you only clean before the first rep to get it in the rack.

Same with front squats - “front squat” you just clean to the rack, but “clean and front squat” is a clean before very squat (something not used here, just an additional example).

Anybody tried the 3 day maximorum? I have 2 weeks of my current program and am looking to restart maximorum. I’ll be using 28’s for C&P and FSQ, after doing exactly that at the start of the year, low rep C&P&FSQ.

Snatch plan is just 16kg, as im not overly experienced with it. When I used 16kg last time I tried maximorum, it was a perfect weight and my form felt great, felt like it got smoother and smoother.

I will be trying 3 days, as im in no rush, I actually want to spend some time with it, mostly to slowly build volume with the 28’s, and also practice the snatch, without pushing too hard.

By the end of it I’d like to be comfortable with the 28’s in C&P and FSQ, and hopefully be able to snatch the 16kg for continuous reps ( start with half snatch )

Anybody tried the 3 day maximorum? I have 2 weeks of my current program and am looking to restart maximorum. I’ll be using 28’s for C&P and FSQ, after doing exactly that at the start of the year, low rep C&P&FSQ.

Snatch plan is just 16kg, as im not overly experienced with it. When I used 16kg last time I tried maximorum, it was a perfect weight and my form felt great, felt like it got smoother and smoother.

I will be trying 3 days, as im in no rush, I actually want to spend some time with it, mostly to slowly build volume with the 28’s, and also practice the snatch, without pushing too hard.

By the end of it I’d like to be comfortable with the 28’s in C&P and FSQ, and hopefully be able to snatch the 16kg for continuous reps ( start with half snatch )
I have not tried it. But when I did my run starting from week 8 It got really heavy for me and I could not recover from training 4 days a week (I'm sure a full time job, a 4 year old and broken nights won't help). I also got some pain in my shoulders so I stopped the program as a whole and started doing some swings and bodyweight. But I plan on returning to the program and also run it as 3 days a week. So I'm curious what your results will be.

I have not tried it. But when I did my run starting from week 8 It got really heavy for me and I could not recover from training 4 days a week (I'm sure a full time job, a 4 year old and broken nights won't help). I also got some pain in my shoulders so I stopped the program as a whole and started doing some swings and bodyweight. But I plan on returning to the program and also run it as 3 days a week. So I'm curious what your results will be.
I’ve done Geoff’s Strong program and dropped to twice a week instead of 3 x a week when the volume got high, and it still worked brilliantly. In fact, I’ve gone conservative with a few of Geoff’s programs and still made great progress.

Back
Top Bottom