all posts post new thread

Barbell Newbie Experience of a Zercher Squat with Unloaded Olympic Bar

If you have cranky elbows, does it hurt ? My main concern would be my elbow tendinitis
flaring up.

I used to have an elbow that didn't like many kinds of extensions and zerchers were always fine.

When it comes to flexion I never really feel it in my flexors or elbows. Maybe if I can't fit to flex my elbows properly before I get under the bar. That may happen if you do dead/pin zerchers from way low.

Nah.

I much much much prefer a fully racked barbell front squat.
Me, too, but the entrance fee is higher. :)

I like [barbell front squats] but they feel more like a partial squat for some reason.
That sounds like a mobility issue. I find them the deepest weighted squat I do, and the kettlebell front squat is also up there for ROM for me.

Steinborn - I have done that and even hold the USAWA record for it in my age/weight. I plan to return it to my training once I get a couple of upcoming PL meets out of the way.

Bruh, this would require me to clean it to the rack would it not?
Your fully racked front squat can begin with learning to clean a barbell, and then you don't need a rack. Again, a fairly high entrance fee here but worth pursuing, IMHO.

-S-

When I assisted Fabio Zonin at the SFL last year, he taught the Zercher squat as the FIRST squat variation. That's the way the SFL manual is organized. After that, in the manual (cert order may vary depending on event scheduling): Front Squat, Military Press, Back Squat, Good Morning, Bench Press, Sumo Deadlift, Conventional Deadlift.

Many universal squat principles can be taught with the Zercher squat: tension, breathing, mid-foot balance, coordinated movement of hip and knee flexion, depth and mobility. You can then move on to essentially a bigger challenge with bar placement and center of gravity with other squat variations.

From the SFL manual, intro to Zercher Squat: "The Zercher squat, which requires that you hold the barbell in the crooks of your elbows, offers many unique advantages over the back squat and the front squat. A safe ZSQ technique is much easier to learn. The Zercher enables you to fully extend you hips on the top. Zerchers work your midsection very intensely. Of all squat variations, the Zercher squat has the greatest carryover to the deadlift and the back squat.* The ZSQ is easy on the wrists, elbows, and shoulders and has low demands on the upper body flexibility, unlike the back and front squats. During the Zercher squat the center of gravity is a lot lower than in back or front squat, hence the weight is easier to balance and you can "grind" harder without losing your form. No spotters are necessary with the Zercher squat."

I added an asterisk here because there are two ways to do a Zercher squat, which has been discussed here on the forum in past threads. One way is more like a low bar back squat, and would have more carryover to the deadlift. The other way is more like a front squat or goblet squat and would have more carryover to front squat and more mobility and range of motion. I do 5 of the first and then 1 of the second in this video. Contrary to my video description, that last one isn't incorrect. But as Doc Hartle said at my SFL cert n 2017, if you're going to do it that way, you might as well front squat. "You're hurting your elbows for no reason."

When I assisted Fabio Zonin at the SFL last year, he taught the Zercher squat as the FIRST squat variation. That's the way the SFL manual is organized. After that, in the manual (cert order may vary depending on event scheduling): Front Squat, Military Press, Back Squat, Good Morning, Bench Press, Sumo Deadlift, Conventional Deadlift.

Many universal squat principles can be taught with the Zercher squat: tension, breathing, mid-foot balance, coordinated movement of hip and knee flexion, depth and mobility. You can then move on to essentially a bigger challenge with bar placement and center of gravity with other squat variations.

From the SFL manual, intro to Zercher Squat: "The Zercher squat, which requires that you hold the barbell in the crooks of your elbows, offers many unique advantages over the back squat and the front squat. A safe ZSQ technique is much easier to learn. The Zercher enables you to fully extend you hips on the top. Zerchers work your midsection very intensely. Of all squat variations, the Zercher squat has the greatest carryover to the deadlift and the back squat.* The ZSQ is easy on the wrists, elbows, and shoulders and has low demands on the upper body flexibility, unlike the back and front squats. During the Zercher squat the center of gravity is a lot lower than in back or front squat, hence the weight is easier to balance and you can "grind" harder without losing your form. No spotters are necessary with the Zercher squat."

I added an asterisk here because there are two ways to do a Zercher squat, which has been discussed here on the forum in past threads. One way is more like a low bar back squat, and would have more carryover to the deadlift. The other way is more like a front squat or goblet squat and would have more carryover to front squat and more mobility and range of motion. I do 5 of the first and then 1 of the second in this video. Contrary to my video description, that last one isn't incorrect. But as Doc Hartle said at my SFL cert n 2017, if you're going to do it that way, you might as well front squat. "You're hurting your elbows for no reason."

I would be remiss if I didn't plug the Strong First video course on the barbell lifts as well (if you're a penny pinching tightwad like me). I'm glad that my intuition on the Zercher lines up with the description above. I have issues with L5/S1 that I'm trying to correct and that freaky abdominal contraction is likely a key piece of the rehab puzzle for me.

Interestingly, Dan John talks about progressing:

Goblet Squat
Overhead Squat
everything else is easy after that

Yes it is.

The problem is application with those who aren't high school athletes.

Hence starting with Zerchers for the barbell squats and progressing from there.
Beautiful. That's exactly what I started thinking after hearing it and deciding to move on to the Zercher as a first whistle stop on the rehab journey.

I dunno guys....

Just to revisit it, I tried a quick set of 10@60 kg before I mowed the lawn.

Other than the discomfort in the crook of my arms, didn't feel anything special in my core.

Barbell rollouts are harder for me.

I dunno guys....

Other than the discomfort in the crook of my arms, didn't feel anything special in my core.

Aren't you proficient with barbell squats? Is 60kg a meaningful load to you?

Try to equal your best front squat 1RM. Maybe it will tax your core more.

I wouldn't compare any squat to rollouts.

I dunno guys....

Well in all fairness it was only 60kg. Put 100-150kg on and see how that feels. Do a set of five.

Back
Top Bottom