all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Pavel Asking You for Article Ideas

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I recently re-read the ES book as I hadn't looked at it for a while. Some thoughts on topics for the revised ES book:

1. Updating in the light of new information both from the literature and practical experience would be great (and I am sure is what is intended).

2. How general ES training should evolve over the lifespan especially in regard to how the aging athlete can\should modify training in order to stay in the game and continue to progress for as long as possible, as safely as possible. [NB note that the Quadrants sections already covers the younger years and the transition from youth to adult (and GPP to SPP) - the main gaps I see are for the aging athlete]

3. Recovery - recovery factors, assessment of recovery, programing modifications to help optimise health and progress allowing for the amount of recovery at a given point in time. Further discussion regarding the balance between ES and sport or other activities.

4. GPP and generalist supplementary training of ES including but not limited to:
- aerobic\ A&A\LISS type training and programing.
- general mobility and general flexibility exercises compatible with ES training, or enhancing it and programing of said exercises. (I say "general" recognizing that diagnosis and prescription of individualised correctives are not possible in such a book).
- grip, neck and calves supplementary ES would be interesting. Noting that it is already covered in Resilient DVD, Beyond Body building and mentioned here and there in some of the other books\DVDs.
NB Item 4. might be done as a new chapter\section on Supplementary training.

5. Further discussion of training for health vs training for performance.

6. ES training for martial artists with guidance for "strikers" vs "grapplers". Perhaps done as a chapter\section or as one of several examples in a chapter showing application to sports. It seems clear that there are quite a lot of martial artists interested in applying ES type approaches as there are a lot of similar questions and themes come up on the SF forum. [NB I note that the "old" ES has information for martial artists of various categories scattered through out it, however, drawing together that information into one spot and updating it in view of changes in literature knowledge and practical experience would be great. A review of the index makes this clear]

7. There is an index in the current version. Please put an index in the revised version. In a book of this type it is very helpful.

I look forward to reading the revised edition of ES.

There are a number of (albeit relatively small) locomotive endurance athletes on the forum. Folks that are running 50+km races cycling long distances, and the like. They are also proponents of the SF methodologies. Many rely on guidance from the folks over at Uphill Athlete but some SF articles and perspective on this topic would be nice.

Thanks
Working on it today!

If you want to increase sets, reps and weight for a particular exercise ( could be bodyweight or iron weights ) are there broad guidelines regarding when you might use the russian fighter ladders approach in preference to the hard day-easy day - medium day - test day approach ?

I read an old Pavel article about Tactical Periodization (Military Fitness Magazine) and was thinking it would be nice to have an article on programming for those that can't follow a rigid program.
Kind of like the Simple Strength for Difficult times article.

1. pick the lifts/movements
2. how to pick volume
3. pick intensity
4. continuation.

I know some of the strongest workout logs that I follow on here rarely are following a specific program and go off principles. Personally I seem to struggle making that jump and something like above would help do that.

How do you know when you are ready to transition from minimalist training to more maximal training?

Russian Weightlifting Team usage of spatial exercises and how to use them correctly.

Thoughts on Sheiko Gold AI? Beginning of the end for online coaching for powerlifting?

I read an old Pavel article about Tactical Periodization (Military Fitness Magazine) and was thinking it would be nice to have an article on programming for those that can't follow a rigid program.
Kind of like the Simple Strength for Difficult times article.

1. pick the lifts/movements
2. how to pick volume
3. pick intensity
4. continuation.

I know some of the strongest workout logs that I follow on here rarely are following a specific program and go off principles. Personally I seem to struggle making that jump and something like above would help do that.
That is a great request, IMO. I second this.

A deeper dive into strength aerobics.

How to program it for short and long term and how to combine it with other types of programming. Ways of customizing it based on available equipment, experience level and goals.

I know @Brett Jones is working on something more in depth but in the meantime I would love to see some more fleshed out information.

Late to this but would love to see Pavel write on:

- Step loading for bodyweight strength work (principles, practicalities, ways to program and progress)

- The Strongfirst Stop Signals (when to stop sets and a workout)

- The benefits of keeping our training simple

- Lessons Learned (What would Pavel do differently if he started his own strength journey over again)?

- Step loading for bodyweight strength work (principles, practicalities, ways to program and progress)
I like this.

Menawhile, you might like this article from the PCC. Somewhat similar to Soju and Tuba.

For those looking for a program maximum I can recommend reading the old but gold "the Russian Kettlebell Challenge" by Pavel. It is still a good book. Great in depth explanations of, for example, the press. And the real gem are Easy Strength style guidelines for a KB program maximum.

I hope I'm not too late to the party when asked about the kind of articles we would want. Since I got the email notification wheels started turning and I finally came back to the message board.

First, simple plans like S+S and PttP are glorious. Having such deep thought and usefulness in plans that are so easy to memorize is great. A training journal almost becomes redundant with these.

The articles section has many excellent articles about proper form. We already have excellent info on how to do an exercise but not as many on how to program that exercise for progress (except for the many KB military press articles).

I would love to see a "minimum and optimum" series that would just look at one exercise (let's pick pullups instead of MP) and it would include two programs. One would be a program to build pullup strength with minimal effort while you do other training. The other would be a program if pullup strength were your #1 goal.

The next article could look at the bench press and provide a program that gives the minimum effort needed to progress in strength and then a program that puts maximal training effort at improvement, or at least "optimum" effort, if more volume is not always desired.

The next article could look at loaded pistol squats. Or any squat. Gymnastic holds like front levers or handstands. Deadlifts have programs like Daily Dose and PttP that are done so quickly that they seem like a fine minimum. Can it be more minimal?

Any exercise could benefit from knowing what will push you to be the best and knowing what will just nudge it forward a little because you are doing something else too.

The minimum and optimum/maximum articles could discuss work for hypertrophy too. Also for accessory exercises. For calf raises, as an example, a plan might say "The minimum is zero. If you do squats you really don't need calf raises for maximum strength" but I don't know that for sure because I do not have the background to say. But similar comments like that could be appropriate with a lot of accessory exercises and it would be nice to know when other accessory exercises are valuable. S+S covered some extras besides Swing and GU and many SF articles discuss goblet squats so it would be nice to hear more in an article series about when to use accessory work, when not to, and what the minimum and max might be.

And +1 to Steve W. about preferring to get info from books over seminars when possible.

When I hoped for simple plans based on deep thought, this is the kind of plan and information I was hoping for:
The reasoning behind the plan is a wonderful treat and it is elegant in simplicity. I look forward to the additional articles in the newsletter that will expand on this idea too.

When I hoped for simple plans based on deep thought, this is the kind of plan and information I was hoping for:
The reasoning behind the plan is a wonderful treat and it is elegant in simplicity. I look forward to the additional articles in the newsletter that will expand on this idea too.
This article is excellent, and actually explains a lot of what is behind the BJJ plan more than the program itself. The program breaks down the movements, adds in more skills like breathing, etc, but I think this explanation of WHY and the future articles of how to incorporate it in other training are going to be super helpful.

ROP was the most productive program I have ever followed in my entire life, no comparison. I wish Pavel would convert it to a full-body template that we could adapt to calisthenics or barbells by swapping in any 5RM push/pull/legs exercises we wanted. I've done it on my own and am pleased with the results, but I'm no Pavel.

From my point of view there are three types of "products" that StrongFirst are delivering, with three different levels of price.

1) Articles and exclusive newsletter material (free)

2) Books (very inexpensive most of the time)

3) Seminars (sometimes very expensive).

For my part books are just as welcome as articles. I will buy all of the products that Pavel puts out there, and ten or twenty dollars is really no cost for the most of us.

Some ideas for articles and books:

1) A program that will help you to achieve snatch test. A program that will help you to reach above snatch test (28 kilo, 32 kilo and SSST).

2) A push-up program.

3) A double kettlebell press program.

4) Some guidelines to how he would recommend us to do Long and slow cardio. How often, how intense, what kind of progress etc etc.

5) a program about training-FOMO.

From my point of view there are three types of "products" that StrongFirst are delivering, with three different levels of price.

1) Articles and exclusive newsletter material (free)

2) Books (very inexpensive most of the time)

3) Seminars (sometimes very expensive).

For my part books are just as welcome as articles. I will buy all of the products that Pavel puts out there, and ten or twenty dollars is really no cost for the most of us.

Some ideas for articles and books:

1) A program that will help you to achieve snatch test. A program that will help you to reach above snatch test (28 kilo, 32 kilo and SSST).

2) A push-up program.

3) A double kettlebell press program.

4) Some guidelines to how he would recommend us to do Long and slow cardio. How often, how intense, what kind of progress etc etc.

5) a program about training-FOMO.
I like this.

There is another product category: Video courses.

I really like the modularized approach that is best exemplified by the Victorious course: In depth instructions on a single exercise + top quality plans. I prefer this to "complete" courses like the KB course, because this way I can better mix and match. (I also don't feel like I need more video instructions on, say, TGUs, already owning several other instructional courses)

Some suggestions in that direction
- a Snatch module by Tim Almond (+ A+A plans) or Derek Toshner
- Bent Press module

After the excellent recent A+A article and a promise of more Strong Endurance-type content, I'd suggest two topics:

- application of viking push presses and dips for Q&D protocols. These may not be suitable for everyone, but there's still a large number of people (likely a majority in case of the former) who could safely and productively use these lifts instead of pushups;

- rep schemes in kettlebell quick lifts, or, more precisely: differences between fast 5s, fast 10s, and fast 20s, a more in-depth explanation for "doubling" reps as compared to grinds, and possible advantages and applications of the less popular fives and twenties.

Back
Top Bottom