Standing 1 arm cable row
30 x 15, 40 x 4 sets of 12

Standing Cable Chest Press
30 x 15, 40 x 4 x 12

Rear Elevated Split Squat
BW x 15, 20 x 12, 25 x 3 sets of 12

Incline Curl
15 x 12, 20 x 2 x 12

Nice easy quick session for "pump" work. Got it done pretty quickly. This is the light day of the week and it felt very refreshing.

Week 2 Day 1

M.E. Grind Day

Warmup Drills

A1) V-grip chin-ups
BW x 5, 10 lbs x 5, 25 x 5, 35 x 5 (top set)
2 x 5 w/ 25 lbs

A2) Press with Log
75 x 5, 95 x 5, 115 x 5, 125 x 4 (miss 5th)
2 x 5 w/ 95 lbs

B) Jefferson Deadlift
135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 5
2 x 5 w/ 275 lbs

Good training day. Log press is nice and awkward. Felt a little all over after the press. Head must be pretty far back so the log can clear and the log seemed to drift forward. Asked a strongwoman competitor at my gym where she gripped the log and she told me it's best to use a thumbs away grip from the outer edge. This makes sense as after the clean, the grip is closer to your body. Will make this adjustment for next M.E. day. Hoping to hit 135 x 3 nest go around. Jefferson deadlift's were also very awkward. Just setting up is a source of confusion. The body seems contorted and off and it's hard to even discern how to properly perform the lift. It's not really a hip hinge or squat, and I felt my right leg was doing quite a bit more work than my left. Alas, it is very easy on the back and the lower body seems to be doing the majority of work. More practice sets next go around.

Day 2 Week 2

Volume

Warmup

A1)High Pull (Snatch Grip)
Bar x 8, 95 x 8, 115 x 8
135 x 8 x 4 sets

A2) Bench Press (narrow(er) grip)
Bar x 8, 95 x 8, 135 x 8
155 x 8, 170 x 8, 160 x 8,8

B) Zercher Squat
135 x 8
205 x 8 x 3 sets

C) Fat Bar Curl
45 x 8, 65 x 8, 55 x 8

First off, I have been sore in my entire posterior chain for a week, pretty much since starting the cycle. Traps, rear delts, upper back, Lats, Hamstrings and glutes have all been hit hard. This is good. I expect soreness will go away the second go around. High Pulls started it off to get it going. A good exercise to hit the upper back and prime me for the other lifts. Ever since reading Chad Waterbury's work, I like to start my sessions with an upper (or full) body pull. 135 was a bit heavy, but went up fine. I just found myself losing balance after the toe rise and making them consecutive reps. Bench with a close grip was next. I think this is one of the best exercises to boost regular bench presses. The narrow grip increases the range of motion, and hits all the pressing muscles hard. Also, as a pretty wide grip and flared elbow bencher, this forces me to tuck. The moment arm on shoulder flexion is much larger, so the upper head of the chest works harder then the sternocoastal head. More on why this is beneficial later.

Zercher squats are like the souls of women, according to led Zeppelin (or more accurately Jake Holmes). They're created below. If Sisyphus had been condemned in modern times, I am certain his daily punishment would consist of zercher squats. The first work set was hard...so hard, I was too tired to lighten the load for the following sets. Alas, they did their job. Finished with some fat bar curls, and sprawled out on the floor.

The Clavicular Head of the chest, shoulder issues and the Bench press

I read this article today and enjoyed it quite a bit.

You're Training Your Pecs Wrong

We are lucky in this day and age to be able to access nearly information we wish at our fingertips. This article sparked much relevance to me in regards to my previous shoulder issues, typically bench press related. When analyzing my technique in this lift, my strongest position is wide grip, with elbows pretty flared. This has always been my strongest, even after my pec tear. Now I realize most of us here at SF aren't bodybuilders. Heck, I've yet to meet one here. However, I think in certain circumstances, we can all agree that having a weak muscle group can certainly hold back a lift and it's important to address this and work to improve that muscle's contribution.

The way to address this, however, will differ for a strength athlete than a bodybuilder. Pavel touches on this topic in PTTP Pro. While a bodybuilder can isolate said muscle group, in order for a strength athlete, or in our case, lifter, to address this issue is through specialized variety. The Digby Sale law states hypertrophy and strength of a muscle group is specific to the action that created the hypertrophy in the first place. I.e. leg extension increase in size and strength will help leg extension strength, not necessarily squat strength. However, one can circumvent the DS law by training the isolation exercise and compound lift in circuit fashion, leading to neuroplasticity, or a rewiring of neurons to integrate separate actions in to a single function. Paul Anderson was known to do such training when he alternated good mornings and squats.

