all posts post new thread

Kettlebell My Kettlebell "Strong" Results

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thanks for the reply Noah. I will give it a try! It doesn't seem to be much volume but thought I would ask someone who has done it.

Steve W thanks for your advice also. I think we are at different places, I guess you're stronger and more experienced with squats than me. I am tall and front squats are torture. Sfg trainers recently taught me to breathe properly and keep tension so now I have better technique my view is that I need regular practice. I can press double 28s for a couple of reps but only squat 24s (it's shameful lol, I skipped leg day)

I don't know if I should start a new thread, hopefully I can just continue this old KB Strong one. I bought a copy KB Strong in Geoffs final sale and I would like to try it.

Has anyone run Clean and Press 3 times/week and Front Squats 3days/week - on alternating days. Then rest on sunday. I have a lot going on for the next few months and it seems like a quick (20 mins/day for the first 3 sessions) park bench type program. I'm on the very basic (starting 10x1 etc).

I am not after body changes, massive strength gains or conditioning (I will be walking and active a lot doing works on the house for the summer), just something to keep me ticking over without adding stress or too much thinking, just get it done.

C&P I really enjoy and it seems to hit the whole body except legs.
FSQs I really need to practise as it is my big weakness (weaker than my Presses!)

TIA

Could work, but like @Steve W. , I don't love Strong template for DFSQs. I have had success following Strong for C&Ps 3x week as prescribed, then adding 5x5 DFSQs on one day after the C&Ps, and 3x3 DFSQs after another day. I found that this didn't interfere with the pressing, and and I still saw progress in the squats.

@Nightfly, we have to consider the schedule - if you're doing a moderately taxing workout every day, your benefits are likely to be along the lines of S&S - improved skill, modest hypertrophy. If, OTOH, you are doing a harder workout then having a recovery day before the next one, you're more likely to increase hypertrophy if that's your goal.

I'm not familiar with the details of the program we're discussing, but I have seen kettlebell front squats used in many programs at the end of a ladder or set to aid in hypertrophy, e.g., Return of the Kettlebell.

Hope that's helpful to you.

-S-

MikeMoran- just to clarify in my mind- the 'ABA-BAB' structure you refer to is : Week 1 C&P/FSQ/C&P then week 2 FSQ/C&P/FSQ?

Yes sir!

You could also do this.

Mon- CP/Tues FSQ/Wed REST/Mobility work/Thurs CP/ FRI Fsq/ Sat-Sun Rest/mobility

I mailed Geoff back when I bought STRONG!, and asked what could I do on rest days. His answer was basically nothing, except for OS resets (I would think long slow distance locomotion would work too). He also said that the program is particularly good for DFSQ (which Mr. Neupert considers the center of the double kettlebell universe).

Training STRONG! six days a week seems, in all fairness, a bad idea. Although I only did the first cycle (18 workouts, I believe, I can't find the damn book right now), the volume near the end is demanding. A lot.

There was someone in the training log session that did what @MikeMoran outlined in his last post (#146), with different weights. He, though, said that the program was tweaked with the approval and supervision of an SFG.

Mike's selection of A/B/A one week and B/A/B the next, kind of TTC fashion, would be perfect for the weight selection STRONG! advices (grab a pair of bells you can strictly pess 3/4 times, if I'm not mistaken).

If you really want to train six days a week, then I would use a 10RM size kettlebell.

That said, STRONG! is one hell of a strength (and, to some extent, hypertrophy) program, some say the best strength program with kettlebells... Much like Soju and Tuba and unlike RoP, one should use a heavy weight (3RM seems to be the perfect number) and it will most definitely deliver what it promises to do (at least it did for me). Using a weight so light - because if you can double the bells and still manage 10RM, that weight is by all means so light - I fear won't give great if any results. Analyze the progression and you'll see the first nine sessions or so will be close to usless, if the weight isn't heavy enough.

My sugestion would be to stick to the 3RM weight selection do either options Mike Moran already explained (strongly recommending the latter, with three days a week and alternating movements).

Chris Lopez also has a post on his blog about adding pull ups or DFSQ to Strong with the C & P. One recommendation is to add some sets on after the C & P program, keeping the C & P as the main course and using the DFSQ as a spice, so to speak. Then progression would focus on the main exercise and not the supplemental one.

For discussion purposes (as I haven't completed strong before) I checked the book. In week 1 starting from scratch it will entail about 30 clean and press and 30 front squat reps. This is within the 6 sessions/week.
Granted, by week 16 or thereabouts it's about 110 reps of each. This is using the slow n steady phase 2.
Still, it sounds doable. What am I missing?

What am I missing?

I think that the three things to consider are...
(1) Lots of people have experience with this program and many find that full recovery is a challenge at 3x per week in the second phase. Geoff, in fact, suggested in the book that some will have to drop to 2x per week for full recovery between workouts.
(2) While the volume is not huge, at 3-4RM max the intensity is fairly high.
(3) The double Clean and Press and double Front Squat are not isolation exercises, the both work every muscle in the body (although some muscles more than others). It is different in nature, in my opinion, from doing a barbell split with squats on some days and presses on others.

Just my opinion based on my experience, others may have different opinions. Don't want to sound as if I know more than I do.

For discussion purposes (as I haven't completed strong before) I checked the book. In week 1 starting from scratch it will entail about 30 clean and press and 30 front squat reps. This is within the 6 sessions/week.
Granted, by week 16 or thereabouts it's about 110 reps of each. This is using the slow n steady phase 2.
Still, it sounds doable. What am I missing?

You're missing what @jhpowers said in the previous post, which I fully second.

Don't get me wrong, but have you ever done a program based on a double kettlebell 3RM? Double kettlebells are very, very different from singles. It's just not double the weight, it's the way this twice as much goes on the body. To give you an example, let's keep talking about the clean and press: sure you can just count kg/lbs from the shoulder on, but you can't quite do that for the whole core, in example. Let me try to exaplin better: if you press one bell, your whole core works on the lift, not just half of it (as happens for the upper limbs in the clean and press), it means your actually pressing, more or less, with one shoulder/arm and almost 100% of your core (and hips, and legs) activation. Moreover, you can cheat a little by adjusting your posture. Now let's take the same weight and double it. You still are pressing each bell with one shoulder/arm, but you can't acrivate the rest of your body much beyond the sinlge bell effort. Although there's a powerlifting legitimate hip thrust to ease the weight up in the overhead press, that move is very hard to execute without risk (and is, in fact, advised against by all the coaches I've seen using it), and it doesn't allow for much more weight on the bar (kettlebells, in this case), and you can't adjust yourself under a bilateral load as easely and safely.

Again: I'm not saying it cannot be done six times a week, I'm saying both Geoff and my experience seem to point in the opposite direction.

I have a little experience in all the program I listed above, and I'll give you one more example.
I'm now cycling S&T for the second time around (and I'm thinking about opening a training log). I decided I want to get really strong with double 24kg in the press, before going up. My goal is a 10 reps pyramid in TTC with the C&P. I do C&P and rows one day, snatches and goblet squats the other (rowa, snatches and goblet squats are performed at weight heavier than 24 kg). I also do some kind of aerobic activity at least four times a week, being that rucking or heavy bag work, both below MAF. S&T is gentle, it let's me train like this and still be fresh, and I'm not a hulk by any means.
STRONG!, on the other hand, progresses much faster and the more it goes on, the less it will allow for much else without compromising recovery, and if I learnt anything from the physical culture world in these last two years, is that mass, strength and endurance are built more on recovery than on training.

Frank_IT, MikeMoran and jhpowers
Thanks for the good feedback, this is exactly what I was after and why this forum is so excellent (you don't just get called a dumb@** or told to do starting strength, like on the reddit forums). I'll keep on with my 6 day plan for a week or 2 while the volume is still low, then start to add additional rest days. Eventually it sounds like I'll end up with Mike's rep scheme ABA-BAB. It might not strictly be Geoff's program but if I get stronger and avoid injury I will be happy.

Well, @Nightfly, I'm a bit of adumb@$$ myself... A proud one, I might add! Also, telling somebody to do Starting Strength isn't a bad idea either, although I've never been on Reddit.

My last advice will be to always use wisdom: my personal experience is that too many times I find myself needing more rest days, when I could have just saved something in the previous sesions and don't beat myself out... Perks of being a dummy, I guess! :cool:

On a side note: new emoticons, yeah!

At long last, I've committed to doing a program as written by an expert.
I'm several workouts in to the combined "Slow and Steady" and "The One" as prescribed by @geoffneupert. I'm using 28kg bells for the "Slow and Steady" and 16kg bells for "The One." I could handle heavier bells for "The One" right now, but as I see it, I'll roll over "The One" three times while working on "Slow and Steady" so my plan is to run "The One" to completion with 16kg bells, then restart it with 20kg, run that down and then put the 24kg bells in play for the final stretch of "Slow and Steady."
I'm doing "Slow and Steady" one day, "The One" the next, taking a day off, then repeating the process. I'm not doing anything except what is prescribed by the program except walks of 2-3 miles several days a week.
I'll keep you posted.

Is Kettlebell Strong still available anywhere? If so, can anyone point me to it? And if not, can anyone suggest a similar doubles program I can start?

Is Kettlebell Strong still available anywhere? If so, can anyone point me to it? And if not, can anyone suggest a similar doubles program I can start?

unfortunately, Geoff pulled out all of his products from the market.

an alternative option..

plan 803a and plan803b in "kettlebell workout snacks from @Hector G

I wish Strongfirst would negotiate with Geoff to sell that one program. More than any other GN publication it is a huge loss for it to cease to be available. It is a foundational document for double Kettlebell work, the technique tips are even more priceless than the program itself.

Another option would be buying the Double Kettlebell Manifesto from Hector Gs website. Chris Lopez is also releasing a series on doubles technique.

Gmork as in the Neverending story? :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom