all posts post new thread

My Busy Dad protocol - a GtG success

Nice work. For whatever reason 5/4 murders me while 2/10 isn't as much of an issue. I enjoy both but 5/4 puts it to me.
I've been pondering this because others have said the same and I trust that they know better than I.

I think that the 10/2 will become the easier route after a requisite level of conditioning is attained.

Once the CP gas tank is big enough to take me the whole 10 reps at the desired intensity, it won't tax the other energy systems, and, the longer rest period will allow me to recover more, as well.

And so maybe it's the case that the faster rate of depletion in the 5/4 isn't something that you graduate from. Nor is the deeper cut that the 10/2 offers.

That's my guess.

Q&D 044
2 series, 5/4
24kg

Soreness levels have returned to normal. Some soreness is still evident after working, but after a day or two fades to zero. This is the first week that I'll be accepting four series . We'll see how it goes

Q&D 044
4 series, 5/4
24kg

All reps went up as planned.
Definitely more challenging in the 4th series.
Feeling winded. Heart rate hadn't settled before the 4th series began.

Worked indoors today to keep an eye on the kids. Much warmer without a breeze. Maybe had an effect on perception of difficulty.

Last set of 5 I put the bell down and looked.
Saw 12s had passed for my last park of the bell.
Speed didn't drop as much as I feared, I guess.

Just under 14 minutes start to finish.

Last edited:
Q&D 044
3 series, 5/4
24kg

All the reps went up as planned.
Today I did not avoid sprinkling in some over speed eccentrics on the way down. Seemed to add a second to the repeats. Instead of 9-11s it was more like 10-12s.

As I've noticed , swinging the bell harder is like getting a bigger bell for free. Maybe the difference in timing is related to how much I had to wind up at the bottom. Maybe I wasn't quite recovered from my 1st 80 rep session the other day.

I noticed the third series was tougher than the first two.
Lower back is noticing the work. Not completely recovered from the 4 series where form maybe was less perfect than it should be. Will film from now on.

Still clearing my five snatches at 12 seconds or less at the end.

Last edited:
Q&D 044
4 series, 5/4
24kg

Filmed today.
Bottom and top of snatch are not good enough.

Should descend deeper into the hinge, hips back, shins upright. Use the cue, shoulders down

Smudging lockout at the top. Especially in the 4th series. Biceps need to come closer to the ears.

maybe think plank , at the top. Lean into it

Definitely not as sore or tired as last time I did 4 series. Good news, I think.

Edit: got to sit on the rower for about 30 minutes. Will try to incorporate more often.

Last edited:
Q&D 044
3 series, 5/4
24kg

Felt recovered before starting today.

Filmed today.
Form is much better
Proud chest , lean into it

Forgot to check my log before beginning. Pulled it up in a break, and stopped at 3 series instead of 4.

Note to self: check log before rolling dice.

Q&D 044
3 series
5/4, 10/2 mix
24 kg

Very intense feeling finish.
10 and 2 felt very doable on the 3rd series.
Even though it felt slow, I was still seeing 21 seconds on the clock when I put down the Bell.
Acutely felt the wind up in my hips at the end.
I'll take this as a sign of good form, since my lower back feels like it hardly worked at all.

EDIT:
Deadlift 3x5 48kg

After meeting my 40kg and 48kg bell by carefully hugging them to unload them from the back of my car into the garage, I finally got to introduce myself, properly.

It's a noticable amount of weight, but I could probably deadlift this much weight for sets of 10 without too much wear and year.

Last edited:
Q&D 044
3 series
5/4, 10/2 mix
24 kg

Very intense feeling finish.
10 and 2 felt very doable on the 3rd series.
Even though it felt slow, I was still seeing 21 seconds on the clock when I put down the Bell.
Acutely felt the wind up in my hips at the end.
I'll take this as a sign of good form, since my lower back feels like it hardly worked at all.

EDIT:
Deadlift 3x5 48kg

After meeting my 40kg and 48kg bell by carefully hugging them to unload them from the back of my car into the garage, I finally got to introduce myself, properly.

It's a noticable amount of weight, but I could probably deadlift this much weight for sets of 10 without too much wear and year.
I just got a 40k too! I’m thinking deadlifts and 2 handed swings for now mostly, but i did bust out a couple of tgu with it the other day!

Q&D 044
2 series, 5/4
24kg

Awesome @LarryB
I haven't tried anything else yet. Great job on TGU that's something that's always lagging for me .

Edit:
Maybe the room temperature is affecting me.
These sessions in the garage are nice in my feet . I'm barefoot on padded carpet scraps. but they're a great deal warmer feeling than the outdoor sessions I was having before.
Maybe that's part of why I described it as intense feeling.
also there must be some hypertrophy, because I have recently ripped two pairs of pants getting into and out of the car.

Last edited:
First time for everything.

Barbell Deadlifts
3 sets of 5
275 lbs

Kettlebell push press
1x5 40kg
2x5 32kg

I was surprised that I could do this much. I will be using kettlebells for the press since I forgot to buy collars for my barbell and the weights were slipping a little bit.

Next barbell session will be pttp instead of 3x5.

Last edited:
Unplanned training Day.
Acft familiarization at the unit today.

Performed six leg tucks, lost count but over 30 pushups, probably 45, ran the Sprint drag carry at 2 minutes 19 seconds, pulled 300 pounds deadlift for three reps.

First time for everything.

Barbell Deadlifts
3 sets of 5
275 lbs

Kettlebell press
1x5 40kg
2x5 32kg

I was surprised that I could do this much. I will be using kettlebells for the press since I forgot to buy collars for my barbell and the weights were slipping a little bit.

Next barbell session will be pttp instead of 3x5.
I’m more impressed with your 40k press than my get up. I can’t press it yet. Gotta train for this marathon then pressing programs galore!

Q&D 044
2 series 5/4

Easy day, have the kids home with me and they're still having a hard time not invading my space, in the garage. Gonna work on that .

After that high volume weekend I just had, definitely thinking about my barbell cycle. I need some nicer collars if I'm going to do the side press. But, pending taking and reviewing some video, I'm feeling very confident about starting a venture into barbell training .

variety day today (greasing the grooves)

snatch
1x5 32kg
3x3 32kg

2 hand swings
1x5 40kg - made shoulder height - eye level
1x5 48kg - made chest height - shoulder height
4x5 48kg - made shoulder height - eye level

EDIT :
deadlift
3x3 315 lbs. tough but fair.

Last edited:
Back