In my case of the bench press, a lift I've struggled with for years, I noticed most of my issues derive from an early elbow flare. In review of the article earlier posted, I've deduced that the possibility of having an overly activated sternocoastal pec has decreased the contributions of my clavicular head. This seems to be a common finding among those who have suffered shoulder injuries. Cause or effect? I can't say.
What I can say is the role of shoulder flexion, which is the burden of the clavicular head and deltoid, is weak in my bench press. This is why my elbow flares. To throw the load from shoulder flexion to abduction, a role of the sternocoastal head. Weak triceps and lats are also other possibilities, but if that were the case, I think my pullup strength would suffer, along with my overhead strength. However, I have noticed since my injury, my presses have started from a "hovering" position above the clavicle. This high start position bypasses the area of the lift where the upper head of the pecs would be most active. For this reason, the close grip, elbows tucked bench press is a great accessory lift for me, as well as the incline press. These lifts will help develop a weaker position and muscle group that could be a key to improving my bench press.

Good work.

Where'd you learn how to do the zercher squat? As you've seen I've recently started doing it myself. If I understand right, there are a couple of different ways to do it.

Your later post was an interesting read. The specificity of strength is something I wonder about as well. But in your example, you separate leg extension from squat. But wouldn't the same stand for the pull-up and the overhead press when it comes to the bench press? How specific is lat or triceps strength? In my own experience, as an example, I think my kettlebell press helped my overhead press, but neither helped my bench press, which helped both of them. I really don't know how this works, but I wonder and theorize.

Good work.

Where'd you learn how to do the zercher squat? As you've seen I've recently started doing it myself. If I understand right, there are a couple of different ways to do it.

Your later post was an interesting read. The specificity of strength is something I wonder about as well. But in your example, you separate leg extension from squat. But wouldn't the same stand for the pull-up and the overhead press when it comes to the bench press? How specific is lat or triceps strength? In my own experience, as an example, I think my kettlebell press helped my overhead press, but neither helped my bench press, which helped both of them. I really don't know how this works, but I wonder and theorize.

Thanks @Antti! Yes I did notice you also did Zerchers the same day as I! However, I felt I couldn't comment because I am no means an expert on said lift! I started training Zercher's at home when my former gym closed down because it was a means of squatting the barbell without the need of a rack since you can deadlift it first. I don't recall where I read about them. Could be Pavel, Old strongman sources, Christian Thibs at t-nation. I don't think there's necessarily a wrong way to zercher, assuming proper position is held in spine and hips, but whatever suits your unique anatomy. There are differences in how you hold the barbell, as arms crossed seems more comfortable to me and allows more weight to be used, whereas arms uncrossed, the style you used, seems to force the upper back more into action. And yes, you make a good point about carryover to lifts and specifics of lat and triceps strength. I think the best predictor of bench and triceps strength is how close your close grip and regular grip benches are. However, some folks are stronger in a close grip. They probably don't have triceps weakness, alas it may be because it's easier on their shoulders or they've had injury. As far as pullups go, I use it as a gage as it's pretty hard to tell with barbell rows for a few reasons. Is it a strict row we should gage or a loose row? I'd think the lower back would hold you back in the former while in the latter, momentum sways whether or not your lats are doing the work. When doing pullups, I try to use a grip similar to my bench and "lean away" to mimic the horizontal nature of the bench. There's an article on dragondoor worth a read about using pullups to up your bench in said manner. As far as carryover to other lifts, it will be different for everyone. I think a lot of us forget the power of the mind and intent. Jim Wendler states belief is stronger than science, and I have to agree. When you pick your assistance exercises, wisely, and you train them with the intent of your main lift, it changes their purpose. Another reason I zercher squat from the floor instead of a rack, is because my sumo deadlift and low bar stance re nearly identical. I train it this way because I believe that starting the lift in the stance will help me integrate this lift into my main lift and when I perform it, I imagine it putting all the drive it my muscles responsible for helping my deadlift, without having to perform extra strain on the back, which happens with the deadlift. Some lifts will help more than others as well. Jim Wendler, CT, Pat Casey have all stated when their overhead goes up, their bench goes right along with it. However, you can find many, many big benchers who don't overhead press at all! In the end, we really are our own test subjects. The best way, I've found for me, is to gather what I know, and learn more and put it into practice. One way or another, I'll learn something valuable.

Yes, individual anatomy plays a role. I also agree it makes sense to adjust the assistance exercises so that they carry over to the main lifts as well as possibly. Like how I now do the rows to the chest with a bench grip.

When it comes to the rows I think I can do a lot of rows. I row to the hips on one day and to the sternum on another. The bar path dictates the angle of the body and also pretty much how much one can cheat with the reps. I don't think a little bit of cheating is bad in the assistance exercises. Sure, too much is too much. And adding on those rows there's lat pulldowns, pulley rows, dumbbell rows. I often feel like the upper back recovers quickly and how the strength, and recovery demands, in it are strangely specific to the type of row I do.

I too have read that many find that overhead press strength drives up their bench. It didn't work for me. But it may be that it starts working at some point. It would make sense it depends on the specific weakness in the bench.

Yes. That makes sense. I think for rows, "cheating" is just part of the lift. The upper back also holds so many more muscles than the front of the body. Yes. I find the most effective assistance exercises are usually ones your are much weaker at. In your case, since your press is strong, it probably doesn't help the bench so much. I see a lot of strongman, some at my gym, who bench barely more than they press. One rather large fellow Oh press almost 400 and benches about 445. That's almost 90 % strength press to bench ratio! Granted, they don't practice benching as much because it's not as essential to their sport.

Day 3 Week 2

Pump

Mobility Warmup

A1) Rope Pulldowns
30 x 20, 40 x 15
50 x 12 x 4 sets
A2) High Incline D-bell Press
30 x 15
40 x 12 x 4 sets

B1) D-Bell RDL
40 (per hand) x 12, 50 x 12, 60 x12,12
B2) French Press
45 x 12, 65 x 12, 85 x 12

Nice easy session to end the week. Set the incline pretty high so it didn't interfere with Monday's M.E. incline press day. Got a nice stretch on dumbbell RDL's. Trying to keep perfect back angle and keep it on my hamstrings. The French press felt strong. Went heavier then I thought I could. Felt good.

It has been a very interesting week. I haven't kept up with my training log, though I have trained. Firstly, last weekend on Saturday at my sister's house, I got the mad chills....and it went downhill from there. Fast forward many sleepless night due to constant coughing, waking up with crusted over eyes, etc, I m feeling a bit better albeit not entirely recuperated. I got the news this week that my gym will be closing. This saddened me as gyms like mine, close knit members, optimal equipment, reasonable rates and close distance, are hard to come by. One of my close co-workers left work for a better job and another confided in me about her troubling home life. It has been quite a load lately. However, I have kept up with my one constant despite everything. Training is still here.

Monday

Max Effort Day

Close Grip 2 Board Press
Bar x 5, 35 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 3, 240 x3
B.O Sets - 225 x 3,3

Zercher Rack Squat
135 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 5, 315 x 5, 365 x 2
B.O. Sets - 315 x 3,3

I had to change max effort lifts because the other lifts didn't test well. Oddly, my pecs were sore for the first time after incline dumbbell presses on Friday. The cold/flu/whatever also made me ache in a few other places. The only horizontal press that didn't seem affected was close grip on couple of boards. So that it was. The Zercher Squats were above parallel, more closely resembling to my sumo deadlift than to a squat, but for max effort it makes sense to go with heavier exercises to me. I see why they are rotated so frequently now.

Day 2

Volume Day

A1) Chinups
BW x 5, 25 x 5, 35 x 5, 45 x 5, 35 x 5, 25 x 5

A2) Behind The Neck Press
Bar x 8, 75 x 8, 95 x 5, 105 x 5, 115 x 5, 105 x 5, 95 x 5

B) Snatch Grip RDL
Bar x 8, 135 x 8, 185 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 5, 205 x 5, 185 x 5

These sets are done at ascending, peak and descending fives. Some volume, some heavy weights. The Chins were pretty tough. Last rep a little squirmy. Probably could've gone heavier on the BTN presses but no problem. RDL's left me sore in my hamsters again.

Friday

Pump

A1) Cable Rows
30 x 20, 4o x 20
50 x 15 x 3 sets

A2) Cable Chest Press
30 x 20, 40 x 20,
50 x 15 x 3 sets

B1)RESS
20 x 8
25 x 15 x 3 sets

B2) Incline Curl
25 x 15, 20 x 15

Nothing fancy. Still like ending the week on this neat little pump day. It's refreshing and easy on the spine. Incline Curls make me make ugly face more then deadlifts....which might not be a good thing. But I'm not really a pump and burn guy so when I do get it, it does burn. Who said bodybuilding was easy?

Day 1 Max Effort

Chinups
6 x 5 reps

Press off Racks (Forehead level)
Bar x 5, 95x 5, 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 175 x 3, 185 x 4
165 x 5 x 2 sets

Deadlift off Mats (3 inches)
135 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 5, 315 x 5, 365 x 3, 405 x miss

Was a bit exhausted today. Work was very busy. Presses and chins were fine. Deadlifts weren't the best. 365 came up easily, I thought I had 405 easy. it did not budge. Sadly, I've pulled more from the floor in the past...Alas, my rack pull has oddly always been a little bit lower than my pull from the floor for some reason. Maybe my back is weak, but I have a heck of a time getting the bar moving from this position for some reason. Ig may be because I can't activate much quad at this height?

Interesting idea about pressing off racks at forehead level. What's your reasoning behind that? Help the press lockout, triceps strength?

When it comes to partial deadlifts, I think it's always the hardest to start the lift right at the hardest point. We typically go by those with momentum from the earlier, stronger part of the lift. When starting from the sticking point it's always the first inch that's the hardest, getting it moving, after it it gets easy. Have you tried deadlifting from the ground, but stopping just a few inches over the floor, and then finishing the lift? Could be that it too hits the weak point, but maybe gets you in a better position, and more tight in the spot. But of course, in general it's a harder lift than partials and demands more recovery.

Interesting idea about pressing off racks at forehead level. What's your reasoning behind that? Help the press lockout, triceps strength?

When it comes to partial deadlifts, I think it's always the hardest to start the lift right at the hardest point. We typically go by those with momentum from the earlier, stronger part of the lift. When starting from the sticking point it's always the first inch that's the hardest, getting it moving, after it it gets easy. Have you tried deadlifting from the ground, but stopping just a few inches over the floor, and then finishing the lift? Could be that it too hits the weak point, but maybe gets you in a better position, and more tight in the spot. But of course, in general it's a harder lift than partials and demands more recovery.

YEs to the first part. I tend to blast the weight over my head, but it stalls actually right above my head. The forehead is little lower than the sticky region, or perhaps right where it begins. it's funny, most of my lifts, save for the deadlift, all have an explosive start and stick just above the halfway point. Yes, as well to the second one. I think my quads help save my deadlift. My hamstrings are what I believe to be the weak link, and they definitely are needed to provide the juice at that angle, after the quads have stopped contributing. I did do that variation, but never stuck around with it for too long. It was at a time I figured I was still too weak to do any other practice but the big lifts themselves and ironically I'm beginning to have that thought again in the midst of practicing all these "variations".

I'm pretty much the same with the press, fast off the chest, slowing down towards the end. Maybe I too should work more on the triceps. Maybe not.

I know that I have at times overanalyzed my lifting. For example, my deadlifting weak point, I thought I had problems locking out. But maybe I just have problems where the lift is hardest in general. Maybe it is that the beginning of the lift is easy, but it doesn't mean that I'm specifically weak at a certain point, or that just doing the basic exercise wouldn't be the best cure for my weakness. Then again, I don't really see a problem doing variations, but I think they should be done holistically, and not at the expense of the main exercise. As an interesting aside, in PTTP Pro Pavel talks about how the Russian weightlifters trained the press. They did a lot of variations. But the points, in this case, are that they did a lot of variations, not just one, and the variations didn't take the place of the main exercise.

I'm pretty much the same with the press, fast off the chest, slowing down towards the end. Maybe I too should work more on the triceps. Maybe not.

I know that I have at times overanalyzed my lifting. For example, my deadlifting weak point, I thought I had problems locking out. But maybe I just have problems where the lift is hardest in general. Maybe it is that the beginning of the lift is easy, but it doesn't mean that I'm specifically weak at a certain point, or that just doing the basic exercise wouldn't be the best cure for my weakness. Then again, I don't really see a problem doing variations, but I think they should be done holistically, and not at the expense of the main exercise. As an interesting aside, in PTTP Pro Pavel talks about how the Russian weightlifters trained the press. They did a lot of variations. But the points, in this case, are that they did a lot of variations, not just one, and the variations didn't take the place of the main exercise.

It's hard to say what would help certain lifts. I honestly believe that our weakpoints will always be the same, even as we get stronger but that we can train them to understand how to better deal with them when we hit them. I akin it to rehearsing a musical passage. If there's one little part that gives you trouble but you're solid on the rest, you practice the part before that part and a bit before it instead of running through the whole song and continually hitting that part, messing up and starting back from the beginning. However, training the lift through and through is still a must, just like rehearsing the whole song. You need both I believe, just like your example with Pavel. I don't know if it's because my triceps, external rotators, etc. are weak. I think it' just the transition phase of one muscle passing the load onto the other, meaning neural, thus probably the best way (as usual) is to practice the whole lift smoothly and tight. There is, however, Pavel's comment on Paul Anderson and how he witnessed a lifter ram a press with no breaks or muscle transition hiccups all the way to lockup. He (Pavel) deduced, without a doubt, that said lifter had trained the lift from a partial ROM and gradually increased the ROM with that weight to full ROM. I believe it's from Beyond Bodybuilding in the Progressive ROM section.

I also feel that I have strayed a bit with exercise variation, and though fun, I question what direct strength gains to my total it will yield. In my analysis, I've found it's best to return to a simpler method of training.

Back
Top Bottom