all posts post new thread

One More Time for this old guy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

one mo time

Level 2 Valued Member
My Basics, 6 ft, 215lbs with 18.6% bf, and 38 inches at belly button.
Shoulder issues when doing press heavy programs like Giant
Wanting to loose weight and get down to 12-13%bf with corresponding waist
under 36 inches.

Early December was 222lbs when starting Dont Know Squat 2.0 (DNS2)
Choose DNS2 as a lead into The Wolf also with 2x16kg (next)
Following The Wolf thinking about The 10K swing challenge but may need a few weeks of Easy Strength to not burn out.

more info on diet and other things later
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Todays Workout
Dont Know Squat 2.0 From Kettlebell Hard by Geoff Neupert
Today was Week 6 Day 1(light day) with 2x16kg 5 Rounds
27-29 seconds work time start next round every 85 seconds (work rest 1:2)
Chest strap Max HR 181

Work time in week one was 35 seconds. That is when I set out my restart time for sets.
Weeks 1-3 every 105 seconds
Weeks 4-6 every 85 seconds (20 seconds faster)
Weeks 7-9 every 65 seconds (again 20 seconds faster)

Little bet more background info.
Age 55
4 years working with kettlebells
I have played the lowest level pub league soccer for 5 years before covid, being fit to play is my main fitness goal.
We played half of the fall 2021 soccer season before stopping because of an outbreak. With that let down I dropped off of my fitness and diet plans in Oct/Nov that resulted in me putting on 10lbs that I am now working off.

---------
Why this workout plan? In summer 2021 getting ready for soccer, I tried "The Wolf" without any prep using 2x16kg.... result was after after week 3 heavy day I could barely walk and did not recover for 4-5 days. I want to do something that was more than I could handle last year.

Yes, I know I am working under belled for DNS2, explained next time

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Todays Workout
Today was Week 6 Day 2(medium day) with 2x16kg 5 Rounds
38-40 seconds work/ 60 sec rest time start next round every 100 seconds seconds (work rest 1:1.5 just like the program)
Chest strap Max HR 183

Concentration broke in round #4, nothing bad but just could not think of what next. think its just the hard work limiting thinking.

Work time in week one was 40-45 seconds. That is when I set out my restart time for sets.
Weeks 1-3 every 120 seconds
Weeks 4-6 every 100 seconds (20 seconds faster)
Weeks 7-9 every 80 seconds (again 20 seconds faster)

Made it through Phase 2 (week 6) next up the final Phase with even less rest

My timing method week 2 until the end. is to set the workout as a tabata on my fitness timer.
I cannot do math at the high heart rates that I am hitting
In week one I made a table with possible work times for the complex with restart time at 1:2 rest rate.
Week 1 I set my fitness timer to stopwatch and see how long the complexes are taking and then restart at times from table.
From that Week 1 time I can plan out the rest of the program. The HRM provides a double check on intensity. Having everything planned out and a check keeps me from getting into pushing harder than I should.

------------------------------------------
Todays Workout
Today was Week 6 Day 3(hard day) with 2x16kg 5 Rounds
56-58 seconds work/ 110sec rest time start next round every 170(2:50) seconds seconds (work rest 1:1.9 little bit more rest than program)
Chest strap Max HR 188, was thinking about decreasing rest between sets to get closer to target looking at the MHR think it was good not to change anything

I am impressed that my time to complete a complex has dropped 15 seconds in the last 6 weeks. Its 3 things:
1. Sport effect, smoother transitions
2. Strength, I am able to move thought the complex with consistent rep speed
3. Conditioning, No holding in the rack to get ready for the next rep

Work time in week one was 70-75 seconds. That is when I set out my restart time for sets.
Weeks 1-3 every 210(3:30) seconds
Weeks 4-6 every 170(2:50) seconds (40 seconds faster)
Weeks 7-9 every 140(2:20) seconds (again 30 seconds faster)

Felt great this morning and decided to push it a little worked every 60 second (to plan) in place of the planned 65 seconds.
Worked, I could have struggled out 1 more round but glad I did not need to today.
week 7 is a deload week with a reduction in volume while increasing intensity by reducing rest

Todays Workout
Today was Week 7 Day 1(light day) with 2x16kg 3 Rounds
27-29 seconds work time start next round every 60 seconds (work rest 1:1)
Chest strap Max HR 175
note week1 day 1 had 40 seconds more rest per round and a MHR of 177... major improvement

Todays Workout
Today was Week 7 Day 2(medium day) with 2x16kg 3 Rounds
36-37 seconds work time start next round every 80 seconds (work rest 1:1)
Chest strap Max HR 181

Great workout, very good at holding rep speed in all 3 rounds
Last round was hard but no drop in form or speed, not sure if I would have made a 4th round without loosing rep speed or holding in rack. will find out next week

Todays Workout
Today was Week 7 Day 3(hard day) with 2x16kg 3 Rounds
58/58/63 seconds work/ 82sec rest time start next round every 140(2:20) seconds seconds (work rest 1:1.33 little bit more rest than program)
Chest strap Max HR 179

Slowed noticeably in the 3rd round today, it was a hard round and starting a 4th round would have been uncomfortable. Hoping its a daily drop in readiness and next week will go better.

think this is an ultra conditioning week because most of the programs in kettlebell hard only run 6 weeks without out a 1:1 (work:rest) phase

Starting to think short term. only 5 workouts left after today in this program. Reason I started posting here was to be accountable a little to finish this program strong.

