all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Pavel Asking You for Article Ideas

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I believe I saw a video of Pavel Macek demonstrating the neck bridge.
I believe it was in reference to his Great Gamma Protocol, which I wouldn't mind reading more about.

Last edited:
This may not make a good article, but I would love to see a document that outlines all of Strongfirst's and Pavel's prior work (ETK, PTTP, etc...) together so that a trainee can easily see the options available to them based on their modality (barbell, kettlebell, mixed), their experience/strength level, and even GPP vs SPP goal.

There are probably 50 programs: S&S, Royal S&S, 5x5x5, RTTP, ETK+, The Bear, KB Sandwich, Deadlifts and Pickes, Slow Twitch muscle training, A&A, etc... Mapping it all out from a 10,000' viewpoint while looking back on the last 20 years might be interesting. Even just creating a detailed list of all the possible programs, categorized in some minimal manner, would be really helpful. Most articles/programs are written to get somebody from A-->B or C-->D. Would be nice to see the bigger picture of A-->Z.

A bibliography of sorts, with a brief description and subgrouped with other related programs or groupings that make sense.

Regards,

Eric

These need to be chosen specifically for each lifter; I think - again, just IMO - this falls into the domain of an experienced coach. When I am picking assistance exercises for myself, I generally go for the thing I like the least and look like a bumbling idiot while performing. Those criteria usually get me doing something that helps.

Again, JMO.

-S-
Yes I agree. However training certain assistance movements will have similar benefits for most people.

For example if you struggle to lockout a deadlift most of the time it’s due to weak gluteus. For most people training hip thrusts is a good way to strengthen the gluteus. For most people there will be a good way to include hip thrusts for the purpose of benefiting the deadlift lockout.

I’d love to know a similar breakdown of issues to do with the deadlift/bench and ways to fix those issues that will work for most people.

Great, thanks. I bought a copy of Beyond Bodybuilding and started reading it a couple of days ago so will pay close attention.

It's a good book. I like the format, there's a lot he goes through. One of the best ones by Pavel in my opinion. It's one of the last ones I got, I think I was put off by the name and realized the big mistake I made when I finally read it. But I think it's the one I've come back to the most afterwards.

It's a good book. I like the format, there's a lot he goes through. One of the best ones by Pavel in my opinion. It's one of the last ones I got, I think I was put off by the name and realized the big mistake I made when I finally read it. But I think it's the one I've come back to the most afterwards.
Yeah, I reckon it probably was the name that put me off too.
Pavel opens with a statement about the high volume of research he did and that it was his follow-up to PTTP (interestingly referred to as "PTP") and I thought d'oh

Second this... I think Derek Toshner could blend the endurance and strength aspects of training from all of his experience and knowledge. Kind of like All-Terrain Conditioning, with a heavy lean towards the endurance aspect.
I would love to know more about All- Terrain Conditioning. I doubt I could ever afford attending a seminar, but I have always read and listened to Derek Toshner in anything I could find.

-Expanding on quantity of health as it relates to training/health/longevity (more articles like how to train against a virus)
-More on his thoughts on hormesis and non-specific resilience/cross-adaptation, the sympathetico-adrenal system and adrenal cortex
-More specifics on potential productivity, autogenic training, etc.
-More ideas for long-term adaptation/results that stick around such as mentioned in Q&D
-More detail on conditions of hypertrophy (such as mentioned How To Build Your Slow Twitch Fibers)
-Any more philosophical article of his (philosophy of training, preparedness for life)

Thank you Pavel for all you have done and the impact you have made!

I love the programs Pavel has brought to us over the years for the results they bring but some of the earlier ones don't really address the DOMS aspect that many beginners or people who've had a long layoff from training experience when they plunge into a new regime. Most beginners & even experienced athletes who've had a break from training tend to overdo the introductory phase and a good percentage of them get discouraged and drop out before the end of the first month because they've compared themselves to others who started those programs with a good baseline of conditioning.
All those DOMS symptoms can be completely avoided in the introductory stages of training if you start the first month as a learning phase where they do maybe 30% of their max reps and quickly ramp it up over the next few weeks. It helps to keep their motivation levels high because they see a rapid improvement in those first few weeks and never get sore.
When I was a teenager and going into my early 20's anyone who dared to speak of any muscle soreness was seen as weak or even a p@#$y if they dared to complain, the attitude was just suck it up and deal with it. Some (but thankfully not all) seem to be really averse to that philosophy these days, so I've found you have to break some of those types of people in slowly so they don't throw the towel in before they start to achieve anything.
It's a sad reflection on how our society has gone in the west of late in many respects but managing the psyche of the new starters has been fundamental to my business to create repeat customers who genuinely want to keep coming back.

Similarities and differences of training for health vs performance.

Maybe exercise alternatives for when the preferred exercise isn’t available to you for whatever reason.

A general guide of which program to start at and where to go after completing different ones.
I’m not explaining this very well, but something like Dan John’s “ things are going so well I can’t wait to screw it up”.

A couple things

A+A definitely ( I admit when I read Q&D and was told to read more about A+A On the strongfirst articles section, I was not exactly overwhelmed. )

Glycolytic power repeats. And how to program them.

Purposeful use of a smoker session and Why and how limiting it's frequency to 1/week or less gets results.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom