all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mixing PTP and S&S

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

pedro07

First Post
I looked before in the forum and found some similar questions, but none really answered what a i wanted to know, so I decided to create this new thread. Let's cut to the chase:

My schedule for the last six weeks (I'm in my seventh) has been this:

M, T, T, F - PTP
W, S, S - S&S

I mentioned a little bit of my background down below and, as I like to do calisthenics, I adopted weighted calisthenics w/PTP.

My program has been the following:

PTP days - weighted pull ups, weighted push ups, weighted pistols
S&S - started with 16kg kettlebell, but i'm progressing as pavel recomend's in the book and I'm doing 2 sets of swings and TGU w/24kg

An overall view: I'm feeling good, I have more energy, I'm stronger and my resting HR have been pretty stable

My doubt is the following:
I recently finished Easy Strength and found my training very similar w/40 day workout Dan recommends, because my training envolve literally the 5 movements that has in the training w/the diferrence that I split the movements to train everyday. That said, i was wondering if what i'm doing is right and found no answer to that, everyone says something different in foruns and I found no answer also in the books if had any general guidelines for mixing these programs, except Enter The Kettlebell that has a question in the FAQ by the end of the book telling to mix both in blocks of training, which did not serve me because cardio, core exercise and lower back exercise was missing in my adaptation of PTP. For me, my training is in QIII and I'm pretty confident that covers the basics of GPP (my goal). Should I keep doing what i'm doing ? If I'm wrong, I'd love to know why and how can I better adapt my goals w/my practices

Pavel himself recommends practicing S&S three times a week in the book if the person is following a strength regimen and in my head that's exactly what i'm doing

A little background: I decided to start PTP and S&S at the end of last year, where I had already been doing calisthenics for 3 years and had been running for a while three times a week. Furthermore, I'm in my mid-20's and have always done some physical activity. I have no history of illness or injury.

My goal with my practices is to become strong with a secondary focus on functional strength for day to day life

which did not serve me because cardio, core exercise and lower back exercise was missing in my adaptation of PTP.
Just correcting, instead of "core" I wanted to say overhead exercise. I'm already doing weighted push ups and it's a excellent whole body exercise

Sounds like you answered your own question. And it sounds like it has been working.
Thanks, Luis. I thought that maybe I misinterpreted something and was doing something wrong after reading some answers here in the forum, because nobody said that this could be done and i'm new to this "world", I just started studying

Thanks, Luis. I thought that maybe I misinterpreted something and was doing something wrong after reading some answers here in the forum, because nobody said that this could be done and i'm new to this "world", I just started studying
You’re welcome. I think it should be fine especially if you have been doing it and it is fitting your goals. There is a book called easy strength by Dan John and Pavel T. In it there is a reference to doing the two programs in 2 week blocks of time. So, doing 2 weeks of PTTP then 2 weeks of S&S. I think if you want the maximum benefit from either program, then I would suggest picking one and sticking with it for 12 weeks. From there you will have certainly gotten stronger and could choose another 12 weeks of something else. It is the general recommendation to stick with these programs for at least 12 weeks to reap the benefits from them. I stuck with the Rite of Passage even longer and got great results. It may fit your tastes better since you are wanting to combine S&S with PTTP.

In ROP, there is one day of snatching, two days of swings mixed with 3 days of pressing. Then you could select to mix in PTTP 1-2 days per week to get your desire of some barbell lifting or whatever else you would like to do.

In ROP, there is one day of snatching, two days of swings mixed with 3 days of pressing. Then you could select to mix in PTTP 1-2 days per week to get your desire of some barbell lifting or whatever else you would like to do.
First, I really aprecciate your advice!

Second, Idk what what protol ROP is. What does ROP stand for ? How is it ? I never heard about it

This is Pavel’s book titled Enter the Kettlebell. And the program in it is called the Rite of Passage or ROP. He recommends staying on the program until you have achieved two goals.

1. 1/2 body weight clean and press with a single kettlebell.

2. 200 snatches in 10 minutes with a 24kg kettlebell.

It really is an awesome program. He also references that in old Soviet Russia it was a Rite of Passage from boy to manhood for a young man to clean and press a 32kg kb.

Back
Top Bottom