Tough day today, not feeling energetic and with a post workout walk feeling spent. I have this and should be able to handle week 9

Todays Workout
Today was Week 7 Day 1(light day) with 2x16kg 4 with 5 rounds Rounds
27-29 seconds work time start next round every 60 seconds (work rest 1:1)
Chest strap Max HR 177

Long week without posting ... but I did get my workouts in
Monday Jan31 Week 8 day 2 (medium x4 rounds) MHR 186
Wednesday Feb 2 week 8 day3 (heavy x4 rounds) MHR 184
Both of these days were hard and demanding while I am sure that I can push through one more round next week

Friday Feb 4 week 9 day1 (light x5 rounds) MHR 182
Feels so good to complete this workout and looking forward to finishing the program soon

Sunday, Week 9 day 2 Medium x5 rounds--- MHR 184
held rep pace and form for the whole workout. each round was 36 seconds. amazed that I did not slow down

It was tough on the head, my thoughts
round 1 - got this
round 2- rest was so short I will not make it
round 3- @#$% this is tough lets see how it goes can add little longer break before round 5
round 4- come on only one more and its done
round 5/finish- I made it, I did it, I can not believe it

Made it with no changes, this is a very demanding day with the increase in work without a big increase in rest.

Todays Workout final workout on this plan
Today was Week 9 Day 3(hard day) with 2x16kg 5 Rounds
55/55/56/57/63 seconds work/ 82sec rest time start next round every 130(2:10) seconds seconds
Shortened the rest by 10 seconds between rounds because I did not look at my notes, the load intensified and the last round was so hard
Chest strap Max HR 192
I have not slept well all week, I think it may be the stress from the last week of the program has been intense. every workout was brutal in its own way.

Tomorrow, info about my results and how I plan to move forward with "The Wolf"

Follow up on completing Dont Know Squat 2.0
My Basics, 6 ft,
210lbs down from 222 lbs
17.8% down from +20% bf
37 inches at belly button down from 39inches

Other item that surprised me is Resting Heart Rate after rest days this week was 56/58/58. That is amazing to me.

Amazing and off I go on the next challenge

Yes Its time to start "The Wolf"
Week 1 Day 1 with 2x16kg for 3 rounds
work time 52/52/51 seconds
rest just under 100 seconds based on 50 seconds work/100 rest
Max heart rate 175

Rep range change from DNS2 could be felt but it was manageable. This is not going to be easy. I cannot wait to see the results.

"The Wolf"
Week 1 Day 2 with 2x16kg for 3 rounds
work time 41/42/42 seconds
rest 80 seconds based on 40 seconds work/80 rest
Did that rest between 1 & 2 was gassed and added 10 seconds additional rest before last round
Max heart rate 174
thinking I need to add additional rest between rounds for this program ot not max out heart rate and not make all sets over the workout

"The Wolf"
Week 1 Day 3 with 2x16kg for 3 rounds
work time 68/72/74seconds
rest 140 seconds based on 70 seconds work/140 rest
identified this would not ne enough first break added 20 seconds, second round added 30 seconds
Max heart rate 189 need more rest than that between sets will do a +40 seconds rest over 1-2

recap work rest times for the Wolf program weeks 2 &3
Day 1 work 50 // 100+30 rest // between rounds 180m sec - 3:00
Day2 work 40 // 80+20 rest // between rounds 140m sec - 2:20
Day3 work 70 // 140+40 rest // between rounds 250m sec - 4:10

planned work rest times for the Wolf program weeks 4-6 may adjust based on how it feels in week 4
Day 1 work 50 // 75+25 rest // between rounds 150m sec - 2:30
Day2 work 40 // 60+15 rest // between rounds 140m sec - 1:55
Day3 work 70 // 105+35 rest // between rounds 210m sec - 3:40

that puts the work level someplace in-between intermediate and advanced as outlined in HARD. Amazing how the program manipulates rest to adjust intensity then increases sets to increase work volume week on week.

Yes Its time "The Wolf"

Week 1 Day 1 with 2x16kg for 4 rounds
MHR 184

Tired today, long work day and not recovering well, even after 2 days off. Will not have a problem at this interval with next week 5 rounds

Nice mate I am planning to start the Wolf on the 7th March and expecting some good results. Just finishing last week of Moving Target Complex and the week 6 Squat Day is a timely reminder of how uncomfortable I will be getting once i start with it.

Life in the way of posting, while staying on track with my workouts.
Saturday week2 day2 MHR 180... why can a lower volume and less rest same stress... love the program after that work out
traveled Sunday and on holiday all week

Monday Drop in at Bear Republic crossfit box to use the KB's will be there for a few workouts
Monday Week2 Day 3 HRM strap moved and did not record. Quite a workout. felt good and I was functioning Tuesday to go to the zoo(20k step day). Wednesday morning and while feeling tight looking forward to a good warm up and hitting week 3

Nice mate I am planning to start the Wolf on the 7th March and expecting some good results. Just finishing last week of Moving Target Complex and the week 6 Squat Day is a timely reminder of how uncomfortable I will be getting once i start with it.
I planned on the uncomfortable because last time i tried without prep program, took a week to recover from the week3 heavy day then stopped.

What I did not plan for was "The Wolf needs to eat"... I was hungry constantly for 48 hours after the first workout and have eaten much more the whole time on the program. I normally eat a carnivor-ish diet and fasting 16 hours a day just happens. It in a strange feeling to be always hungry for me.

I planned on the uncomfortable because last time i tried without prep program, took a week to recover from the week3 heavy day then stopped.

What I did not plan for was "The Wolf needs to eat"... I was hungry constantly for 48 hours after the first workout and have eaten much more the whole time on the program. I normally eat a carnivor-ish diet and fasting 16 hours a day just happens. It in a strange feeling to be always hungry for me.
Thats good feedback, I have been eating carnivore since 1 Jan 2019 (90-95% strict) and similarly intermittent fast so that good to know as well. Did you find you cheated a bit more or just upped the quantity?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom