all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Maximorum Master Thread

Thank you, kisto!
I did option A and it was enough for me. All Program I did C&P and Fr Sq without any break between. Option C - I cannot imagine because all cleans, squats and snatch are engage legs and I feel the program is very challenging.
C&P numbers of reps between 25-34, Snatch 60-142. Details:
View attachment 23206
View attachment 23207
Thank you for sharing! I had forgot to ask if you rested between the C+P and FS, so thanks for clarifying that as well. I did the same thing for week 1. Yesterday I decided to rest between and came up 5 reps shorter than w1's numbers, but my presses felt a lot stronger. It's interesting to see that people's numbers are staying relatively constant throughout the whole 12-week program. I thought maybe they would increase as time went on, especially between phases. When I ran the Giant 1.0-2.0 for 16 weeks, my total rep average increased about 10 reps every 4 weeks. I hope that I am able to keep up with your consistency for the next 10.5 weeks!

Thank you for sharing! I had forgot to ask if you rested between the C+P and FS, so thanks for clarifying that as well. I did the same thing for week 1. Yesterday I decided to rest between and came up 5 reps shorter than w1's numbers, but my presses felt a lot stronger. It's interesting to see that people's numbers are staying relatively constant throughout the whole 12-week program. I thought maybe they would increase as time went on, especially between phases. When I ran the Giant 1.0-2.0 for 16 weeks, my total rep average increased about 10 reps every 4 weeks. I hope that I am able to keep up with your consistency for the next 10.5 weeks!
You welcome!
I think increasing number of reps is not a main part and could be against autoregulation concept. In Giant numbers of reps is the same so you build ability to perform more sets during same time. With Kettlebell Maximorum number of reps changes every thay so it is a new chellange every time.
Anyway good lack and don't forget share your results!

2nd week down. I’m learning that pushing hard on snatch day means I need to take it easier on C&P&FSQ day. Which is fine. Had to just get done what I could today after yesterdays snatch day.

Snatch seems to be going well though. I think I’m just going to have to do a tonne of reps to learn it. Getting smoother but just have to keep snatching

As anyone done the whole program with strong leg option?
Not a complete answer to your question, but I think my Maximorum experience will help you make your decison.

I chose Option B rather than Option C---the strong leg option.

In Maximorum, Geoff writes "Only choose Option C the 'Strong Legs' option if you actually have strong legs, otherwise you'll pay the price."

I took him at his word.

Even though Option B was only one more rep, it became a lttle bit of a mental thing (not a strength thing) for me. I fixated on that one additional rep during the set. I thought about that one rep on the morning of a session as I got ready to lift. Some days I loved the additional rep, sometimes it made me a crabby baby.

From a physical standpoint, in Phase 2, it was hard for me to super set the DCP and DFSQ on high rep days. For some of the set I was able to super set the high rep sets early in the session. Later in the session, it was too much to hold the bells in the rack and still squat with good form. So I had to put bells down between the lifts.

When I was struggling to hold the bells in the rack late in a high rep set is when the mental games really showed themselves. My brain would try to bargain with me to switch to Option A mid-program. (Actually, sometimes it was mid-session or even mid-set.) But, I persevered and completed Maximorum with Option B.

When I run Maximorum again, I will choose Option A. (The crabby baby in my head will have to find something else to complain about.)

Last edited:
I have double 24s, a 28, a 32 and a 40kg. I did easy strength with single arm pressing a 32 for 2x5 and it wasn’t bad at all. I did a random variety workout after of just easy snatches for 10 snatch’s OTM for 20 min with my 28. I’m debating on buying a second kettlebell and the program. I know the grinds look for a 5Rm and the snatches at 10RM. Running Maximorum for first 12 week cycle at 2x32kg a bad idea/too confident? Or end up buying two kettlebells like 2x28kg for 12 weeks, then two weeks of lighter weight and then get another 32kg for 2x32kg for a second 12 week cycle. I also work construction 10-12 hr days and will more than likely do the 3 day a week for 16 weeks so I recovery and can lift heavy on training days.

Those who have done it, should I start conservative with load and spend more money on bells or go for the 2x32?

I’m 38. Have had some injuries from wrestling as a younger lad.

@John Rhodes I am 55 so feel free to ignore my response. But with Neupert's programs, I tend to be conservative in my bell selection. I did Maximorum with 28k bells for the DCP and a 24k bell for the snatches.

The 28s had just become my 10 RM bells when I started. I didn't test the snatch bell because I hadn't done a snatch program for about 18 months. I MAYBE could have used a 28k for snatches.

There are no heros with a GN program. If you're under belled you can make up the difference using auto-regulation and set density. You will still get a good session and get stronger.

Those who have done it, should I start conservative with load and spend more money on bells or go for the 2x32?
Going conservative is a good idea with any of Geoff Neupert's programs. That said, can you borrow another 32 kg. and just test? If you can hit 5x or slightly more C&P (that's a clean between every press, don't be an idiot like me) with good form, you're good to go. If not, get another 28 kg. maybe.

@John Rhodes I am 55 so feel free to ignore my response. But with Neupert's programs, I tend to be conservative in my bell selection. I did Maximorum with 28k bells for the DCP and a 24k bell for the snatches.

The 28s had just become my 10 RM bells when I started. I didn't test the snatch bell because I hadn't done a snatch program for about 18 months. I MAYBE could have used a 28k for snatches.

There are no heros with a GN program. If you're under belled you can make up the difference using auto-regulation and set density. You will still get a good session and get stronger.
I have not done Maximorum, though I do own it so I know what it says. I (and I am in the minority on this forum, I suspect) would say that with autoregulation, you can make up for being OVER belled too (to a point, of course; and don’t overbell the wolf. Speaking from experience). If you have to rest 4-minutes and you can only get 4 total rounds the first week, so be it, so long as you can finish the sets.

…….But when Mr Neupert says “don’t mix in ANY other training”……. Do not mix in any other training.

Going conservative is a good idea with any of Geoff Neupert's programs. That said, can you borrow another 32 kg. and just test? If you can hit 5x or slightly more C&P (that's a clean between every press, don't be an idiot like me) with good form, you're good to go. If not, get another 28 kg. maybe.
In a few months I’ll get my other 32kg bell back. I might go to a sporting good store and do a few sets. In the winter, since there is a surplus of calories I like doing some hypertrophy stuff. Clean and Press, Front Squats and snatches are 4 solid exercises and will get you stronger/better looking.

So, I’ve been feeling pretty good at how the snatch is going. After my 20min snatch session with the 16 today, I couldn’t help but see how the 20 felt, but gave myself maximum 3 reps each side. The extra weight helps to feel the movement better and the reps were much better than a few weeks ago. Much better. Both my snatch weight and C&P&FSQ weights are quite conservative. When I’ve done the 6 weeks, I think I’ll redo it with bigger bells.

I have double 24s, a 28, a 32 and a 40kg. I did easy strength with single arm pressing a 32 for 2x5 and it wasn’t bad at all. I did a random variety workout after of just easy snatches for 10 snatch’s OTM for 20 min with my 28. I’m debating on buying a second kettlebell and the program. I know the grinds look for a 5Rm and the snatches at 10RM. Running Maximorum for first 12 week cycle at 2x32kg a bad idea/too confident? Or end up buying two kettlebells like 2x28kg for 12 weeks, then two weeks of lighter weight and then get another 32kg for 2x32kg for a second 12 week cycle. I also work construction 10-12 hr days and will more than likely do the 3 day a week for 16 weeks so I recovery and can lift heavy on training days.

I’m 38. Have had some injuries from wrestling as a younger lad.
I will say single pressing for 5 on each arm is a whole lot different than double pressing for 5! That being said, I think you'd be good to go with 2x28 easily. Like you said in another post, maybe go to a sports store and see if you can press 2x32 for 5. Week 4 and beyond, has you doing sets of 5 and greater. If you can't press the 2x5 at the beginning, you'll be setting yourself up for failure. In general, it's typically recommended to get a 2nd 28 over a 2nd 32 regardless of which program you decide to do next. 2x24 to 2x32 is a pretty significant jump.

I’ve been doing C&P&FSQ back to back as a complex. So for sets of 3, C&P&FSQ x 3. I thought that was right but now I see it should be 3 x C&P and then 3 x FSQ.

I really need to read things 3 times slowly before I start.

I’ll try it the right way next session.

So I’m at the point where I’m settling into it. Bit like Strong, I’m kind of scared looking ahead at the high rep weeks, but at the same time amazed I just did ladders of 4,6 for the snatch. Volume starting to drop a little but I’m ok with that, I wasn’t really that out of breath after doing 10 snatches each side haha.

My wife took my car this morning ( she never takes my car ) which is where my 20kg’s live, so I had to either miss today or take my 24’s. I took my 24’s. Damn, what a difference a bell size makes!. I’m comfortable C&P 24’s but adding the squats made a big big difference. 2,4 ladders and I just got through the first one without putting the bells down. After that I was resting between 2’s and 4’s. I’ve never had to do that, I generally pick a weight where I don’t put the bells down between ladders. Funnily enough by the end I actually thought I’d be able to run them straight through again, but didn’t push. After the 30 min session I kept going with the 2’s, with lots of rest, for another 11 sets. I really like low rep heavy with lots of rest. I can just keep going.

I am planning on redoing phase 1 with my 24’s for C&P. It was a good indication haha. I might possibly run Giant 3.0 with my 28’s beforehand just to get my dose of heavy C&P. The strength might help. Possibly, I am loving snatching and C&P&FSQ

I’m also really loving the C&P&FSQ combo. It’s awesome.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom